ShoppingBags

gollum

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2020 01:46 pm
I was given a shopping bag by my local savings bank upon opening an account. The inner lining is silver in color and might be aluminum.

As I exited a store today, a security officer told me that such a bag is used by criminals to do shoplifting. He said that it should not be brought into the store.

Is he correct?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 346 • Replies: 3
No top replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2020 09:10 am
@gollum,
Yes.
Foil-lined holdalls, bags, etc are commonly used by shoplifters - To throw-off the foyer alarm panels.
Some of our facilities are briefed on such.

Mark
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2020 08:26 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

I was given a shopping bag by my local savings bank upon opening an account. The inner lining is silver in color and might be aluminum.

As I exited a store today, a security officer told me that such a bag is used by criminals to do shoplifting. He said that it should not be brought into the store.

Is he correct?

If the bag lining is metal and therefore a Faraday cage then it could interfere with some anti theft systems.

A fast means to check it would be to place either a cell phone or a small radio in the bag and see if they still function or not.

Now stores can made any rules they care to made but off hand I would not worry about the matter as it hardly illegal to have such bags with you and the worst that could happen is that you would need to spend your money at another business next door.
gollum

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2020 04:13 am
@BillRM,
BillRM-

1) Thank you

2) I understand that they are called booster bags.
0 Replies