How come the U.S. government doesn't issue and offer free cars to people?

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2020 05:04 am
Hi. I'm just curious about this. The U.S. government has been issuing and offering free mobile phones to people since 2005. Mobile phones are a necessary. Most public payphones have been recalled. A few public facilities, as least where I live, have them. Some local businesses will let you use their landline phones for emergency calls, assuming they have such phones on hand. I thought by the time the 21st century got here most if not all payphones would have been technologically advanced by now. I saw one computerized payphone that required a credit card to use when I was stranded in a strange neighborhood one evening.

I would've like to have thought that when the government was issuing and offering "Obamaphones" to people they would have issued and offered "Obamacars" to people too.

People need cars. Free government cars are a good idea, and since they would be issued and offered by the U.S. government they should already be insured.

Please help. Thank you.

Teufel

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2020 06:36 am
@JGoldman10,
It would appear you believe this to be a pretty simple question; it isn't, it is a sizeable book worth of knowledge.

These types of ideas float about the internet social media, like a cancer in the minds of the masses ... Another good one is "Why doesn't the government just give everyone £1 million dollars!!" Again that seems simple ... it isn't. Whilst I am not bothering to write a book, here's a few very loose pointers.

Modern economics and thereby capitalism as it is know, has around a 200 year history. However it still harks back to days of feudalism and also slave driven societies such as Rome .... The term 'wage slave' is extremely well coined (sic).

What you suggest is of course fraught with unanswerable issues ... Who precisely gets a 'free car'? ..... In the capitalist economy nothing is 'free', free at the point of use perhaps but not free; everything has a cost. So it has to be funded - how? .... Next many businesses which sold cars would close, many jobs would be lost. Many finance companies would struggle and many jobs would be lost. Many local shops and malls would close and ma ... and on it goes.

Next, at what point does one get a free car? Let us imagine for a second it is anyone who has a household income (of any form) which is less than $50,000 p/a .... So Mr T gets one but Mrs Y doesn't drive, so what does she get instead? He has a free car, if she gets nothing she becomes very angry.

What happens to Mr X who earns $50,500? He does not get a car. So he either asks his boss to pay him less or he might even stop work he is so demotivated ... multiply that by millions ... Imagine the civil unrest, "I work hard and earn $58,000 a year and get nothing, whilst that lazy bitch gets a car!!"

There are countries which pay 'child support' in benefits to every family with children, income irrespective ... why? Because otherwise the higher earners, the people who actually pay net taxation, they would get nothing out of the system which ostensibly they pay for.

These are all just lightweight 'lay' considerations of course, at an fundamental economic level the turmoil would be vast.

There are countries which do operate schemes to help people in certain circumstances. Even the appalling US clone, the UK, has a scheme for those who are entitled to certain high levels of disability benefits to access lease hire cars which are part funded by the UK government ... But these disabled people still pay over a large amount of their benefit every month to access the vehicle. Plus it is still a personal choice if the person uses their money to access a vehicle.
This help with their mobility can enable them to work, or to attend medical appointments or God forbid, have a social life. (sarcasm)

If one goes to Russia and speaks to the ordinary people, a clear majority with whom I have interacted over the years would (anecdotally) much prefer the return of Communism ... They all had a home, education, a job, medical care, clothing, heating, electricity and quite usefully, food. That is most certainly not the case now in the brave new 'Kapitalistic' Russia.

On here we see people from low socio economic classes without money or talent, praising idiots like Trump ..... Yet these people live in squalor, they live a tawdry pointless existence ... But they swallow the propaganda "One day you could be King!" "Being self sufficient makes you a man!" .... Mostly that means, Trump and the 1% don't have to pay for them .... They are so utterly dense they actually believe the hype.

No system is perfect, systems all have winners and losers that is for sure ... But capitalism produces more losers than any other system, that is also for sure.
jespah

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2020 07:54 am
@JGoldman10,
Because the most expensive cell phone costs maybe $1k and the cheapest new car costs about $20k.

The taxes to support it would be prohibitive.

Plus a car isn't just the purchase. It's maintenance, taxes, registration, insurance, and tolls. Giving people free cars that will just rust on the street without being used is a ridiculous waste of resources.
Jimeo

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2020 11:33 am
@Teufel,
Sir Teufel,
This is a grand and competent response you have given Goldman10.
Thank you for putting your time and effort to this task.
Jimeo
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2020 01:31 pm
@jespah,
But there are certain places you can't get to by simply walking or by taking a bus or cab.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2020 01:38 pm
In the UK there is a benefit called Mobility Allowance, this is normally paid lunar monthly, but it used to be the case where the claimant could opt for a modified vehicle instead.

