Pepe’ Le Pew Cancelled for “Non-consensual behavior”

snood

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2021 05:03 am
I have my own thoughts about political correctness and cancel culture and that sort of thing.

I generally let other people hash them out.

But this one - this particular “cancel” - makes me sad.

Pepe’ Le Pew is now consigned to being part of rape culture.

https://deadline.com/2021/03/pepe-le-pew-space-jam-2-new-york-times-rape-culture-controversy-1234708688

farmerman

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2021 05:47 am
@snood,
Ive always said that Pepe has lid uner the wire when it came to improprieties. He was always seeking to inseminate all sorts of lady skunks always against their will.
:Happy Pants" is no longer an allowable theme in cartoons.

Even Foghorn Leghorn was a southern gentleman when it came to his flock. I collect old books of cartoons from the late 1800's through today and the work of guys like Tex Avery King, Windsor McCay , n American illustrators who specialized in making racist plots in their work and motion picture cartoons
snood

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2021 05:55 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Ive always said that Pepe has lid uner the wire when it came to improprieties. He was always seeking to inseminate all sorts of lady skunks always against their will.

Maybe so, but this still makes me sad (I’m going to take the leap and assume you aren’t just being facetious here).
He was not just into skunks, but cats, as well.
farmerman

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2021 06:33 am
@snood,
nope, Im mephitulously* serious
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2021 06:37 am
@snood,
I always found him creepy, won't miss him although perhaps he will be repurposed.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2021 09:36 am
The sooner everyone starts disregarding feminists and all their silly wittering about how everyone is always raping them, the better off we'll all be.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2021 10:21 am
I am unsure how I feel about this.

On the one hand yes - I can see this is a guy pushing himself on a girl that has no interest in him.

But on the other hand - really?! This is a cartoon - it is supposed to be silly and isn't it silly to have a skunk confuse a cat due to paint to be another skunk? Can't we as normal reasonable people know this is not supposed to be about rape but just a silly circumstance?

Oh and has anyone seen one episode - probably the only one of these that I really liked? The skunk recognizing it is his smell that is the problem de-scents himself and the cat recognizing she likes the dude (when he has paint spilled on him and sees his muscle like body) goes and gets scented - and then she is chasing him and he is trying to get away from her. I could be combining some episodes but there were some where she was the pursuer.

There comes a point when you just realize this is something silly.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2021 10:38 am
@Linkat,
One of my favourite cartoons is one when Pepe Le Pew is in the Swiss Alps. At the very beginning he walks past a frog. The frog’s expression is one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen.

Having said that I can understand why. I’m an adult and can reason but kids can’t. Rape culture is not a fiction, we have an awful case right now of a young woman being abducted off the streets and murdered by a serving police officer.

This has caused an outpouring of woman talking about how they have been hassled and harassed on the streets by men. That attitude that it’s alright to hassle women has to come from somewhere, and those cartoons have got to have a part in that.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 10:58 am
I kind of get why silly Pepe is done, but can anyone tell me what Mr. Potato Head did wrong?
engineer

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2021 12:26 pm
@Joeblow,
Nothing. There were no complaints about him, no outcry on social media, the company was tired of keeping two stock units for essentially the same product so made a cost cutting move and got some free press.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2021 05:53 am
@Joeblow,
Off topic, but talking of potatoes there was a race horse over here of that name.

It was spelled 00000000.

There was a miscommunication, when the registrar was told the name he didn’t hear potatoes, he heard, “Put eight o’s,” and that’s exactly what he did.

Joeblow

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2021 04:37 am
@izzythepush,
Now you've done it. I've spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how I say it. Again and again. And again! I've decided that if I just don't call them taters, I'll be fine.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2021 04:51 am
@Joeblow,
You’d better stay away from Yorkshire then.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2021 04:52 am
@izzythepush,
I have no idea why eight zeros have become hypertext. I didn’t mean it to happen.
Joeblow

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2021 05:47 am
@izzythepush,
Looks ok from my end
izzythepush

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2021 06:28 am
@Joeblow,
They turned blue for me, and if I click on them I get a drop down menu.

I left it there.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2021 06:39 am
If I click on the hyperlink, my iPhone asks me if I want to call 00000000?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2021 06:43 am
@snood,
I got something like that too.

Who would have guessed that horses had phones?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Pepe’ Le Pew Cancelled for “Non-consensual behavior”
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 02:21:35