Would you take the One Chip Challenge? And Hot Sauce Thread

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2020 03:24 pm

What is the hottest hot sauce you've ever tasted?
Would you ever eat a ghost pepper? What's your favorite hot sauce?
https://imgur.com/T6o2wj0.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 689 • Replies: 12
No top replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2020 09:57 pm
Melinda's Hot Sauce is the best tasting hot sauce. Period.

The heat of a sauce doesn't matter too much to me because I compensate by varying the amount of sauce I use. If a sauce is really hot, I use a little. If a sauce is kind of weak, I use a lot.

Personally I like my Scoville ratings around 10,000. That's a lot hotter than many people like, but it's nowhere near what the hardcore heat lovers imbibe.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2020 11:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
I don't bother with hot zauce. Give me the actual peppers and life'll be fine.

Would I eat a ghost pepper? Sure, why not? (although it may cause me to stop vocalizing for a number of days)

farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2020 05:04 am
@Sturgis,
when all you get is heat and no flavor, whats the point?? Youre just in a "Big Dick" Contest testing who can eat an brag off the consumption of the highest scovilles.

I like my cheese steaks sammiches with some poblanos and jalepeno s mixed and chopped. This imparts a hottish yet sweet flavor to the steak sammich.

Its a Philly thing,

Ragman

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2020 05:06 am
@farmerman,
Well said. I agree. My preference is sweet and hot, though in recent years it’s toned down a bit.I often make a Mexican wild rice dish with sweet and hot peppers topped off with plain yoghurt . Or I make homemade chili with poblanos (using gloves).
farmerman

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2020 05:24 am
@Ragman,
poblanos are a really good base pepper in many kinds of cooking. Mrs F does a lot of creoles and if its too damn hot you miss the delicate flavors, so poblaos work well, if we want to jack up the heat we keep a jar of franks chopped cayennes or jalapenos and a spoon or two does the trick.

I dont need no steenken habaneros, Scotch bonnets or ghost peppers to make my day.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2020 10:07 am
The hottest peppers I ever tasted were in an Indian curry dish, little green ones that made my taste buds stand up like bristles on my tongue. I can handle some pretty hot dishes. There was a local Thai restaurant which featured hot dishes ranging from 1 (slightly spicy) to 5 (pure fire). I ordered a Pad Thai, #5. The waiter tried to talk me out of it but I insisted. He brought it out and, while the incredulous kitchen staffed peaked out from behind a curtain, I calmly consumed the whole plate of food, and never touched my water glass. I rated it a 3.5. (And, if people don't know this, water won't put out the heat — eating a piece of bread is a much better method of control.)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2020 10:15 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

when all you get is heat and no flavor, whats the point?? Youre just in a "Big Dick" Contest testing who can eat an brag off the consumption of the highest scovilles.

I like my cheese steaks sammiches with some poblanos and jalepeno s mixed and chopped. This imparts a hottish yet sweet flavor to the steak sammich.

Its a Philly thing,

There was a day where "how hot can you get it" was important to me, FM. A combination of "getting older" and "Barrett's esophagus" put an end to that.

But I make a Philly cheese steak just about every week. It's become a science with me...and I now consider my version the best ever. I just use lots of chopped bell peppers and lots of onions...and make sure not to over-cook 'em. Use a half dozen varieties of steak...mostly stuff I hand cut to paper thin slices. Funny think is that the cheaper the cheese...the better it tastes.

Damn, you made me crave one right now...but I have a football pizza on deck.
farmerman

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2020 01:39 pm
@Frank Apisa,
jerseyites dont use Whiz do they? I can eat the sammich with either Whiz or Provolone.
But peppers, and onions must be sorta caramelized, Thats why Im a PATS fan (South Philly no 2 most popular cheese steak is no. 1 with us)
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2020 06:06 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

jerseyites dont use Whiz do they? I can eat the sammich with either Whiz or Provolone.
But peppers, and onions must be sorta caramelized, Thats why Im a PATS fan (South Philly no 2 most popular cheese steak is no. 1 with us)

I really do not like Whiz at all...nor Velvetta. I enjoy a cheap, sliced cheese that sells in a local store. I put three or four slices on. I love caramelized onions on several different things...but not on my cheese steaks. Both the peppers and onions have to be plentiful...and still crisp.

(Never thought of Provolone. Might try it. I've often thought of using Swiss (I love Swiss) but have never done it. Have you ever used Swiss for the sammich?)
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2020 06:31 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Youre just in a "Big Dick" Contest testing who can eat an brag off the consumption of the highest scovilles.

Sad

I was just relating my experience — for science. I've always enjoyed eating hot peppers. It's nothing to boast about. The hotter the pepper, the less you need to use. I don't chug-a-lug Everclear for much the same reason.
farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2020 09:40 am
@hightor,
I also like hot peppers, but not these extreme ones that deliver hardly any flavor unless steeped in a vinegar sauce for weeks.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2023 01:29 pm
Massachusetts teen dies after eating spicy tortilla chip
Quote:

Massachusetts teen dies after eating spicy tortilla chip
Harris Wolobah’s cause of death not yet determined but relatives fear complications from Pacqui chip a factor

Ramon Antonio Vargas
Tue 5 Sep 2023 10.00 EDT
A 14-year-old boy from Massachusetts died unexpectedly a short time after he ate a particularly spicy tortilla chip, leaving his family grieving and searching for answers.

Harris Wolobah died on Friday, said a statement from officials at the Worcester public school district where the boy studied.

Harris’s cause of death had not been determined on Tuesday as results of his autopsy remained pending, but his relatives fear that complications from eating an extremely spicy tortilla chip from the manufacturer Pacqui were a factor, according to an online GoFundMe campaign meant to benefit his family.

The campaign’s organizer, who describes herself as a cousin of Harris, wrote: “The pain our family is experiencing is unimaginable.”

Pacqui did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The company promotes a “one chip challenge” and invites consumers to publish videos of themselves on social media eating the product derived from two of the world’s hottest peppers.
0 Replies