Gluten and dairy free food

Linkat

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 11:45 am
What are some good food items for teenagers that are gluten and dairy free?

After meeting with a doctor it was suggested my daughter try a gluten and dairy free diet. You know teens ... that is what they eat. Mac n cheese, grilled cheese and Caesar salad and ranch dressing, pizza and ice cream are at the top of the list of foods most eaten.

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 02:39 pm
Meats, eggs, vegetables, fruits, nuts, rice, potatoes, to name several.
Linkat

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 04:12 pm
@InfraBlue,
Are all rice gluten free? That will make her happy
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 04:21 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Are all rice gluten free? That will make her happy

Quote:
Yes, all rice (in its natural form) is gluten-free. This includes brown rice, white rice and wild rice. Even Asian or Sticky rice, also called “glutinous rice,” is gluten-free, despite its name

Source
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 04:22 pm
@Linkat,

healthline.com sez ...
Quote:
As long as you purchase unprocessed rice, you shouldn’t have to worry about whether it’s gluten-free.
You need to be aware of products that may contain additional components with gluten or that may be
marketed as fast cooking or precooked. These rice products may not be gluten-free. If possible, look
for rice packaged with a “gluten-free” label.

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 04:25 pm
@Linkat,
Yes. Gluten is the protein found in wheat and its cereal relatives such as oats, barley, rye, etc.. The protein found in rice is different. I don't think it has a specific name, it's just referred to as rice protein.
Linkat

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 05:18 pm
@InfraBlue,
Awesome so she will be happy that she can still get Chipotle just the bowl without cheese
Sturgis

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 05:27 pm
@Linkat,
And rice cakes are a fun low calorie snacking crunchy treat....now in several flavors, often dairy free. Or spread hummus or something else on them. (I mean the rice cakes, not your daughter...that would be weird)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 10:51 pm
@Linkat,
You can make pizza dough from cauliflower - Trader Joe's has a ready made pizza dough from cauliflower, it's delicious. Dto. for gluten-free pasta from TJ.
Use soy instead of dairy - soy cheeses are delicious nowadays. Dressings with soy and if she likes Caesar salad dressing so much, here is a recipe that's vegan as well. INGREDIENTS

1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
1/2 cup Vegan Mayonnaise
1 tsp Crushed Garlic
2 tsp Capers
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce*
1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 tsp White Vinegar

Anyway, Trader Joe's is your friend here, they have an abundance on gluten-free products.
Linkat

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2020 05:46 am
@CalamityJane,
We have actually had the cauliflower pizza dough from TJs didn’t like it.

I have heard they have a good variety of dairy free and gluten free items and there is one I frequent about a mile away
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2020 05:51 am
@CalamityJane,
And as I am doing some research I see that gluten is often found in soy sauce
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2020 08:54 am
Send my condolences to Lil' Linkat for she will not be able to try this seasonal ... gourmet (or gourmeh?) masterpiece.
https://imgur.com/ozswmdM.jpg

Linkat

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2020 09:41 am
@tsarstepan,
That sounds disgusting
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2020 08:08 pm
@Linkat,
Try tamari. It's a Japanese soy sauce that is gluten free, usually. Make sure it says so on the label.
http://buyithealthy.com/images/F126950536.jpg
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Gluten and dairy free food
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 02:13:21