The Derek Chauvin Trial

vikorr

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2021 02:04 pm
@vikorr,
By the way, for old schoolers - language is never immutable. I can't remember the last time I heard someone say "At what are you looking?", which is what would be known as correct English, but sounds out of place today.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2021 02:20 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I don't think Tryagain knows what the word "pedantry" means.

I think he does, but just in case anyone else is confused: Merriam Webster "it typically describes an irritating person who is eager to correct small errors others make, or who wants everyone to know just how much of an expert they are, especially in some narrow or boring subject matter."
Joeblow

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2021 02:36 pm
@glitterbag,
Honest to god belly laugh!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2021 02:46 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

By the way, for old schoolers - language is never immutable. I can't remember the last time I heard someone say "At what are you looking?", which is what would be known as correct English, but sounds out of place today.

Sounds like Yoda
vikorr

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2021 03:12 pm
@snood,
Wow, good call !
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2021 03:39 pm
I am the grammar nerd about whom your mother warned you.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2021 04:09 pm
Commentary on the Chauvin sentencing, the upcoming trials of the three other officers, or anything related to inequality and injustice of law enforcement

are still welcome...
BillW

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2021 05:28 pm
@snood,
I believe and would advise them to plead and talk to prosecutors before trial begins.
Quote:
For 3 other cops facing trial in George Floyd’s death, will blaming Derek Chauvin work?
By STEVE KARNOWSKI

“I would expect the theme of all three would be, ‘That’s a really bad thing that Chauvin did. I didn’t like it. I’m not responsible for what happened,’” former Ramsey County prosecutor Susan Gaertner said.
Lane and Kueng can argue they were rookies, in just their first week as full-fledged cops, and felt a need to defer to Chauvin — their training officer — when he pinned Floyd’s neck to the ground with his knee for nearly 9 1/2 minutes as Floyd shouted repeatedly that he couldn’t breathe before going silent, then limp.

“Those two rookies have a facially different defense, and a very real factual defense, as compared to Chauvin,” Heffelfinger said.

Lane might have the best defense. Body camera video shows he asked the other officers if they should turn Floyd on his side — and Chauvin said no.

Local defense attorney Joe Friedberg said the evidence at Chauvin’s trial showed that Lane was “trying to use as little force as possible” before Chauvin arrived and took charge.

Kueng can be heard reporting to Chauvin at one point that he could not find Floyd’s pulse.
Thao can argue that it was crowd control, keeping an agitated group of about 15 onlookers at a safe distance, and that he largely had his back to the other officers and Floyd.

“His defense could be, ‘I was just present and it takes more than presence to make a crime,’” Heffelfinger said.

But one of the onlookers Thao specifically ordered to stand back was Genevieve Hansen, a Minneapolis firefighter who can be heard on video pleading repeatedly for officers to check Floyd’s pulse. Hansen cried on the witness stand at Chauvin’s trial as she described her frustration at being prevented from coming to Floyd’s aid.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-world/ct-aud-nw-george-floyd-death-officers-20210425-gjde7ihmdbd3xkqf4ofcb3i7k4-story.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2021 08:02 pm
I have a nagging thought that Chauvin was showing off to the rookies, demonstrating how far they could go.
Ragman

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2021 08:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
Sounds quite plausible.
BillW

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2021 08:13 pm
@Ragman,
Remember, Chauvin had a prior incident when he held the "perp" down for 17 minutes - he might of figured he had plenty of time! Showing off to the rookies sure makes sense.
Quote:
After Chauvin's conviction for Floyd murder, DOJ weighs charging him for 2017 incident involving Black teen: Source

The judge in Chauvin's murder trial didn't let lawyers bring up the incident.

...............Chauvin striking a Black teenager in the head so hard that the boy needed stitches, then allegedly holding the boy down with his knee for nearly 17 minutes, and allegedly ignoring complaints from the boy that he couldn't breathe.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/chauvins-conviction-floyd-murder-doj-weighs-charging-2017/story?id=77254006
BillW

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2021 08:41 pm
@BillW,
Chauvin was married to a Hmong women. Kellie Chauvin had said in the past he was a "softie"
( https://meaww.com/derek-chauvin-kellie-change-name-divorce-filing-life-career-love-life-husband-george-floyd ) but filed for divorce just 3 days after Chauvin murdered Floyd with a request for a name change. She had divorced her 1st husband because he was abusive.

