Feeling down :-(

boomerang

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 11:39 am
What a bunch of clods, Montana. I'll bet you all had more fun without them there.

Here's what I woud do:

The first time you lay eyes on each of them (don't do it to the group) rush up and say "Oh I've been so worried about you! When you didn't make it to the cook out I was scared that something was wrong. Is everything okay?"

Some of them might have good reasons for not being able to make it and the others will feel like the total jerks that they are.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 11:44 am
Boomer
LOL! That's a good idea. I might try that ;-)

I know some may have good reasons, but I'd be willing to bet that none did.

Just a feeling.

Thanks for your advice :-D
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 12:20 pm
You plan that BBQ and I will come. Wink
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 01:28 pm
Piffka wrote:
You plan that BBQ and I will come. Wink

You will? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Cool
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 01:29 pm
Piffka
You're getting me very excited!!!
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 04:25 pm
<BK barfs up a large furball on every person who did not show up>

You're so sweet, Montana, and you certainly deserve better treatment than this, but from what I hear, this happens A LOT. In fact this is why I never throw parties.

At least you've got a nice clean house now, and plenty of food!

I wish I lived closer, I'd be so happy to come to your party!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 08:21 pm
I once had a party when I was 16. This guy was supposed to bring a bunch of his friends, and I was going to bring my girlfriends. He never showed up. Sad I was terribly upset, and like Chai, never have more than another couple at my house.

Montana- I would not miss a party of yours if you invited me. In fact, maybe I would crash it, even if you didn't invite me! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 08:26 pm
Aw. Montana, that sucks! It's everyone's worst nightmare (well, maybe not the worst nightmare) - a party that no one comes to.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 08:36 pm
I've had parties where most of the invited guest were no-shows.

The worst one's were during my time with The First Mr.Noddy who insisted that his friends didnt't show because they didn't want to spend time with me.

In those days, I thought his ego was Very Important.

When you go back to work next week--and people are working long, long days--some of the conversation is going to be about the party that 16 people missed because they had "something better" to do.

When this happens, gloat. Indicate to the stud-in-waiting that he can be replaced.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 08:38 pm
Aw, Noddy, glad he's an ex.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 08:43 pm
Little K--

I have my troubles in my present life, but on the bad mornings I can wake up and thank The Lord--or The Goddess--that the First Mr. Noddy is a creature of my past.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 08:53 pm
You SO did not deserve that! Debra is right on the money when she said it all has to do with this "me me me" mentality that seems to have permeated at least three quarters of the civilized world today.

Truly, where DOES this come from? Logic would dictate it came from our own generation and is just getting worse and worse with younger generations. But seriously, I know for a fact that I was taught manners and respect and courtesy and I know darn well I taught that to both of my children as well.

Its instances like these that make me lose faith, bit by bit in a good majority of my fellow humans and also makes me very grateful for those few humans in my life I know are my friends and that I can count on them as much as they can count on me.

Montana, I know how much you were looking forward to your BBQ and I am very glad that you did have a good time in spite of the idiots, dolts and jerks. I guess given the ones who didn't show are the idiots, dolts and jerks, it probably was more fun anyway. I feel for you, girl.

((((((((((HUGS Montana!!))))))))))
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:03 pm
Damn inconsiderate bastids. They are not friends of ours.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 10:08 pm
Montana wrote:
Piffka
You're getting me very excited!!!

I've already told Mr.P that I wanted to take the train across Canada. Now we can have a destination besides the Atlantic Ocean... a BBQ at your house!!! And you're close to the Atlantic Ocean, too, right?

I love Boomerang's idea of rushing up to some of these no-shows and acting very, very concerned about their health. Please... please do this, OK?

--- Noddy... Sad what an SOB. He was just trying to make you feel bad. I'm glad that you figured it out and have learned you have a fine dominion of your very own.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 10:55 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
The worst one's were during my time with The First Mr.Noddy who insisted that his friends didnt't show because they didn't want to spend time with me.

In those days, I thought his ego was Very Important.

I do hope that He and His Ego are very happy together now. Cool Laughing

If he ever met up with The First Mr. Eva, the four of them would get along like gangbusters. Of course, no one else could fit in the same room with them. They'd fill it up all by themselves.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 10:58 pm
Is this the first time this has ever happened to you, Montana?

