Do you dislike people who step on bugs?

Linkat

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2020 01:41 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

In the house, I'll kill insects. So will my spiders, so I don't bother them, except for black widows. I will kill the so called daddy long legs, but most of them aren't spiders, anyway.

so which daddy long legs are spiders?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2020 01:52 pm
@Linkat,
Over here Daddy Long Legs usually refers to crane flies which are not at all spidery, but it sometimes refers to harvestmen which are.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2020 03:30 pm
@Jakeyboy,
You reminded me of that android from the 1960s television series Lost In Space.
Season 2, Episode 24, Revolt of the Androids

Crush! Kill! Destroy!

Jakeyboy

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2020 03:43 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
That doesn’t mean you’re not a psychopath. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying you are, but many psychopaths are extremely charismatic.

I am not charismatic. Not persuasive, or exuding charm, or any of the other traits that are commonly attributed to the group of people you are talking about. No, lol.

Very easy to get along with, flexible, non-judgmental (or at least I make a conscious effort to be), and tolerant. Yes.

As well, like I mentioned before, most psychopaths by the time they reach adulthood have usually progressed to way more than bugs. The largest animal that I have ever killed was a tiny baby frog that I accidentally squashed while mowing my neighbor's backyard where she has a pond. It was gross and sort of left me traumatized for the rest of the afternoon. What happened was I was leaving via her walkway and I remembered hearing/feeling something squelch under my running shoe but seeing only a weird jelly-like substance on the slate tile. When I made it back to my house, I was wiping the grass off my feet on the mat then I started to wonder why I couldn't get this one little brown "leaf" off my shoe. Then when I looked closer, I saw its little arms with its little toes pressed into the tread pattern... almost paper flat, like almost conforming to it... then I connected the dots. Ungghhh.... I'm having a vivid flashback. Crying or Very sad

Anyway, like I said, it was sort of of traumatizing and left an impression. Besides the one on my shoe I mean.

0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2020 06:18 pm
I have 2 pet spiders who keep the water bugs down. They are about 1 to 1 1/2 in. All I need is a sweeper for the leavings. Please don't tell my wife. She hates spiders. They live in the basement where my better half can't go.
0 Replies

knaivete

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2020 07:16 pm
0 Replies

Jakeyboy

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2020 09:49 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
I'm sure you have other redeeming qualities as well. I didn't mean to be harsh, but you asked a question, and that question was all I had to go on. I liked your response in the "How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?" thread and there are probably lots of other things we agree on. But a cavalier attitude toward inoffensive beings is something which sort of repels me.

Thanks man; I like to think I have some redeeming qualities. I'm a volunteer EMT on call two shifts a month, if that counts. Also, my crowning achievement: I coach Peewee tennis every other weekend and get paid almost nothing for that too! But I enjoy the adoration from the kids. Cool

It's interesting that you refer to insects as inoffensive. Insects aren't exactly helpless, and they are quite brutal toward all living things. They are nature's little pre-programmed killing machines. Even though they don't know any better, they are ruthless. I'm not even talking about spiders biting and bees stinging, because that doesn't even scratch the surface. Two things most insects strive for: reproducing like crazy (often cannibalizing one another after doing so) and invading each other's territory for resources. Ants especially are practically genocidal, warring with and killing rival colonies without regard for the individual lives of their soldiers and sometimes even abducting larvae from the conquered in order to produce a generation of slaves for the colony. On an individual level, ants have no regard for even their own lives, and in sufficient numbers they will continue trying to gather food from a dangerous location even when some jerk like me is stepping on them. And I'd be the guy to know: I've stepped on a lot of ants. Twisted Evil

Quote:
So yeah, I kill a lot of bugs. But what I object to are people like the OP who will go out of their way to step on any insect they see, as if there were some great cosmic battle going on between humans and insects. It shows such a lack of appreciation for the diversity of life. I dislike the look of smug satisfaction as they grind the remains of some harmless creature into the ground with their shoe, as if they've put their life on the line and done their part to save humanity.

You make it sound like there are people running around maniacally looking for bugs to kill. I don't go "out of my way" to step on insects. Sometimes --*occasionally* -- I'll step on them if they are in my path and I'm feeling capricious, but most of the ones I kill are pestering me somehow. Also, I know more about insects than most people -- or at least I think I do -- so you couldn't really say I don't appreciate life's diversity. I do appreciate how prolific and unaffected they are by anything I can do to their population, however.

And although I don't think it needs to be said at this point, I don't believe there is a cosmic war between insectkind and mankind. Plus, consider prey mantises off limits if that counts for anything!

At the end of the day, do I really seem like so repellant a guy? Smile
0 Replies

Jakeyboy

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2020 03:41 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
@Jakeyboy,
You reminded me of that android from the 1960s television series Lost In Space.
Season 2, Episode 24, Revolt of the Androids

Crush! Kill! Destroy!

Hey... I'm not that bad!
Sturgis

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2020 03:43 pm
@Jakeyboy,
I'll take you at your word.

Mainly, I think I just wanted to post that clip. (Lost In Space is a treasure trove of New snippets)
Jakeyboy

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2020 11:44 pm
@hightor,
Thanks Sturgis. I think our peer hightor still finds me repellant even in spite of my lengthy reply to him. Sad
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2020 01:43 am
White House Stage 2012.

If you see me walking down the street
Then you'd like to try stomping your feet
Walk on my, walk on my

Life, believe
That you don't see the smears
Just make me grieve
On pavement 'cause each time you see me
I break down and die
You walk on my (don't stop)
You walk on my (don't stop)
You walk on my

Life, I can't get over losing goo
And so if I seem broken and blue
Walk on my, walk on my

Life, beside
It's all that I have left
So let me hide
In fear with the sadness you gave me
When you said goodbye
Walk on my (don't stop)
Walk on my (don't stop)
Walk on my (don't stop)
Walk on

Walk on my
Walk on my

Life

0 Replies

Neverfree

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2020 10:04 pm
@Jakeyboy,
Some sincere questions:
How old are you?
What sort of shoes do you wear when you step on bugs?
Do your feet smell?
Jakeyboy

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2020 12:56 am
@Neverfree,
Uhmm.

1: Between 25 and 35.

2: Whatever I have on at the time? I run and play tennis competitively so 95% of the day I'm wearing running shoes, until work. I don't wear them for the reason you're asking.

3: Uh, I guess? I'm a pretty active guy so at the end of the day, probably they smell. So what? The more they stink, the more manly I feel. Why are you asking this ****?

0 Replies

Jakeyboy

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2020 02:56 am
@Sturgis,
Are you Neverfree?
Sturgis

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2020 02:00 pm
@Jakeyboy,
No, I am not.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 05:16:59