Mother wants 14-year-old daughter to use boy's changing room

DrewDad

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 06:59 am
ROTFLMBO!

Hockey mum wants co-ed locker room

- A B.C. mother is demanding that her 14-year-old daughter be allowed to change in the same locker room as the boys on her co-ed hockey team, and has taken the issue to the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal.

Jane Emlyn and her daughter Jewel

Minor hockey league policy is B.C. dictates that there be separate dressing room for boy and girls once they turn 11.

But Jane Emlyn and her daughter Jewel, who live in the north Okanagan community of Lumby, says that's discrimination.

"It's their right to be in the change room. It's not a privilege, And I feel that if they can play hockey then they should be exposed to all the opportunities that minor hockey players have," says Jane Emlyn.

Jewel plays defence for the Lumby Stars. The team is co-ed, but most of the players are teenage boys.

She is only allowed in the male change room 15 minutes before game time. She says she feels like a "second-class player" because of that restriction.

"People shouldn't be making a big deal whether they're changing in a different dressing room, changing in the same dressing room. We should all just be able to play hockey and have fun, you know in the same dressing room, right?"

The Emlyns say the solution is shared change rooms with a dress code. And that when it comes time to shower, they say the minority gender would have to leave the room.

Minor hockey coach Bob McCuaig coached a Lower Mainland team of 14 to 16 year olds last season - a team that included one girl.

He says separate change rooms have nothing to do with discrimination, and everything to do with avoiding the possibility of harassment.

"In order to have a safe environment for everybody, where they are not going to feel threatened I would rather have a girl feel a little bit left out than threatened by, 'I have to change in the room with guys.'"

A decision by the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal is expected next week
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,385 • Replies: 5
No top replies

squinney

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 07:01 am
Hmmm..

Maybe it's the boys that are afraid????
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 08:05 am
I expect so.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 12:02 pm
I presume Mama wants her daughter to share the fellowship of the locker room.

I certainly think that it is more wholesome for a 14-year-old girl to share a changing room with her teammates than to parade through the malls with a semi-nude body and a t-shirt proclaiming, "I'm a hottie".

All the same, pioneers have difficult lives.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:26 pm
"It's their right to be in the change room. It's not a privilege, And I feel that if they can play hockey then they should be exposed to all the opportunities that minor hockey players have," says Jane Emlyn.

This is the part that got me wondering...opportunities? Maybe it is just the camaraderie or fellowship that Noddy speaks of. The girl IS allowed into the changing room 15 minutes before each game. This is the time that the coaches are usually giving their pep talks, the team feel their unity as a team, the cheering and high fiving and rebel yells are occurring. What other opportunities is mom seeking?

I see no discrimination here by having separate changing rooms at this age at all. I think by forcing the issue of 14 to 16 year olds of opposite genders using the same changing room would rate along the lines of contributing to the delinquency and safety of minors more than anything.

As much as I thought that nothing could surprise me anymore, I still get surprised. And not always in a good way.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 06:03 pm
I'm with 'J' on this one.

Heard about this story on CKNW in BC, which is our major news radio station. The woman in question got lambasted by an afternoon talk show host on the same station as well.

I don't really see this as a human rights issue, but one more of common sense. I don't know about other parents, but I wouldn't want my daughter changing with a bunch of teenage boys in the 14 year age range. Why doesn't the whole team just get together during these pep talks, etc somewhere else? Does it need to center in a change room?
0 Replies