Her birth name is Thao, the same as Tou Thao; another police officer who is charged in this case. They are both Hmong, but not related.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2021 10:03 am
There is something fishy going on with the Sherriff in Elizabeth City, NC. He has promised the release of the body cam video, and then retracted the promise. The family lawyers were promised a viewing at 11:30 EST. Then they got a text saying “sorry, but there need to be redactions.”

Redactions?

I think what may be so touchy is that the video is of a half dozen police officers firing wildly at an unarmed man in a car as it’s moving away - hitting him in the back and killing him.

But of course that’s speculation- until they release the RAW, unredacted video in it’s entirety.
engineer

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2021 12:12 pm
@snood,
This one feels pretty egregious even though there are very few details. Looking for the bodycam data to confirm or present another narrative. So far, it seems like the police show up in force, the guy gets in his car to drive away and multiple policemen start firing into the car, blowing out the back window, shooting him in the back and killing him. The sheriff keeps saying he wants transparency but he is hampered by state laws (in NC, bodycam recordings are not public records.)
snood

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2021 12:15 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

This one feels pretty egregious even though there are very few details. Looking for the bodycam data to confirm or present another narrative. So far, it seems like the police show up in force, the guy gets in his car to drive away and multiple policemen start firing into the car, blowing out the back window, shooting him in the back and killing him. The sheriff keeps saying he wants transparency but he is hampered by state laws (in NC, bodycam recordings are not public records.)

Right but a court order will supersede the state law, and I thought there had already been a court order.
engineer

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2021 12:30 pm
@snood,
This NPR article says the sheriff is trying to obtain one.

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/26/990842420/elizabeth-city-n-c-declares-emergency-before-release-of-bodycam-video-of-shootin
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2021 02:03 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

There is something fishy going on with the Sherriff in Elizabeth City, NC. He has promised the release of the body cam video, and then retracted the promise. The family lawyers were promised a viewing at 11:30 EST. Then they got a text saying “sorry, but there need to be redactions.”

Redactions?

I think what may be so touchy is that the video is of a half dozen police officers firing wildly at an unarmed man in a car as it’s moving away - hitting him in the back and killing him.

But of course that’s speculation- until they release the RAW, unredacted video in it’s entirety.

Here is someone's tweet aboutthat
"This was an execution."
~attorney for family of #AndrewBrownJr

They say he drove away only after being shot at while he sat in the car with his hands visible on the steering wheel.

No wonder they're hiding.
engineer

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2021 02:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
Story with comments from the family attorney.

Quote:
Only two family members were allowed in to see a small clip of the video, which was about 20 seconds long, said family attorney Ben Crump, who gave a press conference after the meeting.

“Let’s be clear, this was an execution,” said family attorney Chantel Cherry-Lassiter, who took notes as she watched the video with the family members. “Andrew Brown was in his driveway, and his hands were on his steering wheel [when officers] ran up to his vehicle shooting.”

The video seen by the family did not begin from the start of the confrontation with Brown, lawyers said.

Attorneys said shots were already being fired at the man as the 20-second video began.

Lassiter said Brown’s hands remained on the steering wheel as officers continued shooting at him.

At one point Brown began to back out the driveway to escape the gunfire and managed to pull away until the car came to rest after crashing into a tree. Lassiter said officers had the vehicle surrounded and were chasing the vehicle on foot while still firing their guns at Brown.
snood

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2021 02:37 pm
@engineer,
Damn
BillW

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2021 02:52 pm
@snood,
Stray bullets flying around a neighborhood, ricocheting in all directions! Heard there were all sorts of long guns being fired. So a 5.56mm round can penetrate walls and kill people in their bed. Big deal, they got their dangerous perp!😣😱😢
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 12:44:25