I don’t know if it still is the case.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2020 03:09 pm
There ought to be grants you can use to pay for a new or used car. I'd also like to think you can start crowdfunding campaigns to raise money to buy a new or used car.

Car insurance should be free.

Additionally there should be grants and crowdfunding campaigns you can use to pay for driving school lessons and to take a road test and get your driver's license.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2020 03:10 pm
Someone I know told you you can buy cars off of Craigslist. You can buy cars that range in value between $100 and $1000 off of that site.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2020 04:16 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Car insurance should be free.

Then apply for citizenship in a communist nation.

And don't forget to request free fuel for the vehicle!

As far as training/learning to drive, some jobs might be willing to provide if you are otherwise qualified for employment and just need a license.

There are also many jobs which lease cars and then give use of them to employees in positions which necessitate usage of an automobile.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2020 04:35 pm
@JGoldman10,
So?

Buses. Taxis. Carpools. Bikes. Scooters. Skateboards. Horses. Your own two feet.

The government isn't responsible for you living where you do -- you are.

It stinks that there are places like this. But unless you feel like spending a few trillion on infrastructure (which may or may not be used; even folks in places with lots of public transportation may prefer cars to: (1) set their own schedule (2) be alone with their thoughts (3) feel safer if they've ever been harassed or followed (4) travel to places where public transportation doesn't go and (5) help them better navigate the world if they have difficulty getting around that doesn't quite hit the level of an official disability), then you're outta luck.

And then you want trillions to buy cars for everyone. And free insurance (because large employers like insurance companies can get by on a smile).
thebobeternal

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2020 05:42 pm
I guess I have to ask, who would pay for this?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2020 05:58 pm
I think there is a good argument to be made for a basic minimum income where the government will give person some amount of money... let's say $30,000 a year... just for living. They can use this for rent, or medical care, or for a car, or for erotic massages, it doesn't matter. it is their money.

Then people are free to make additional money that will be taxed (at higher rates than they are now).

In a post-industrial society that is generally at full employment, I think this makes a lot of sense. Let those of us who want to work (and get rich) work... everyone else can live a mediocre life with what the government gives them and no one will starve.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2020 08:08 am
@jespah,
What's wrong with free car insurance?
knaivete

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2020 06:50 pm
@JGoldman10,
Some people don't want cars.

Why doesn't the government just give money to people?

Oh wait, nm.

And another thing, ussuing cars is a great idea, the government could start a company that makes cars. Then banking. The sky's the limit.

jespah

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2020 07:15 pm
@JGoldman10,
When for-profit businesses don't make profits, do you know what happens?

People get laid off.

Liberty Mutual (for example) is a Fortune 50 company. 45,000 people are employed there. Give away car insurance, and thousands of them will be thrown out of work.

Same thing if you hand out free spark plugs, free oil changes, free wiper fluid, and take off every single toll before highways are paid for (the actual purpose of tolls is to pay for highway construction, but a lot of cities and counties and states keep them long after the bill is paid because they use the $ for maintenance or the like).

Free stuff has a price. Just because you want it for nothing for yourself (not exactly a generous attitude, BTW) doesn't mean there's not a cost somewhere or other.

I do agree with Max about universal basic income. I think it's an interesting idea and it may work. Easiest way to pay for it is to cut the military budget - but Congress will scream and clutch their pearls and never do it.

Our country doesn't take care of the poor very well at all. The gulf between rich and poor keeps getting wider. And the line between poor and middle class is shrinking - and not by the poor getting more $. It's by the middle class getting less.

But no matter what, parts and labor cost $. And they should. The amount is certainly up for debate. But the world is not filled with volunteers, happy to give up 40 hours per week plus commuting and after-hours texts and phone calls, just so you don't have to pony up some cash to get a car.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2020 08:13 pm
@knaivete,
Lol at that video you posted a link to.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2020 08:15 pm
@knaivete,
knaivete wrote:

Some people don't want cars.

Why doesn't the government just give money to people?

That's a good question. You have to qualify for it.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2020 05:35 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Hi. I'm just curious about this. The U.S. government has been issuing and offering free mobile phones to people since 2005. Mobile phones are a necessary.

You're not the sharpest tool in the shed. People have addressed the government cell phone program with you dozens of times. And you still can't grasp the simple concept. The government DOESN'T pay 100% for the phones. The cell phone services subsidize much of the costs of these phones with the collective fees paid via regular cell phone plans.

These phones aren't top of the line/flagship phones. They're not even midrange (price wise) but much cheaper phones.

Stop ******* call them Obamaphones. You're not a child. Learn things when people tell you instead of vomiting the same undereducated questions and regurgitating the same nonsense you tend to spout out.

