Anyone have an opinion on the new oled tv's?

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2020 10:47 am
I'm thinking of buying a new set...and have looked at the LG OLED sets.

Anyone with any experience with them?

farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2020 11:51 am
@Frank Apisa,
want to get another one for a bedroom. Whats the LG OLED about???
W have an LG black matrix unit and its really good for brightness and clrity on Blue Ray or later HD from our cable company. On antenna it is HD all the time.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2020 12:10 pm
Not sure what that apostrophe is doing in "tv's." It's just a plural. Funny.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2020 12:41 pm
@Brandon9000,
It’s a Mullard refraction, first coined by 16th century wit and playwright Arthur Mullard who was one of Shakespeare’s contemporaries.

In short the apostrophe refracts back to opinion, meaning if anyone has an opinion of the new oled tv, the tv has an opinion about them.

Scary huh?
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2020 12:48 pm
@izzythepush,
Heh.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2020 01:17 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It’s a Mullard refraction, first coined by 16th century wit and playwright Arthur Mullard who was one of Shakespeare’s contemporaries.

In short the apostrophe refracts back to opinion, meaning if anyone has an opinion of the new oled tv, the tv has an opinion about them.

Scary huh?

Wow, I love that. And I'll go with it.

Actually, I originally wrote the title, "Anyone have an opinion on the new oled tvs?

The thought that came to mind when looking at it was, "What the hell is a tvs?"

So I stuck an apostrophe in there...it looked better...and I went with it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2020 01:22 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

want to get another one for a bedroom. Whats the LG OLED about???
W have an LG black matrix unit and its really good for brightness and clrity on Blue Ray or later HD from our cable company. On antenna it is HD all the time.

OLED is an improved picture...with each pixel functioning independently as to on/off.

https://www.whathifi.com/us/best-buys/tvs/best-oled-tvs
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2020 01:23 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Not sure what that apostrophe is doing in "tv's." It's just a plural. Funny.

I'll go with Izzy's answer...or with mine. See above.
farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2020 04:25 pm
@Frank Apisa,
thanks. I see that everything has a "hot " period that, with enough creative marketing , can be sold for high premiums. Then as they become more and more of a "commodity", their sales are only based on price comptition.
We are the suckers to really skanky marketing.
0 Replies

knaivete

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2020 07:22 pm
Carpe tv.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 07:59 am
@Frank Apisa,
Over the last 11 years I’ve had two LG TVs and Ive loved them. The current one is OLED technology and it’s fantastic, visually as well as problem-free daily use.
Visually, the dynamic range (bright white to deep shadows) is the top. There is no spotlighting (overemphasis of the bright areas) and the shadow are detailed where appropriate and inky back where appropriate.

Furthermore , on my 3.5-yr-old model you can easily use the menu to set the listening or viewing mode to enhance sports, movie, gaming .

Before I retired I was a techie professionally as well as an audiophile so this TV ticks off all the boxes. Lastly, it interfaces well with my Marantz home theater system.

PS. I’d also would recommend Sony, as well as Samsung versions of the similar tech.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 08:51 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Over the last 11 years I’ve had two LG TVs and Ive loved them. The current one is OLED technology and it’s fantastic, visually as well as problem-free daily use.
Visually, the dynamic range (bright white to deep shadows) is the top. There is no spotlighting (overemphasis of the bright areas) and the shadow are detailed where appropriate and inky back where appropriate.

Furthermore , on my 3.5-yr-old model you can easily use the menu to set the listening or viewing mode to enhance sports, movie, gaming .

Before I retired I was a techie professionally as well as an audiophile so this TV ticks off all the boxes. Lastly, it interfaces well with my Marantz home theater system.

PS. I’d also would recommend Sony, as well as Samsung versions of the similar tech.

Thank, Ragman. I currently have a LG (not OLED) which I love...but it is a 47"...and I really want to go to 55". (Much, much better for football and golf.) Obviously spending too much time watching TV during coronavirus days!

I definitely am leaning towards LG...with Samsung a lagging second.

Thanks for the comments.
Ragman

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 10:44 am
@Frank Apisa,
No problem, Frank. When I upgraded I went to a 55 inch OLED display. Their OLED technology is superior to most and is a bit cheaper than Sony but do compare them side-by-side. Sony in the upper models is a tad better but the value may not be there, IMHO.

You may or may not see a qualitative difference in the comparable display of Samsung. Let your eyes be the judge with same source. Go view them where they have both being sold and displayed.

I sit about 8 to 10 feet from it which is an appropriate distance. It’s perfect for football even my significant other, marvelous Maxine, is still pleased with the purchase.

For whatever it’s worth, I placed it on a sturdy flexible adjustable bracket that allows me to tilt and pivot.

I’m not overly fond of Best Buy as the store to fulfill the order. They seem to either mess up delivery and have quite variable expertise no matter which area you consult them on. I used them mainly for price. I installed it myself as I’m fairly handy.

However, The home theater part of the install can be a bit daunting depending on audio and device setup so if that’s what floats your boat, hire a really good tech consultant.

Be forewarned it does not serve beer or pop popcorn but what are you gonna do? That’s what my dog is here for.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 01:51 pm
Dipping a toe into this testosterone laden subject.

I just looked up the prices of these OLED TVs on Best Buy.

I would imagine Nancy's response would be the same as mine.

"you want to spend THAT much?! On a TV?!

Jesus wept.

You really need/want to spend about a thousand dollars more for....I don't even know what.

Just sayin'
Ragman

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 02:33 pm
@chai2,
I'll allow my significant other's comment to me when were I Best Buy store when we were shopping for the whole theater system. "You've got to see this!! Come over to the TV display section." she was the one who said it was night and day.

I'm not close to being objective so feel free to dismiss my blathering as nonsense...but....! This is not so much of a budget issue as it seems. You can 'get away with a modest $500-$700 for a larger 50 in + monitor. Or go to $1200-1500 and bite the bullet.After all the SBowl is coming and so are the blockbuster movies we won't see in cinema houses for quite awhile. what better way to toss your $$$ away than to see it on your own castle.
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 08:08 pm
If it's not 100 inches you're not getting it up.

chai2

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 08:46 pm
@nacredambition,
Like I said, testosterone.

Women have been known to say That's Too Big.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2020 05:16 am
@chai2,
I paid $3500 for a very-high-end 65 inch plasma some years back.

You get what you pay for. I'm still very satisfied with my purchase. The 3D is exquisite.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2020 05:25 am
@nacredambition,
nacredambition wrote:
If it's not 100 inches you're not getting it up.

Do the top quality lines go up to 100 inches?

Bigger is better of course. But only if quality is maintained.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Anyone have an opinion on the new oled tv's?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 05:58:49