The Problem with TikTok?

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 10:20 am
1. If (and likely when) Microsoft buys up TikTok from its parent corporation, ByteDance, should Microsoft rebuild the app from the ground up in order to remove any perceived backdoor entrances for the Chinese government to exploit?

2. Does Trump understand he doesn't have any real and direct political mechanisms to enforce a national ban like this in the first place? Does Trump realize that he doesn't have any political mechanisms to confiscate a percentage of a potential sale between Microsoft and ByteDance after the app's sale?

3. Making a giant assumption that we don't really have a particularly noteworthy TikTok crowd here at a2k (beyond a few rare birds). Do you use TikTok with a noteworthy level of activity (beyond watching an occasional video hosted on other social media sites like Facebook or Twitter)? Meaning, do you actually use the app itself? Create and post your own original TikTok content?

4. Will any sale to any US company kill the social media app in the disillusioned eyes of its (mostly) Gen Z userbase? Or will TikTok become another social media app used only by a mostly older population while younger Millenials and Gen Zers move to another new yet-to-be-discovered social media app?

CONTEXT:
The U.S. Is Right to Worry About TikTok
WHY MICROSOFT WANTS TIKTOK
After India and US, Japan looks to ban TikTok and other Chinese apps
How TikTok users are reacting to Trump's possible US ban: Funny coincidence that there was a Microsoft ad before this CNN video.

And for the icing on this weird politics thread:
[BERTHE]
TikTok users climb many a tree
And scrape their knees
Their dresses often tear

[SOPHIA]
They waltz on their way to mass
And whistle on many a stairs

[BERTHE]
And underneath their ironic wimples
They have curlers in their hair!

[SOPHIA]
I even heard them singing acapella in the abbey

[BERTHE]
They are always late for school

[MARGARETTA]
But their penitence is often real

[BERTHE]
They’re always late for everything
Except for every meal

[MOTHER ABBESS]
I hate to have to say it
But I very firmly feel

[BERTHE AND SOPHIA]
TikTok's not an asset to the Trump’s agenda!

[MARGARETTA]
I'd like to say a word in her behalf
TikTok makes me laugh!

[SOPHIA]
How do you solve a problem like TikTok?

[MOTHER ABBESS]
How do you catch a cloud and pin it down?

[MARGARETTA]
How do you find a word that means TikTok?

[BERTHE]
A flibbertigibbet!

[SOPHIA]
A will-o'-the-wisp!

[MARGARETTA]
A clown!

[MOTHER ABBESS]
Many a thing you know you'd like to tell them
Many a thing they ought to understand

[MARGARETTA]
But how do you make them stay
And listen to all you say

[MOTHER ABBESS]
How do you keep a wave upon the sand?

[MARGARETTA]
Oh, how do you solve a problem like TikTok?

[MOTHER ABBESS]
How do you video a moonbeam in your hand?

[MARGARETTA]
When I watch their videos I'm often confused
Out of focus and bemused
And I never know exactly where I am

[SOPHIA]
Unpredictable as weather
They’re as flighty as a feather

[MARGARETTA]
They’re darlings

[BERTHE]
They’re demons

[MARGARETTA]
They video fainting lambs

[SOPHIA]
They’ll out-pester any pest
Drive a hornet from its nest

[BERTHE]
They can throw a whirling dervish out of whirl

[MARGARETTA]
They are gentle
They are wild

[SOPHIA]
They are a riddle

[MARGARETTA]
They’re often a child

[BERTHE]
They’re always a headache!

[MARGARETTA]
They’re sometimes angels!

[MOTHER ABBESS]
They tend to be nonconforming to gender

[ALL NUNS]
A flibbertigibbet?
A will-o'-the-wisp?
A clown

And listen to all you say?

chai2

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 10:58 am
Well, there's quite a bit of territory between, as you say, watching the occassional video, and actually creating your own content.

I would consider myself now a regular user, even though I don't, and have no desire, talent etc, to create my own content.

I go on it a few times a day. Sometimes as a break from work I'm doing, to just scroll through and find interesting stuff.

There's some people I follow and look to see if they've created anything new.

Sometimes I see a person is in Live mode, and I will join. I'll comment, ask questions, generally be part of the conversation.
A couple days ago, someone was Live for almost an hour, and there were at any given point, 15 to 25 people on there watching, commenting, contributing. I felt like I was at a really interesting social event, and felt bonded with some of the people. Not like FB where you don't really get past the superficial, IMO. Or A2k where it turns into a pissing match more times than not.
It's very close for me to actually being in a converstaion with someone at time. A bit delayed, but real, and there. I'm talking about watching something Live.

I do comment on videos, or ask a question, and like it when someone replies. I feel a sense of belonging.

I block videos from certain people who are of a religious, child care centered, or other subjects I'm simply not interested in.

I'm open to both the silly and serious, as I have the freedom to quickly just move on. Others, I'll watch a few times in a row. Either because it was really funny, or I didn't catch something, or I want to make not of how a person did something. I'll save some instructional ones in my favorites, so I can go back and learn from them later.

