CNN is not good journalism!

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 04:18 pm
CNN is politically correct fluff. If you read CNN and think "yeah" "yeah" "that's right" then you know it isn't good journalism. There is nothing to challenge or upset a good mainstream liberal. It is designed to make you feel good about yourself... to confirm what you already know so they can sell you things.

NPR is good journalism. The New York Times (although clearly biased) is good journalism. The Washington Post, Wall Street Journal. All of these sources are able to present more than one point of view, and to deal honestly with the challenges of our political divide.

CNN isn't that.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 449 • Replies: 16

thebobeternal

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 04:25 pm
Found the bigot.
Below viewing threshold (view)
roger

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 04:33 pm
@thebobeternal,
What?
0 Replies

Teufel

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 05:45 pm
@maxdancona,
The reality is that all journalism comes with an agenda. The over arching ethos of whatever organisation is paying the bills, but of course also the views of a whomever is writing the article.

News is not 'news', it is an appraisal by someone of what they have seen and think.

It was the big hope of many that the openness of the internet and the propensity now for so many people to carry a small video device, i.e their mobile phone, that 'pure and unsullied' news would arrive from the masses.

That has proven to be entirely inaccurate ... People mostly only film what they want to see and frankly once you have seen one bar fight and/or one fatal road accident plus all the usual garbage which people post .... One realises that very little is 'news worthy'

By it's very nature the dissemination of 'news', is in reality always propaganda driven by vested interests and by the learnt behaviour/socially accepted norms of people.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 06:34 pm
@Teufel,
I disagree with you, Teufel. There is great journalism.

Good journalism is done by professionals; people with training and experience who are skilled in critical thinking, writing and narrative. Good journalism that is very different from "propaganda" or what you get from "random people with a mobile phone".

We have to define what is good journalism (and it is somewhat subjective).

Good journalism should be factual, I trust a good journalist to have checked their facts with multiple sources. A great journalist will have a narrative to their story, but they will understand and be informed by the other side of the story. A good journalist will challenge their target audience to think deeper and the question even their own side.

I have seen great journalism from NPR, the New York Times and the Economist. There are lots of examples of great journalism from these sources that go into depth and pull out new insights and challenge the reader to question.
Revealing A Secret

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 06:57 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Good journalism should be factual

There Is No Such Thing As Factual Journalism When It Is Politically Charged, You Have The Government's Agenda, The Media In Between Tailoring For The Different Positions Of Power And Ideology Of The Government, And Then You Have The People And The Sheeple Below The Government And Media, That Ultimately Lead To The Fall Of Every Kingdom, Which Started With Corruption In The Government, Which Trickled Down Into Media Outlets, Which Then Trickled Down To The People And Sheeple, Where Everything Is In Chaos, As A Result Of Every Kingdom Becoming Corrupt, Involving Propaganda And Conditioning Of Minds, And People And Sheeple Always Fighting Each Other, And Not The Media Outlets That Are Reading From A Script Written By The Rich That Control The Poor, And The Government At The Top That Controls The Country, And Then You Have The Shadow Government, Those Actually Pulling All The Strings To Stay In Power.

Triangle:

_____ Government
Media___________People

EVIDENCE: The People Only Have Managed To Vote In The SAME Corrupt Families And Their Distant Cousins All These Centuries, NONE Of The "Good Journalism" In The Media Has Ever LEAD THE PEOPLE To Voting In Someone That ISN'T In A Secret Society, Or Has A LOT Of Money, ALL Presidents That People Voted In Are The SAME Bloodline. They Are ALL "Selected", Not Elected.
neptuneblue

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 09:20 pm
@Revealing A Secret,
Do you actually think that a bigger font, underlined words and capitalization of every word makes so much a difference of your point?

GMAFB.

Poser.
Revealing A Secret

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2020 09:27 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
Do you actually think that a bigger font, underlined words and capitalization of every word makes so much a difference of your point?

It's Easier For Me To See, I Underline To Better Assimilate My Thoughts, Bold To "Feel" The Passion When I Am Writing Which Gets The Momentum Going, I Capitalize Every Word Because I Am A "Phonetic" Speaker.

To Be Fair, It Is Better Than Talking Like A Robot And Reducing Every Argument To A Narcissistic Playbook, Also I Never Down Vote Anyone, So You Never Have To Worry About Your Posts When I Am Around. I Make My Posts Very Easy To Read, And Put Effort Into Them.
neptuneblue

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 04:31 am
@Revealing A Secret,
Oh. I'll down vote your post then.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 08:48 am
@neptuneblue,
Fox is a better news source than CNN? You have become bug funk crazy.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 09:16 am
@RABEL222,
Fox and CNN are equivalent. I don't consider either to be good journalism. Fox is trying to inform or challenge their listeners. They are giving people in an ideological bubble what they want to hear.

The is the same as CNN. If you don't see this, about either Fox or CNN, you are probably in the target ideological bubble.

Ask yourself this question. Has anything on CNN ever challenged your way of thinking about an issue?
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 09:36 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
Fox is a better news source than CNN? You have become bug funk crazy.

Exactly where did I say that?
RABEL222

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 01:17 pm
@neptuneblue,
This was for Max. Sorry.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 01:20 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

This was for Max. Sorry.

Exactly where did I say that?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 01:26 pm
The question for anyone who wants to defend CNN. Go to their site and find a story that challenges you or causes you to question what you already know. Can you find one?

If you think journalism is supposed to tell you what you want to hear... then this thread is not for you.

It is my opinion that good journalism dives deeper into stories, to provide different sides of an issue and to challenge the reader to understand beyond their preexisting beliefs.

NPR does this. The Washington Post does this. CNN and Fox do not

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2020 05:16 am
I agree that CNN sucks.

I recommend PBS and NPR for daily news, plus Reuters and the Associated Press for breaking news, plus France 24 English for a bit more international coverage than US networks provide.

I used to use BBC as my international news supplement, but after all their outright lies about Amanda Knox, it's pretty clear that BBC sucks just as badly as CNN sucks.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » CNN is not good journalism!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 11:16:22