Is there a method to alter Refractive index of cell membranes?

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2021 07:26 am
s there a staining/treatment method known which can alter (preferably increase) the refractive index of cellular membranes and can penetrate deep inside animal tissues?

farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2021 10:14 am
@Rahulsureka,
try soething like disodium metaphosphate or hexametaphosphate. Get some bags of dry pack and hexametaphosphate soaked SCALLOPS and thin section them and see what you gt.

We used to use bromoform but thats a bit toxic fo longer scope work
Rahulsureka

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2021 05:22 am
@farmerman,
@farmerman
Thanks for your reply. Can you share some references or tell me if treatment with bromoform limits its localization to cell membranes? I am imagining that soaking the sample in it will cause uniform distribution across the entire tissue. My objective is to increase the contrast in the refractive indices of cell membranes and surrounding material (eg. cytoplasm).
farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2021 09:51 am
@Rahulsureka,
Im not sure because we would use it as a surface treatment and allow it to permeate the layer. Our samples were microtomed and miked after thawing, Then the Bromoform was added and the RI difference was , say 1.27 before and s.7(something) after treatment.

Im assumig these are not in vivo??
Rahulsureka

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2021 03:51 am
@farmerman,
Thanks again for the clarification. I will give these a try.
You are right, I also section the samples in microtome as you do.
0 Replies