Status of Euthanization Worldwide

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2020 06:59 pm
Is there any country in which euthanization using nitrogen gas is legal for the terminally ill? Wikipedia doesn’t seem to have all the info on this. Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 822 • Replies: 4
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2020 09:12 pm
@with question,
They use it in the United States for executions.

Oklahoma, Alabama and Mississippi have authorized nitrogen for executions and are developing protocols to use it, which represents a leap into the unknown. (NYTimes).

In my book an inhumane way to execute prisoners. I am against the death penalty, period. For the terminally ill it would be a terrible option to choose!
with question

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2020 09:35 pm
@CalamityJane,
What makes it inhumane? Not opposing, just curious
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2020 10:03 pm
@with question,
Execution of prisoners is inhumane in general, but nitrogen gas has to be administered very accurately while the prisoner is in a very air tight helmet. Even then it can take anywhere from 5 to 7 minutes until death sets in. If there is a leak in the helmet, it can take much much longer and leaked nitrogen gas most likely will affect execution officers as well. This might be the reason only a few states allow for nitrogen gas.

Regardless: the death penalty is cruel and barbaric.

with question

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2020 07:17 pm
@CalamityJane,
I know what you mean. I suppose if someone who’s terminally ill knows that they’re going to die by lack of oxygen soon, and if the likelihood of feeling asphyxiation is less with nitrogen, it could prevent someone from that discomfort if an airtight helmet or area were to be used. Does anyone know about the original question of legality by country?
0 Replies