The Derek Chauvin Trial

izzythepush

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 01:54 pm
@Joeblow,
Over here the prosecution can appeal if they believe the sentence is unduly lenient. Is that the case over there?
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 01:56 pm
I'm in Canada, but yeah I think so.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 02:20 pm
@Joeblow,
Joeblow wrote:

I think we will see more than the minimum. Perhaps significantly more. Or, failing that, if it is the minimum for each offence, that the court will order each sentence be served consecutively, rather than congruently. It might be wishful thinking, and we'll know soon enough, but there are aggravating factors, and I think the prosecution quite rightly asked that they be reflected in the sentencing.

The sentences will not be consecutive. A former DA who was analyzing the possible outcomes on HLN said that.

Whatever the years are, they will be served concur, with the longest sentence controlling.
BillW

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 03:10 pm
@snood,
25 years with timeoff for good behavior - total guess.
Joeblow

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 03:11 pm
@snood,
Ah. I've missed nearly all the speculation. Wishing out loud maybe.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 03:13 pm
@BillW,
I say 12 years with eligibility for parole after 8.
With time taken off for time served, he actually only serves about 6 years.
BillW

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 03:55 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

I say 12 years with eligibility for parole after 8.
With time taken off for time served, he actually only serves about 6years.

Probably closer to reality! He can also receive governor's pardons and extended probations.
Joeblow

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 03:57 pm
@snood,
**** no.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 03:59 pm
@BillW,
Govenor's pardons?

Again, **** no.
BillW

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 03:59 pm
@Joeblow,
Yeap!
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 04:09 pm
The Governor is not a Republican true? And at least Trump is no longer in office.
BillW

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 04:10 pm
@Tai Chi,
What about 8-10 years from now? It is a state offense, President can't touch it.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 04:29 pm
@Joeblow,
Joeblow wrote:

Govenor's pardons?

Again, **** no.

This is all speculation, of course - but since it’s “**** no” to my guess, what’s your guess about how long he will be sentenced to serve?
vikorr

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 05:20 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
Not sure the way to handle this - but I know it is not allowing police officers to kill someone who is at the time - not a threat. I think if there is a way to change the mentality some how - maybe not to report someone in the traditional sense - but that it would be ok and they would feel safe for a fellow police officer to step in when something like this is going on and say Hey stop you are going too far,
I rather agree. It requires cultural change, even while is driven by everyday human skills & reactions to conflict & abuse. The only way I see it changing is for police departments to put in place institutionalised support for cultural change - that is, mandatory & regular:
- mental health resilience training (how to process abuse, how to let it go, etc)
- training in communication

Mental health reslience is self explanatory, but most people, I daresay police included, don't understand the need to treat everyone with respect in conflict situations - which is much of what police do. It would be too tempting too talk down to a criminal, rather than firmly and respectfully tell them off. The truth is, I've never seen disrespect achieve anything...except generating dislike. If done often enough, it generates hate...then further down the line - preparedness to do violence. And in todays world, it appears to me that 'berating' someone respectfully is a rather lost art.

But growing peoples mental health resilience, and improving their communication is not a 'one day training' bandaid exercise. Actual achievement of it would require regular (or prolonged) training, which would require large budget increases. I'm not sure how many departments have such, so we get what we get...and try and put bandaids on it.

I don't think it's as a pretty picture. Still, a bandaid is better than nothing, and should help (some), just so long as it is recognised as a bandaid, rather than an actual fix.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 06:08 pm
I think one step towards police reform would be to require an investigation every time an officer pulls a gun from the holster. Take the officers who pulled guns on an Army medic during a traffic stop in Virginia (then pepper sprayed him at gunpoint then let him go telling him if he said anything they would report him to his superiors.) If they knew that pulling the guns would result in an automatic investigation, they might have thought twice.
snood

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 06:25 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I think one step towards police reform would be to require an investigation every time an officer pulls a gun from the holster. Take the officers who pulled guns on an Army medic during a traffic stop in Virginia (then pepper sprayed him at gunpoint then let him go telling him if he said anything they would report him to his superiors.) If they knew that pulling the guns would [url][/url]result in an automatic investigation, they might have thought twice.

That’s not a bad idea. I’ve seen a lot of good ideas for possible police reform that might stem the police violence.

The reforms need to be federally mandated and not left to the good graces of local precincts.

When police investigate police (or even when the local DA’s office does an investigation- DA’s and police work in cahoots too often) there is never anything done. There are already a bunch of disparate laws on the books, supposedly strictly governing whenever an officer uses his service weaponry. The problem is we allow the cops to be their own governing authority.

Until now, presidents and congress have been skittish and unwilling to hold commissions and write and pass bills that mandate police behavior.
They’re making noises now that momentum had been created from the latest tragedies to pass the George Floyd Justice In Policing Act. It is an excellent, comprehensive police reform bill that contains things like banning choke holds, limiting qualified immunity and prohibiting racial profiling. Check it out Here
BillW

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 07:41 pm
@snood,
Number 1 offense:

"prohibiting racial profiling"

then carrying it to far! Police know how to handle all kinds of situations with white motorists, pedestrians, house searches, arrests, etc; without firing a gun. It just doesn't compute that it changes when it is a black/brown person.

And, when comes to get money for the mayors, DAs, etc. pet projects; it shouldn't just be a unreasonable percentage of black/brown people who are given tickets.

Lastly, if a black/brown person is wanted on a monetary misdemeanor - please don't draw a gun or hand cuff the perp. Common sense for all! Actually, these people aren't really even peeps, so shouldn't really use the term here. I just believe that is the mind thought of the law officers in these situations!

By the way, these are only a couple of do's/don't's.
snood

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 07:52 pm
@BillW,
Tonight Chris Cuomo was showing a series of videos where a black person was being beaten or shot by police. He showed several of them. Then he said that he has white people tell him all the time that he is exaggerating - that the same things happen to white people, even more than blacks, they say.
So then he issued a challenge. He said they should send him all the videos of whites being brutalized and shot and killed by police. He said “And you won’t send them, know why? Because they don’t exist!”

There’s a whole “news” network that broadcasts the lie everyday that there is no systemic racism, and that there is no police brutality problem. And there are tens of millions of Americans for whom that network is the only place they get their information.

That’s why the problem is so hard to eradicate.

BillW

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 07:59 pm
@snood,
What about the State regulations that currently being raised in states to restrict BLM "riots" because they are so "violent". It is a proven fact that they are 97-8% peaceful. It is a further fact that the break-in at stores caused by right wing white groups

Just the break-ins mind you, of course pictures then come in of blacks/browns looting.

Who covers this deal - Fox as being Antics (whatever the help Antics is)!
snood

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 08:14 pm
@BillW,
Yes! The right’s reaction to the George Floyd murder - both before and after the verdicts- has been to hastily stand up a bunch of legislation aimed at BLM protesters.
A law that makes it a crime to insult a policeman ( like the bystanders watching Chauvin kill Floyd and calling him a bum and a coward).
A law that makes it legal to mow down protesters with a motor vehicle if they are blocking a street (this would excuse things like the murder of Heather Heyer who was run over by James Fields during a BLM protest 4 years ago)

They are desperate to take away the first amendment right to protest that is a big part of the movement toward justice.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 10:05:08