Do royalties apply to online user-created material?

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2021 01:34 am
Hi. I know for a fact that indie cartoon and comics makers who showcase their cartoons and comics in video form on video-sharing sites like YouTube, Dailymotion and Metacafe can monetize them and they get paid by 1000 views per video. On YouTube it's $1-$2.50 per 1000 views per video at least and on Dailymotion and Metacafe it's $5 per 1000 views per video.

There's a lot of places online where cartoon and comics makers, other artists and writers can showcase their work.

I know on certain sites cartoon and comics makers can do commission work to make money.

I know on certain sites writers can do commission work to make money.

I would imagine people who produce any kind of audio work and showcase it online anywhere could do commission work to make money.

Do these people get paid royalties every time their stuff is looked at and/or listened to online? If not, I think that is a good idea.

It would be a good idea if the people who publish their works on video sharing sites, artist/writer community sites, social media, etc. got paid something every time people viewed their work and/or heard their work online.

Please help. Thank you.

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2021 07:03 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Hi. I know for a fact that indie cartoon and comics makers who showcase their cartoons and comics in video form on video-sharing sites like YouTube, Dailymotion and Metacafe can monetize them and they get paid by 1000 views per video. On YouTube it's $1-$2.50 per 1000 views per video at least and on Dailymotion and Metacafe it's $5 per 1000 views per video.

There's a lot of places online where cartoon and comics makers, other artists and writers can showcase their work.

I know on certain sites cartoon and comics makers can do commission work to make money.

I know on certain sites writers can do commission work to make money.

I would imagine people who produce any kind of audio work and showcase it online anywhere could do commission work to make money.

Do these people get paid royalties every time their stuff is looked at and/or listened to online? If not, I think that is a good idea.

It would be a good idea if the people who publish their works on video sharing sites, artist/writer community sites, social media, etc. got paid something every time people viewed their work and/or heard their work online.

Please help. Thank you.

Most "user created" stuff on line...are opinions.

We all have opinions...and most, like assholes and armpits, stink.

Why should anyone get paid for creating stink?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2021 09:17 am
@JGoldman10,
Why wouldn't art be subject to copyright? The medium doesn't matter.

Anything more, and you're asking for legal advice, which we do not provide. Pay a lawyer if you're concerned and want more information.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2021 01:01 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Please cite your sources. I'm positive they're both wildly outdated and factually wrong.

From a 2018 article (which to some degree matches from what I got from YouTube itself):
Quote:
YouTube is tightening the rules around its partner program and raising the requirements that a channel/creator must meet in order to monetize videos. Effective immediately, to apply for monetization (and have ads attached to videos), creators must have tallied 4,000 hours of overall watch time on their channel within the past 12 months and have at least 1,000 subscribers. YouTube will enforce the new eligibility policy for all existing channels as of February 20th, meaning that channels that fail to meet the threshold will no longer be able to make income from ads.

Previously, the standard for joining YouTube’s Partner Program was 10,000 public views — without any specific requirement for annual viewing hours. This change will no doubt make it harder for new, smaller channels to reach monetization, but YouTube says it’s an important way of buying itself more time to see who’s following the company’s guidelines and disqualify “bad actors.”

https://imgur.com/7TTNVt4.jpg
From the horse's mouth which you could have gotten with a single Google search. https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/72851

Quote:

Yeah. But you still need to be hired and people hiring others to make their content? They more often than not do their due diligence and make sure they're not hiring quacks and conspiracy theorists which in turn can damage their reputation and business. ((cough cough - hint - it doesn't look good for you considering your online digital trail and current belief system))

Quote:

I don't believe it's a question of semantics but I'm pretty sure that the term royalties doesn't cover the monetization video creators get from self-publishing their work on these streaming services. Royalties aren't the same as ad revenue. If YouTube deems your content worthy or safe enough then they'll run ads on the streaming content which the creators ... if their channel has enough views and subscribers get a small chunk of the revenue.

Quote:

So naive it hurts.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2021 01:11 am
@JGoldman10,
I posted this thread on another forum:

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1463547#bbspost26692394_post_text

The little wisenheimer who responded posted a YouTube money calculator. However I am not gong to be deterred because one little jackass doesn't think I am going to make a lot of money and be successful with any works I publish online.

There are LOTS of indie animation and comics creators who have published their works in video form on YouTube; they have published videos that have generated AT LEAST 1 million views each, which means they've made decent money off of these videos.

jespah

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2021 06:22 am
@JGoldman10,
People who get paid make stuff. They finish it, and they don't dawdle for years.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2021 11:04 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

People who get paid make stuff. They finish it, and they don't dawdle for years.

And that overnight successes are rarer than finding a 10-carat diamond on the ground. That these content makers have their content and channels up for several years before they catch proverbial fire. So ... by not producing things and putting any finished products out into the universe? Alleged creators like Jgoldman just might as well be swimming in a small circle 500 miles out into the Atlantic Ocean. That's how likely he'll get noticed and possibly make any income, let alone an income on his creative output.

TL/DR for JGoldman:
Stop dawdling with these stupid, repetitive questions. Finish your projects. Publish them online in the forum of your choice. DO NOT EXPECT IMMEDIATE REVENUE/SUCCESS. The hard part comes when YOU start to market yourself and your work in the social media realm (where you already have your work cut out for you... and you know exactly why).
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2021 07:54 pm
@jespah,
Hello Jespah. I don't know if "dawdle" is a word I would use. I had issues with depression, lack of focus and drive.

To get animation and/or comics, or ANY kind of projects developed and produced you have to stay focused, inspired and motivated. AND organized.

I am still working on being organized.

When my family was around they created TOO MANY DISTRACTIONS, and my charming brother was constantly creating a hostile, toxic environment. At least now they are gone. I still have to deal with my mother who is away in rehab. I have to help her take care of business and she has to help me take care of things where I am.

Do you have any advice about how not to give into depression and advice on how to stay focused, inspired and motivated?

Do you have any advice on being organized? Getting organized and staying organized?
0 Replies