The Derek Chauvin Trial

hightor

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2021 11:20 am
@revelette3,
Quote:
What I want to know is why the police seem to shoot first as a matter of course in most cases?

I believe it's a complex interaction between several factors. One thing is USAmerican culture — f***ing cop shows, for instance. How many cop shows have kids, especially boys, watched as they were growing up? The cops are handsome and strong, they're always right, the suspects are always guilty, and there's a gunfight in every show. And there are aspects of police culture which grow out of this indoctrination. Watch the movie Serpico to get an idea how this works. Another factor is the kind of person who's attracted to the job — for every man or woman who truly wants to serve and protect there must be three or four times as many who just like the idea of being a legal kick-ass bully with a club and a gun. And, of course, having one political party which will defend anything you do must be very encouraging.
snood

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2021 11:50 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
What I want to know is why the police seem to shoot first as a matter of course in most cases?

I believe it's a complex interaction between several factors. One thing is USAmerican culture — f***ing cop shows, for instance. How many cop shows have kids, especially boys, watched as they were growing up? The cops are handsome and strong, they're always right, the suspects are always guilty, and there's a gunfight in every show. And there are aspects of police culture which grow out of this indoctrination. Watch the movie Serpico to get an idea how this works. Another factor is the kind of person who's attracted to the job — for every man or woman who truly wants to serve and
protect there must be three or four times as many who just like the idea of being a legal kick-ass bully with a club and a gun. And, of course, having one political party which will defend anything you do must be very encouraging.

It’s astounding that you don’t name the fact that cops are quicker to use deadly force when they see a dark skinned person as one of your “factors”.
Maybe you don’t think it is?
roger

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2021 11:52 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

Quote:
What do you think about making it legal to run over political protestors?
that one is so absurd that it might as well have come from The Onion...
It looks like it only applies when one guy breaks your windshield and several others are trying to drag you out of the car. In other words, as a matter of self defense.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2021 11:56 am
@roger,
You’ll probably smash your windscreen when you drive into the crowd, and you’ll most likely get dragged out by the survivors.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2021 12:31 pm
@snood,
The question was about the use of guns in general. Of course, in the USA, racism is implied if we're discussing specific interactions but my response wasn't supposed to be an exhaustive encyclopedic treatment of every aspect of the topic. I didn't mention economic factors either.
Quote:

Why would you would jump to that conclusion? Obviously racism underlies this whole discussion.
snood

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2021 01:04 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

The question was about the use of guns in general. Of course, in the USA, racism is implied if we're discussing specific interactions but my response wasn't supposed to be an exhaustive encyclopedic treatment of every aspect of the topic. I didn't mention economic factors either.
Quote:

Why would you would jump to that conclusion? Obviously racism underlies this whole discussion.

Sometimes what you don’t say is conspicuous in its absence.

I also notice that when I’ve pointed out something missing on several occasions your answer is that I should have just assumed what your position is, because, of course...

For instance, an answer to a question about whether you acknowledge how your white privilege allows you a certain detachment when discussing racial matters.

Then you question why I would jump to a certain conclusion.

I’ll tell you this hightor, and I hope you hear and understand. These days I don’t feel like I can just casually assume anything about what white men think and feel about black people. Not white men I’ve know for decades. And certainly not white men I barely know.

So excuse me if I need you to be extra clear about certain things.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2021 02:28 pm
@snood,
I remember listening to interviews with LA policemen and it was clear that they were scared on the job, scared of black people. They're trained that way, told that their job is extremely dangerous, that every traffic stop could be your last. Some interesting reading.

What are Police Thinking?
Fear as an element of police culture
How Fear Contributes to Cops' Use of Deadly Force

From the last article
Quote:
During the summer of 1967, police and military resources were deployed on a large scale to quell civil disturbances in scores of American cities. In Newark and Detroit alone, more than 50 civilians were killed in less than a week. Many of the officers and guardsmen involved were young, inexperienced and unfamiliar with local conditions. They especially were afraid of sniper attacks, and this fear led to indiscriminate firing and multiple fatalities. According to the Kerner Commission report on the protests, “most reported sniping incidents were demonstrated to be gunfire by either police or National Guardsmen… The climate of fear and expectation of violence created by such exaggerated, sometimes totally erroneous, reports demonstrates the serious risks of overreaction and excessive use of force.”

