how do I save my lawn

KBAGAN

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:42 am
I just move to south Texas, and being from the north I am not used to having to water every day or close to. So I have, i believe, killed my grass. It is extremely dry and brittle in places. When we moved in there were bare patches, that are now getting worse. Is there any hope for me and my poor lawn? Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,397 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 07:58 pm
My first thought: Get rid of the lawn and look into xeriscape landscaping. Lawns are not natural and just waste water, especially in climates like Texas. The concept of lawn was created by the aristocracy to prove they had so much land that they could use it as a play ground and not grow food on every available inch. Now we are slaves to the whole concept of a sterile green carpet.
Stepping off soapbox...
I would say you probably have a soil fungus that is killing the grass and any local garden center can sell you a fungicide. Just read all the warnings on the label and maybe even look up the active ingredient on the internet for human and animal hazards. Remember, whatever you put on your gardens you will end up drinking at some point, as it all goes into our drinking supply (OK I still had one foot on the soapbox).
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 08:16 pm
I like the way you think, Green Witch.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 08:19 pm
I think we would make a cute couple Gus.
0 Replies