7
   

Do you dislike people who step on bugs?

 
 
Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2020 11:05 pm
This thread is inspired by an earlier one I made about attitudes and behavior towards less powerful or less significant beings.

Firstly, I’m the kind of guy who steps on bugs, not around them. If there’s a bug in my house; I don’t “rescue it.” I squash it, then flush it. So, that’s my very non-objective starting off point on the subject, and I just want to be upfront about that. Razz

With that said, on to the meat and potatoes:

Over the course of time I have noticed a small yet significant number of people who immediately dislike it when I step on bugs, with varying degrees of expression and distaste. Some examples: I’m at a restaurant and a creepy looking spider is crawling on the floor near my seat, so I quietly slide my foot over and crunch it. Then someone at the table goes: “Hey, it didn’t do anything to you!” Or, a bee lands on my glass so I sneak my hand up from the side to give it a flick (which I’m pretty good at btw) and then hear “that was mean” right after I’ve stomped it. Even one good buddy of mine has been inclined to say something along the lines of “Come on dude… leave them alone,” in a half joking way, if I stop to bulldoze an ant mound with the toe of my sneaker when we’re playing on the tennis court.

To be fair, this sort of reaction is more the exception than the rule. The usual reaction is indifference or not acknowledging the act at all. However, I do seek to understand why some people make even a minor fuss. For that reason, I invite everyone to state their thoughts on the matter. Is this an issue that you even think about? Do you tend to dislike people who step on bugs, or in particular, a guy like me who steps on them often purposely and for no reason at all? If so, why? If you are one of those people, I would especially love to hear from you.
 
hightor
 
  3  
Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2020 03:17 am
@Jakeyboy,
Quote:
Do you tend to dislike people who step on bugs, or in particular, a guy like me who steps on them often purposely and for no reason at all?

Yup.
Quote:
If so, why? If you are one of those people, I would especially love to hear from you.

I especially don't enjoy interacting with people who purposely step on bugs for no reason at all.
farmerman
 
  1  
Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2020 04:50 am
@hightor,
They start with bugs, then they move on to torturing little animals and soon we're dealing with a big time cereal killer.

izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2020 04:54 am
I kill bugs in the house, flies and big **** off spiders that are too big and hairy to do anything else.

Outside, with the sole exception of wasps, I leave them alone. I won’t go out of my way to kill them, or avoid stepping on them if they’re in the way.

I don’t tend to stare at my feet when walking along.
Region Philbis
 
  1  
Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2020 04:57 am
@izzythepush,

agreed -- anything inside the house is fair game.

we don't get roaches, but we do get centipedes.

if a flying critter is near a window, i will attempt to escort it outside first...
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2020 05:00 am
@Region Philbis,
Garden pests as well, if I’m growing anything I’ll spray them for greenfly and use slug pellets.
0 Replies
 
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2020 05:03 am
@Region Philbis,
Living in a city I’m very aware of ‘flying ant day’ which is a day in the Summer when all the ants fly about and mate. Their wings fall off and while the females are allowed back in the males aren’t. For a couple of days they’re all over the pavement and it’s almost impossible to avoid squashing them.
0 Replies
 
hightor
 
  1  
Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2020 05:32 am
Inside the house, spiders and wasps are captured and released outdoors. Crawling insects and houseflies aren't welcome and are stepped on or swatted. Fruit flies are trapped and released outdoors, although in their case, it's not for any reasons of sentiment; they're just too small to step on. Outdoors, garden pests are eliminated in multiple ways through repellents, netting, hand-picking, and insecticides.

So yeah, I kill a lot of bugs. But what I object to are people like the OP who will go out of their way to step on any insect they see, as if there were some great cosmic battle going on between humans and insects. It shows such a lack of appreciation for the diversity of life. I dislike the look of smug satisfaction as they grind the remains of some harmless creature into the ground with their shoe, as if they've put their life on the line and done their part to save humanity.

