What is the context?

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2020 06:56 am
In the United States, if Alfred is 1, George 3, Heinrich 4, Joseph both 5 and 6, Mickey 7, William and Lawrence 8, Roger 9 then who is number 2?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 3,327 • Replies: 12
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2020 07:40 am
@sophocles,
No idea at all, but I’m interested in what the answer is which is why I’m replying.

Good luck.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2020 07:45 am
@sophocles,
#2 is Derek. Those are the names of the first few numbers retired by the NY Yankees.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Yankees

The giveaway for me was Mickey #7.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2020 07:55 am
@jespah,
Thank you. There is no way I would have got that. I was thinking king’s regnal numbers. George III was king during the Revolution, there was only one Alfred, and four Heinrich’s, then I googled King Joseph and got naff all.
jespah

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2020 08:04 am
@izzythepush,
It's kind of a misleading question because Heinrich is Lou Gehrig (that's his real first name), and 8 is Lawrence who most people know as Yogi Berra.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2020 08:08 am
@jespah,
I still wouldn’t have got it.

I don’t even know what the New York Yankees play, be it basketball, baseball or American football.
jespah

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2020 09:29 am
@izzythepush,
Baseball
izzythepush

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2020 09:39 am
@jespah,
Ok, I’ll try to remember that.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2020 09:49 am
The Yankees are the evil empire of American Baseball. Around here we root for two teams... the Red Sox and whoever is playing the Yankees.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2020 09:56 am
@maxdancona,
Looks like I’m a Yankees supporter. Who’dathunk?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2020 10:01 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Looks like I’m a Yankees supporter. Who’dathunk?

To some...the Yankees are like Manchester United in the UK.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2020 10:05 am
@Frank Apisa,
Manchester United are very popular due to the plane crash in 1958. Lots of non Mancunians started supporting them after that.

They’re not my favourite team, especially after coming from behind and beating us 3-2 last week.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2020 12:08 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Manchester United are very popular due to the plane crash in 1958. Lots of non Mancunians started supporting them after that.

They’re not my favourite team, especially after coming from behind and beating us 3-2 last week.

Didn't know about the plane crash, Izzy. I was speaking from the mid-1950's.

This was the favorite joke where I was stationed: (Found it when I looked up Manchester United jokes.)

A van driver used to amuse himself by running over every Manchester United fan he would see strutting down the side of the road, dressed in their ubiquitous red colours. He would swerve to hit them and there would be a loud "THUMP" and then he would swerve back on the road.

One day, as the driver was driving along, he saw a priest hitchhiking. He thought he would do a good turn and pulled the van over. He asked the Priest, "Where are you going, Father?"

"I'm going to say mass at St. Joseph's church, about two miles down the road," replied the priest.

"No problem Father! I'll give you a lift. Climb in!"

The happy priest climbed into the passenger seat and the van continued down the road. Suddenly the driver saw a Manchester United fan walking down the road and instinctively swerved to hit him. But, just in time, he remembered the bloody priest, so at the last minute he swerved back to the road, narrowly missing the man.

However even though he was certain he missed the glory-hunting shite, he still heard a loud "THUD." Not understanding where the noise came from, he glanced in his mirrors and when he didn't see anything he turned to the priest and said,"I'm sorry Father, I almost hit that Manchester United fan,"

"That's okay," replied the priest. "I got the ****** with the door!"
0 Replies