In contrast with the jittery police and guardsmen, one section of Detroit was policed by professional soldiers, one-fifth of them black, under the command of General John L. Throckmorton. Recognizing that the city was “saturated with fear,” Throckmorton “felt that the major task of the troops was to… restore an air of normalcy.” Within hours of their arrival, “the area occupied by them was the quietest in the city,” the Kerner Commission found. The troops “had strict orders not to fire unless they could see the specific person at whom they were aiming,” and mass fire was forbidden. Over five days, Throckmorton’s troops expended about 200 rounds of ammunition, almost none of it after the first few hours. Meanwhile, in Newark, guardsmen and state police expended more than 3,000 rounds in three days.
hightor

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2021 02:47 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
They're trained that way, told that their job is extremely dangerous, that every traffic stop could be your last.

Study Shows Black Cops Just as Likely to Kill Black Suspects as White Cops

Quote:
Implicit bias toward black men by police is nothing new, and it is not limited to white officers. Black officers can also have implicit bias toward black men because in the case of police forces, that implicit bias is institutional.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2021 05:33 pm
A tweet I just read:
Breaking: Derek Chauvin is facing more charges for a 2017 attack on a black teenager where he was holding the boy down with his knee for nearly 17 minutes, and allegedly ignoring complaints from the boy that he couldn't breathe."
snood

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2021 05:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

A tweet I just read:
Breaking: Derek Chauvin is facing more charges for a 2017 attack on a black teenager where he was holding the boy down with his knee for nearly 17 minutes, and allegedly ignoring complaints from the boy that he couldn't breathe."

That’s remarkable. I hope that’s not just a tweet, but something that’s really in the works.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2021 05:55 pm
I just heard Paul Butler, a black defense attorney, make a really good point.

These next prosecutions of the three other officers( Keung, Lane and Thao)for aiding and abetting murder might have an even more significant impact on policing in the future than the Chauvin trial.

If officers who stood by and did nothing while their fellow officer committed a crime can be made to pay a penalty, that might send a chilling message to cops who have a choice in future incidents to intercede or to do nothing.

This might go right at the heart of what’s been the problem all along: That, even if the “good cops” outnumber the “bad cops”, evil still wins if they stand by their fellow cop rather than standing by their oath to uphold the law.
snood

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2021 06:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
Found it:

This guy has been doing dirt a long time

Seems there is video of Chauvin hitting a black teenager in the head so hard it required stitches, then holding him down in much the same way as he did Floyd as the boy pleads for mercy - for 17 minutes.
BillW

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2021 06:05 pm
@snood,
There are a lot of good things that can come out of these trials, for instance - two of them are rookies. They may be willing to trade some information. But, I agree with you - there is presidency in these trials.

For me, I believe there is an "under world" of White Supremacist cops. I want this world to be revealed. There was a lot of questions regarding the 1/6/2021 insurrection with the cops aiding and abetting the insurrectionists!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2021 07:15 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Found it:

This guy has been doing dirt a long time

Seems there is video of Chauvin hitting a black teenager in the head so hard it required stitches, then holding him down in much the same way as he did Floyd as the boy pleads for mercy - for 17 minutes

Great. I didn't have time to search it earlier.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2021 12:30 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Who wants to make it a crime to insult a policeman?
Ie.they want to make it illegal
Brandon9000 wrote:
This is intolerable, ignorant, and unconstitutional. The only limitation on speech I could accept would be against an invocation to imminent violence like "Kill him."
You complain making it illegal to "insult a policement" would be unconstitutional...then when asked about other types of freedoms of speech in this post
...state / imply that you are happy with those types being illegal.

Perhaps you could clarify why you object to one being illegal on constitutional grounds, and not the others.

snood

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2021 07:29 am
I don’t get the delay here. Initially they were saying “two weeks or so” until Chauvin’s sentencing. Now they set the date at June 16.

Should it really take that long to come to a decision?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2021 07:40 am
@snood,
I think they may be looking for a legal way to let him off the hook.
engineer

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2021 07:42 am
@edgarblythe,
More likely he is just another convicted felon in the queue waiting for his court date in an understaffed system.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2021 07:57 am
@engineer,

and getting acquainted with his new pals...
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2021 07:58 am
@snood,
I can't find it, but I think 8 weeks may have been what the judge initially stated. I was surprised when you wrote 2!

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 11:32:10