I'm not a Jainist — unintentionally crushing an insect underfoot isn't a moral concern.
Ragman
 
  1  
Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2020 05:50 am
I am careful outside to avoid insects and critters. But that took on a whole different flavor when I moved to southern Florida. Because of the tropical weather there is an abundance of wildlife and insect life. Whereas, at home up in the northeastern US, it’s quite a different story with the amount of interaction. You might look at it if so inclined, that this is more the case that this is their home and we’ve invaded or intruded; however, I digress.

My point is that in so FL I often have to make a conscious choice about eradication of insects 🐜 in and outside of your home in order to be healthy, comfortable and safe. FWIW, I have all-too-often been bitten by fire ants. I’m not allergic but it really is nasty due to their aggression when your feet get multiple attacks and swell up. Though this is the least of my worries in life, it is far worse than
Ragman
 
  1  
Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2020 05:57 am
@Ragman,
...any bee bites I’ve ever had. Suffice it say, nowadays in my local environment, I approach my coexistence differently. I preventively seek and destroy as humanely as I can. I have to or risk my health suffering and/or experiencing discomfort . Call my selfish but it’s either me or them.

The answer, longwidedly,is. No, I don’t dislike people who step on them. I feel those that do it intentionally are I’ll-advised, though.
0 Replies
 
hightor
 
  1  
Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2020 07:04 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
My point is that in so FL I often have to make a conscious choice about eradication of insects 🐜 in and outside of your home in order to be healthy, comfortable and safe.

Totally understandable in Florida. Also totally understandable why I wouldn't live in Florida. Obviously the ever-expanding worldwide human footprint is deleterious to wildlife and conflicts like yours aren't uncommon. But that's a different issue from the one raised by the OP who just seems to feel the need to squash any insect he sees.
0 Replies
 
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2020 07:33 am
@Jakeyboy,
Jakeyboy wrote:

This thread is inspired by an earlier one I made about attitudes and behavior towards less powerful or less significant beings.

Firstly, I’m the kind of guy who steps on bugs, not around them. If there’s a bug in my house; I don’t “rescue it.” I squash it, then flush it. So, that’s my very non-objective starting off point on the subject, and I just want to be upfront about that. Razz

With that said, on to the meat and potatoes:

Over the course of time I have noticed a small yet significant number of people who immediately dislike it when I step on bugs, with varying degrees of expression and distaste. Some examples: I’m at a restaurant and a creepy looking spider is crawling on the floor near my seat, so I quietly slide my foot over and crunch it. Then someone at the table goes: “Hey, it didn’t do anything to you!” Or, a bee lands on my glass so I sneak my hand up from the side to give it a flick (which I’m pretty good at btw) and then hear “that was mean” right after I’ve stomped it. Even one good buddy of mine has been inclined to say something along the lines of “Come on dude… leave them alone,” in a half joking way, if I stop to bulldoze an ant mound with the toe of my sneaker when we’re playing on the tennis court.

To be fair, this sort of reaction is more the exception than the rule. The usual reaction is indifference or not acknowledging the act at all. However, I do seek to understand why some people make even a minor fuss. For that reason, I invite everyone to state their thoughts on the matter. Is this an issue that you even think about? Do you tend to dislike people who step on bugs, or in particular, a guy like me who steps on them often purposely and for no reason at all? If so, why? If you are one of those people, I would especially love to hear from you.


I do not "dislike" people who kill bugs...but I would not be one of them.

I'm a capture and release kind of person.

If bugs or insects frighten you...or if you are squeamish...I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. But better to just grow up.
0 Replies
 
farmerman
 
  2  
Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2020 08:51 am
@hightor,
the way the OP dscribes his dealing with small critters is to seek and destroy anything in or near his path. Of course there ar badass bugs that require controls. I will also capture spiders and release them outsde. Ms F is afraid of spiders so , they die in her path.