I don't know tsar if this addresses anything you asked, or are interested in, but it's how I use it.

I like it because there is no one questioning why, at a particular moment, I want to watch a dog 8 times in a row eating an ice cream, or someone miming a meme. ditto for watching how a dance step is performed, or how to caulk something, or learn a shortcut.

May not be everyones cup of tea. But a lot of other things aren't mine.

If China is watching me do this. I don't care.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 11:04 am
Oh, rereading your post.

I totally don't care who Gen Z or whatever other title is bestowed on some arbitrarily specific age group is. That is so limiting.

No one knows my age, race, etc when I'm posting there. And the people I most enjoy watching or reading their comments don't seem to care either.

I'm so past creating some pigeon hole to shove myself into.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 02:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
Until the other day, I had no real idea what TikTok was. I'd heard of it,had never done any research into or on it. Figured to leave it on the side with FaceSlime, Instagrim, PinTerest and a bunch of other platforms/apps/etc.

A member here gave me a brief introduction. It struck me as interesting. At this rate, I should end up signing on within the decade.
(I usually go slow with introducilating new things to myself.)

Netflix, an e-reader, and even color television, as well as other things.

....and you forgot to link in the video for musical accompaniment.

....although that could land me in a YouTube marathon starting with The Sound of Music and (How Do You Solve A Problem Like) Maria.

Oh....never signed up for something else, which I remembered for a split second before it vaporized....

coldjoint

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 02:40 pm
@Sturgis,
Just turn the record player on.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 02:41 pm
@coldjoint,
I use a victrola
chai2

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 03:10 pm
@Sturgis,
Ha! I get what you mean Sturgis. If I get interested in something, that probably means it’s starting to go out of style.

I was boxing up some stuff for the move for about an hour, and decided to take a break and think about what to pack next.

I went on TikTok and watched 3 or 4 thirty second to a minute vids.

This woman, 30 something did this one with the title on it saying “Drunk Amazon Purchases” Laughing

She said that this one actually ended up being useful. I watched and thought “omg, I’m going to get this!”

It was a silicone covered dish rack that when not in use rolls up into a tight tube.
My new kitchen sink is in an island in the kitchen. It’s a single, not a double sink, but it’s pretty wide.
It had already closed my mind how ugly a drying rack would be sitting on the counter next to the sink, but figured that I’d worry about it later when I get there.
This roll up rack fits over the sink and when open covers about half the basin. Perfect for someone who just wants to wash out a place setting and a pan or pot.

Earth shaking? No.
But it totally made my little break very happy and productive. That item is officyon my wish list.

So later this evening while relaxing i’ll Go look at her other Drunken Amazon Purchases to either smile or think “hey, I could use that. “
chai2

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 03:11 pm
@chai2,
Edit. Crossed my mind, not closed my mind.

Back to work!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 03:25 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

....and you forgot to link in the video for musical accompaniment.

[BERTHE]
TikTok users climb many a tree
And scrape their knees
Their dresses often tear

[SOPHIA]
They waltz on their way to mass
And whistle on many a stair

[BERTHE]
And underneath their ironic wimples
They have curlers in their hair!

[SOPHIA]
I even heard them singing acapella in the abbey

[BERTHE]
They are always late for school

[MARGARETTA]
But their penitence is often real

[BERTHE]
They’re always late for everything
Except for every meal

[MOTHER ABBESS]
I hate to have to say it
But I very firmly feel

[BERTHE AND SOPHIA]
TikTok's not an asset to Trump’s agenda!

[MARGARETTA]
I'd like to say a word in her behalf
TikTok makes me laugh!

[SOPHIA]

[MOTHER ABBESS]

[MARGARETTA]

[BERTHE]
A flibbertigibbet!

[SOPHIA]
A will-o'-the-wisp!

[MARGARETTA]
A clown!

[MOTHER ABBESS]

[MARGARETTA]
And listen to all you say

[MOTHER ABBESS]

[MARGARETTA]

[MOTHER ABBESS]

[MARGARETTA]
When I watch their videos I'm often confused
Out of focus and bemused
And I never know exactly where I am

[SOPHIA]
Unpredictable as weather
They’re as flighty as a feather

[MARGARETTA]
They’re darlings

[BERTHE]
They’re demons

[MARGARETTA]
They video fainting lambs

[SOPHIA]
They’ll out-pester any pest
Drive a hornet from its nest

[BERTHE]
They can throw a whirling dervish out of whirl

[MARGARETTA]
They are gentle
They are wild

[SOPHIA]
They are a riddle

[MARGARETTA]
They’re often a child

[BERTHE]
They’re always a headache!

[MARGARETTA]
They’re sometimes angels!

[MOTHER ABBESS]
They tend to be nonconforming to gender

[ALL NUNS]
A flibbertigibbet?
A will-o'-the-wisp?
A clown

And listen to all you say?