JOIN THE CLUB!

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1446808&highlight=#1446808
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 11:33 pm
Pifka? You're going to be there? I'm trying. Boy am I trying.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 11:55 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Montana - thanks for posting this thread.

I have never in my life had a party in my home because of the terror that no one would show up. Or that 1 or 2 would show up and feel sorry for me.

The max as far as company is usually about 3 people.

When I have introduced people I know to each other, it's always been a one on one.

Actually - I don't even know 25 people well enough to consider asking.

Really stupid question everyone, but what is the criteria of knowing someone well enough to invite them to a gathering?
I honestly don't know.

Chai - I think that inviting people to this sort of affair is a great way of getting to know them. Inviting lots means, generally, that it is a fairly casual invite - though Montana's was clearly a more formally arranged affair. The "casual invite" is a fabulous way of establishing new friendships gradually. Generally, people feel able to come or not - so it is a no pressure thing - and it is at a low level of intimacy, so it feels easy and relaxed if people are not quite sure yet how intimate they want to be with you.

I have a friend with more friends than she knows what to do with - she is often the one who introduces new people to our group. She does a lot of the casual invite things (or did - she is too busy now) - and does it a few times, so if people consistently do not attend she knows they do not want to become involved with her socially. However, lots of folk DO stay, and become part of the group, slowly.

It was awful for Montana, because it was arranged to be more exacting around attendance.

Sometimes, this sort of thing is less taxing if you ask folk to bring a bit of meat, or salad, or whatever - it tends to be less expensive, and food just sort of arranges itself, as long as you supply a damned good starter of meat/fish etc to barbecue, and some salads and nibbles. That way, if folk do not turn up in droves, you have not wasted a lot of money.

I think people were rude, Montana - but I think you are catastrophising a wee bit. I would not assume ALL of the peole who didn't come do not want to be your friends. Some may not - but I would be very cheery and unfussed - and not "heavy" them at all.

Firstly, you have to work with them. Secondly, friendship (and I assume from what you write that you are wanting to enlarge your social network????) is a bit like lerve - neediness is off-putting. They HAVE the networks, I assume??? You are new - and do not - I would arrange some more casual things in a while - if they do not come again, then this is a clear message. C'est la vie - don't invite those folk, try others. Sooner or later some balls will tumble through from your outer circle to your inner one. It takes a lot of balls to make some true friends. Don't be put off!!!!

Er - sorry for the "lesson" - my heart is aching for you - it would have felt AWFUL! But - as I said, I suspect it is less awful than it appears - and I would be sad if this experience made you withdraw. Go get 'em, girl!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:16 am
BK
You're very sweet as usual. Thank you so much for putting yet another smile on my face :-D

Phoenix
Looks like you're in luck, my friend. I started another thread announcing that I'm having an A2K BBQ at this time next year and I'd be thrilled if you'd come :-D

Littlek
Yeah, it does hurt, but we actually did manage to have a great time anyway ;-)

Noddy
Yeah, good thing he's the ex! I have every intentions of gloating and there are plenty of studs to pick and choose from up in these parts ;-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 09:39 am
Lady J
Thanks very much for your never ending sweetness :-D
This really made me think about what is happening in the world today. I remember even 15 years ago when I'd have a party, everyone would show up and then some. Back then, people were crashing my parties and I didn't mind a bit.
It's amazing how so much has changed in so little time! <sigh>

Farmerman
You've got that right, my friend ;-)

Piffka
This is just awesome. I started another thread inviting you all to my BBQ this time next year and if I had known I could actually get some of you to come up, I would have done this a long time ago :-D

Eva
Yes, this is the very first time this has ever happened, which is probably why I took it so personally.

Deb
Thank you for the food for thought. I hadn't thought about it from that angle and it makes sense. I don't think I will be inviting them again as I got the messege loud and clear.
I hadn't made any friends in the over 5 years I've been here and that's been a bit rough and that's why I felt so hurt.
I am feeling much better after talking with you guys and I truly appreciate you all helping to pull me out of my little rut :-D
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Feeling down :-(
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 09:11:43