The OP should read some EO Wilson books about the worlds critters, they are often amazing. LIke praying mantises .

Ill stick with my serial killer caution.
0 Replies
 
Jakeyboy
 
  1  
Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2020 09:53 am
@hightor,
Quote:
I especially don't enjoy interacting with people who purposely step on bugs for no reason at all.


That was mean. Sad

Most people I know think I'm a good conversationalist and amicable company.
Jakeyboy
 
  1  
Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2020 09:57 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
They start with bugs, then they move on to torturing little animals and soon we're dealing with a big time cereal killer.

I think that the progression you're trying to describe has usually advanced quite a bit beyond bugs by the time the sociopaths in question reach adulthood.

So, here it doesn't apply.
0 Replies
 
hightor
 
  2  
Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2020 10:01 am
@Jakeyboy,
Quote:
That was mean.

So is squashing insects for no reason.
Quote:
Most people I know think I'm a good conversationalist and amicable company.

I'm sure you have other redeeming qualities as well. I didn't mean to be harsh, but you asked a question, and that question was all I had to go on. I liked your response in the "How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?" thread and there are probably lots of other things we agree on. But a cavalier attitude toward inoffensive beings is something which sort of repels me.
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2020 10:06 am
@Jakeyboy,
Jakeyboy wrote:

Most people I know think I'm a good conversationalist and amicable company.


That doesn’t mean you’re not a psychopath. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying you are, but many psychopaths are extremely charismatic.
Linkat
 
  3  
Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2020 10:11 am
I am kind of in the agreement if they are indoors - they are fair game - for stomping or your choice of disposing of them. Hey there is plenty of outdoors for these creatures and that is where they belong...they trespass then hey I am just protecting my home!

That being said - if it is easy to encourage them to go outside I will persuade them like if they are near a screen door, I will open the door and encourage them to go out - it does fail often times as I get the damn thing out free and three more fly in.

Also being said - I am about killing invasive species even if outdoors. The worst around here now is the stink bugs. I will go in my bedroom and there are a dozen or so. Those though I will not stomp or squish thus the name stink bugs - they are easy to catch in some toilet paper and then tossed in the toilet and flushed. They stink and that is where they need to go!

How about murder bees or hornets - haven't seen them around here but I hear they are one of the more recent invasive species.

And as far as unnecessarily killing non-invasive bugs - not a fan of someone that does that. These bugs actually provide important parts of our ecosystem so as much as they may seem unattractive to you - they help your every day existence without even knowing about it.

When I was a kid, a remember this boy across the street while I was over in his yard, he caught a grasshopper and upon showing it to me began pulling off its legs and then tried to pull his head off. I told him what a meanie he was and that I was never going to come over his house again! There is no reason for downright cruelty no matter if it is a small bug or any small creature.
0 Replies
 
roger
 
  1  
Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2020 11:00 am
In the house, I'll kill insects. So will my spiders, so I don't bother them, except for black widows. I will kill the so called daddy long legs, but most of them aren't spiders, anyway.
hightor
 
  2  
Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2020 11:12 am
A few weeks ago I noticed that there were a lot more yellow jackets in the yard than usual. I was sitting in my dooryard one pleasant afternoon sipping a bourbon and when I raised it to my mouth, yup, there was a yellow jacket trying to swim in a glass of Four Roses. So I got her out, and eventually she sobered up and flew away. I noted where she flew and walked in that direction scanning the ground. And, sure enough, I found a 2" hole in the ground with non-stop yellow jacket activity. I didn't want to leave the active nest there but I didn't want to use a pesticide. So I stuffed some marshmallows in the hole at night. Next day, the marshmallows and the yellow jackets were still there. But the following morning when I went out to check, there was no more nest. The hole had been excavated, the nest completely torn apart. Sometimes raccoons are your friends!
0 Replies
 
 

 
  1. Forums
  2. » Do you dislike people who step on bugs?
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 10/20/2020 at 01:39:53