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 03:32 pm
tsarstepan wrote:
If (and likely when) Microsoft buys up TikTok from its parent corporation, ByteDance, should Microsoft rebuild the app from the ground up in order to remove any perceived backdoor entrances for the Chinese government to exploit?

Yes.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 03:43 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
I use a victrola

Even better.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2020 04:54 pm
Two more relevant stories.
Class-Action Lawsuit Claims TikTok Steals Kids' Data And Sends It To China
Quote:
Dozens of minors, through their parents, are alleging that the video-sharing app collects information about their facial characteristics, locations and close contacts, and quietly sends that data to servers in China.

Twenty separate but similar federal lawsuits were filed over the past year on behalf of TikTok users in California, where the company has offices, and Illinois, which requires that technology companies receive written consent before collecting data on a person's identity.

The suits now have been merged into one.

AND a 15 minute episode from the NPR Politics Podcast:
Trump's TikTok Trepidation Troubles Teens
chai2

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 08:43 am
@tsarstepan,
I guess perhaps you should say what your thoughts are on this tsar.

I'm not clear on where you want this thread to go.
What's your take?

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 01:17 pm
@chai2,
I don't have any real horse in this one - social media wise. If I never see another TikTok video on Twitter? ((shrugs)) It's nice to see others so flippant and intentionally oblivious to the inherent dangers of national security. As if the Cold War never happened and that we're basically not in a second Cold War once again involving a complicated relationship of China and Russia against the US and the western democracies of the world.

But since it's not only the US that's bothered by the potential national security issues about Chinese authorities having 100% legal control over and access to the social media content? Yeah. Either kill the app or sell it off to another corporate entity like Microsoft.

Have the software engineers go through the entire app code and close any potentially vulnerable backdoor entrances built into the app.

I can't be the only one remembering the Cold War and the continued industrial, commercial, and military espionage being committed by the Chinese this day. Somewhat related/unrelated: they're doing their damndest to steal any COVID vaccine research.

There's a reason why our DOD (Dept of Defense) and other security departments across the world (eg. Israel) have banned their personnel from having the app on their private and official phones.

When they take these actions, it's not political. It's pragmatic and there are literal national security reasons behind their actions.

U.S. Military Branches Block Access to TikTok App Amid Pentagon Warning.

Quote:
David Skillicorn, a professor in the School of Computing at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ont., said TikTok has had security problems since it launched, and although the company has been trying to fix it, the app is still “poorly implemented from a security perspective.”

‘Anything TikTok knows, assume China knows’: Experts urge Canadians to be wary of app
Sturgis

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 01:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
It's nice to see people so flippant...oblivious...

As if the Cold War never happened.

...sell it off to another corporate entity like Microsoft

People are aware. I am not seeing/hearing flippancy or obliviousness.

What gives me a moment of WTF, is your suggestion to sell it off to Microsoft. That would just shift it from one spot to another. Do you believe that putting it in American hands would make it all better and disappear any sort of spying or dishonesty? Microsoft has shown itself to be a questionable operator already.
chai2

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 01:38 pm
If you mean by others plural, me singular, I take a pragmatic approach.

I only do TT on my phone, and I never do money transactions on my phone, or have any phone #'s, other ID's like SS in use on them.

Any data China wants to get about me personally they could certainly get a bunch of other ways, so TT doesn't cause me any particular alarm.

In the bigger picture, national security, there's not a damn thing I can do about that, and me personally worrying about it won't make a bit of difference.

I don't see that as flippant, but as looking at myself in the big scheme of things.

Me worrying about other individuals personal security also doesn't change a thing. I have no influence one way or another.

I really like to reserve my alarm and trepidation to things within my personal circle of influence.

I got way too much on my mind, and going on in my life, to worry about someone elses data. I have no influence on the nations data security concerns.

TT quite frankly has been a big stress reliever for me in my current life reality. So, it's been a big positive.
If China wanted my data, they'd already have it.

Is that what you wanted to talk about? I'm not at all being flippant, as you said, asking that.
I'm really not sure what you want anyone to say.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 01:40 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

What gives me a moment of WTF, is your suggestion to sell it off to Microsoft. That would just shift it from one spot to another.

That's what the plan is from what I understand Sturgis. It wasn't particularly tsars idea.

Again though, Microsoft isn't returning my calls, so....
Sturgis

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 01:41 pm
@chai2,
They've blocked my number!
chai2

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2020 01:43 pm
@Sturgis,
Yeah well, the White House blocked mine, so whaddayagonnado?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2020 12:15 pm
Unexpected revelation on the subject. Laughing

Research finds TikTok actually favors Republicans, not Democrats
Quote:
Donald Trump's obsession with TikTok is crystal clear. The president is known for his diatribes against the Chinese-owned social video app in which he's repeatedly suggested it's a state-level plot by the Chinese government to mine data on U.S. citizens and that it's a national security threat. But what Trump doesn't realize is the app that he keeps slamming is also a platform where Republicans outproduce and outweigh Democrats with pro-GOP content.