Quote:
ObamaPhones
Does an Obama administration program provide free cell phones and cellular service to welfare recipients

https://imgur.com/COX3GJT.jpg
Source

Quote:
From that basic framework, rumors like the ones encapsulated in the Examples cited above have circulated, claiming that “the Obama administration created a program to give free cell phones paid for by taxpayer money to welfare recipients.”

All the elements of such statements are erroneous or exaggerated:

The Lifeline program originated in 1984, during the administration of Ronald Reagan; it was expanded in 1996, during the administration of Bill Clinton; and its first cellular provider service (SafeLink Wireless) was launched by TracFone in 2008, during the administration of George W. Bush. All of these milestones were passed prior to the advent of the Obama administration.
The Lifeline program only covers monthly discounts on landline or wireless telephone service for eligible consumers. It does not pay
cellular companies to provide free cell phones to consumers, although some cellular service providers choose to offer that benefit to their Lifeline customers.
Lifeline discounts are not available only to “welfare recipients” — these programs are implemented at both the state and federal levels, so qualification criteria can vary from state to state, but in general participants must have an income that is at or below 135% of the federal Poverty Guidelines, or take part in at least one of the following federal assistance programs:
Medicaid;
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps or SNAP);
Supplemental Security Income (SSI);
Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8);
Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP);
Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF);
National School Lunch Program’s Free Lunch Program;
Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance;
Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TTANF);
Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR);
Head Start (if income eligibility criteria are met); or
State assistance programs (if applicable).
The Lifeline program is not directly subsidized by taxpayer monies. It is paid for out of the federal Universal Service Fund (USF) through a fee assessed against telecommunications service providers, who may or may not pass those costs along to their customers:
All telecommunications service providers and certain other providers of telecommunications must contribute to the federal USF based on a percentage of their interstate and international end-user telecommunications revenues. These companies include wireline phone companies, wireless phone companies, paging service companies and certain Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) providers.

Some consumers may notice a “Universal Service” line item on their telephone bills. This line item appears when a company chooses to recover its USF contributions directly from its customers by billing them this charge. The FCC does not require this charge to be passed on to customers. Each company makes a business decision about whether and how to assess charges to recover its Universal Service costs. These charges usually appear as a percentage of the consumer’s phone bill. Companies that choose to collect Universal Service fees from their customers cannot collect an amount that exceeds their contribution to the USF. They also cannot collect any fees from a Lifeline program participant.

The costs of administering the Lifeline program have increased greatly with the move towards cellular telephone services, leading the FCC to approve a comprehensive overhaul of the program in January 2012 intended to eliminate waste, fraud, and abuse.

A number of web sites touting Lifeline benefits and imitating the look of government web sites have sprung up on the Internet, but those sites are privately operated ones created to promote the sales of cellular services and have no official connection to the federal government or the current presidential administration:

By 2010, Virgin Mobile, Verizon, Sprint, i-Wireless, Head Start, Consumer Cellular, Midwestern Telecom, Allied Wireless, and others had free phone plans. That’s why you can find all these “free cell phone” websites that look kind of shady, like Obamaphone.net or FreeGovernmentCellPhones.net. In 2011, the FCC said that these carriers were “fiercely competing for the business of low-income consumers by marketing ‘free’ phones.” TracFone spokesman Jose Fuentes [said], “We’ve had a lot of fly-by-night companies come in.” Fuentes estimated that more than 1,700 wireless companies were part of Lifeline. Between 2008 and 2012, the number of people with Lifeline phones grew from 7.1 million to 12.5 million. These companies may be fly-by-night at providing cell phone service, but they are pretty good at marketing, and as the rush of merchandise tied to his inauguration showed, Obama’s name seems to move product.

Additional information:

AFFORDABLE TELEPHONE SERVICE FOR INCOME-ELIGIBLE CONSUMERS
PUBLISHED 20 OCTOBER 2009
BY
DAVID MIKKELSON
FILED UNDER
BARACK OBAMA
CELL PHONES
OBAMAPHONE

As for your most naive question on a2k? There's a big difference between having phone services subsidize the free phone service (phones for under $200 [cheaper if bought at wholesale prices which is likely] plus service and buying automobiles that cost $15k or more. How in the HELL does that slip by you?

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2020 05:37 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

There ought to be grants you can use to pay for a new or used car. I'd also like to think you can start crowdfunding campaigns to raise money to buy a new or used car.

No one is stopping you from setting up a GoFundMe collection. Same as no one can force another to donate to that same crowdfunding campaign. Genuine good luck with that.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2020 01:03 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Someone I know told you you can buy cars off of Craigslist. You can buy cars that range in value between $100 and $1000 off of that site.

I hope the vehicles I can get off of Craigslist within this price range are in good, quality condition.

0 Replies