what kind of dog is this one?

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 01:36 pm
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/preppyjock/dog.jpg

it is not really my dog, my landlord. but he always, always follow me around, annoying and cute. =) oh, yea, it has pointed ears. i had them folded back when i took the pic.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 916 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 01:39 pm
Looks like a mutt to me but that might be just because I can't see much of it except it's big nose.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 01:42 pm
Hi youngman. Smile

It's kind of hard to tell what kind of dog you have there by the angle of the photo and all, but he could have a bit of Lab or Golden Retriever in him. I am guessing he is a mixed breed, but like I said, it is really had to tell. Smile

He must be pretty darn sweet and you are obviously taken with him. Retrievers will do that to ya! One of their favorite past times is licking the face of those they love. Smile
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 01:59 pm
i can't find another pic. it has really short brown hair.
and when it pees, it doesn't lift a leg, it just squads.

i thought that all dogs have to lift their legs in order to pee.

what do u think about the pic?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 02:35 pm
No, that's actually just the dog being lazy or it's a learned behavior. My in laws have two dogs. One is older and one is a puppy. The older dog is too lazy to lift his leg so he squats. The puppy now squats as well because that's how he learned from the older dog.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 03:23 pm
The eyebrows are very Golden Retriever but the face is a bit too narrow. The coloring on sides and tail is too dark, too. Could be mutt-of-a-mutt, not two distinct breeds but more than that. Possible ingredients include Golden Retriever, Doberman Pinscher, German Shephard, Irish Setter (maybe), etc., etc.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 05:32 pm
Cute pup!

Squatting while peeing is what female dogs do, but males do it sometimes, usually when not marking territory.

The dog appears to have a darker saddle type of marking on its back. That, plus the floppy ears and the long face say some sort of hound to me. I can make a better determination with the answers to some questions: Smile
1) Is the short hair rough, almost like the dog's had a crewcut, or is it soft?
2) Does the dog ever point its ears upwards, more than, say, a few seconds?
3) Does the tail curl at the end? Not the hair, the tail itself, does it fold over itself?
4) About how tall is the dog, while standing, at the shoulder?
5) About how much does it seem to weigh? For the purposes of scale, German Shepherds tend to be between 70 and 90 pounds (males are larger) and Dalmatians tend to be between about 60 and 80 pounds. Again, the males are larger. Very large dogs like St. Bernards are over 100 pounds but I'm quite sure this is not a giant breed or a mongrel with any giant breed(s) in him/her.
6) What gender is the dog?
7) Are the feet large in proportion to its size? Is anything else out of proportion, e.g. the legs too short, that sort of thing?
8) Does the dog bark a lot? By a lot I mean, long barking jags or howling.
9) Does the dog seem to have a strong prey drive, e. g. does it chase a ball all day? Does it chase squirrels or other small animals?
10) Eek, that's a lot of questions. There is no question #10. Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 06:10 pm
Cool questions... I await answers - this is fun!
0 Replies