The Problem with TikTok?

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2020 08:14 pm
@tsarstepan,
BREAKING NEWS

Trump Targets WeChat and TikTok, in Sharp Escalation With China
https://imgur.com/TLq2RBz.jpg
Quote:
WASHINGTON — The Trump administration announced sweeping restrictions on two popular Chinese social media networks, TikTok and WeChat, a sharp escalation of its confrontation with China that is likely to be met with retaliation.

The twin executive orders, released late Thursday night and taking effect in 45 days, cited national security concerns. The orders will bar any transactions with WeChat or TikTok by any person or involving any property subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. The order would exclude any contract entered into before the 45 days elapse, opening up a possible reprieve for TikTok, which is in talks to be acquired by Microsoft.

From The Hill:
Trump issues order to block US transactions with TikTok parent company

From The Verge:
Trump will prohibit transactions with Bytedance beginning September 20 in apparent TikTok ban
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2020 07:34 am
@tsarstepan,
TikTok Threatens to Sue After Trump Moved to Ban It
Quote:
Statement on the Administration's Executive Order
TikTok is a community full of creativity and passion, a home that brings joy to families and meaningful careers to creators. And we are building this platform for the long term. TikTok will be here for many years to come.

We are shocked by the recent Executive Order, which was issued without any due process. For nearly a year, we have sought to engage with the US government in good faith to provide a constructive solution to the concerns that have been expressed. What we encountered instead was that the Administration paid no attention to facts, dictated terms of an agreement without going through standard legal processes, and tried to insert itself into negotiations between private businesses.

We made clear our intentions to work with the appropriate officials to devise a solution to benefit our users, creators, partners, employees, and the broader community in the United States. There has been, and continues to be, no due process or adherence to the law. The text of the decision makes it plain that there has been a reliance on unnamed "reports" with no citations, fears that the app "may be" used for misinformation campaigns with no substantiation of such fears, and concerns about the collection of data that is industry standard for thousands of mobile apps around the world. We have made clear that TikTok has never shared user data with the Chinese government, nor censored content at its request. In fact, we make our moderation guidelines and algorithm source code available in our Transparency Center, which is a level of accountability no peer company has committed to. We even expressed our willingness to pursue a full sale of the US business to an American company.

This Executive Order risks undermining global businesses' trust in the United States' commitment to the rule of law, which has served as a magnet for investment and spurred decades of American economic growth. And it sets a dangerous precedent for the concept of free expression and open markets. We will pursue all remedies available to us in order to ensure that the rule of law is not discarded and that our company and our users are treated fairly – if not by the Administration, then by the US courts.

We want the 100 million Americans who love our platform because it is your home for expression, entertainment, and connection to know: TikTok has never, and will never, waver in our commitment to you. We prioritize your safety, security, and the trust of our community – always. As TikTok users, creators, partners, and family, you have the right to express your opinions to your elected representatives, including the White House. You have the right to be heard.

TikTok's official response
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 08:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
https://imgur.com/erwahjb.jpg
Oracle will partner with TikTok in the United States after Microsoft loses bid
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2020 06:42 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Ha! I get what you mean Sturgis. If I get interested in some
thing, that probably means it’s starting to go out of style.

Were you or are you planning on particiating in (albeit late) the Nutmeg or Benadryl challenges that Tik Tok users love? Or just watch others perform these stunts for millions of views? These Tik Tok content creators are truly the salt of the earth.

TikTok Users Are Eating Nutmeg to Get High and It's More Dangerous Than You Think

Did the ‘Benadryl Challenge’ Prompt Warnings of Overdose Risk?
chai2

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2020 08:19 am
@tsarstepan,
Naw. I’m not going to partake and when I see people who are just producing stupid content I just block any further videos from that person.

Examples of people I do follow is a hospice nurse who has a guess a couple hundred vids discussing all aspects of dying. She has been really helpful in me working with my grief over my late husband. She has so many followers because of her compassion and knowledge.

I also follow a woman who is a professional cleaner and has wonderful tips and advice. This has come in handy as I’ve just bought a new home.

There’s also funny but also useful posts from a gastroenterologist, a gynecologist and a pharmacy pharmacy tech I enjoy.

I’m guessing both your examples and mine also post their same content on YouTube, IG and other platforms.

Yeah there’s a lot of stupid **** out there. People were eating Tide Pods before TikTok.

You just really hate TikTok. That’s cool. I really like it and get a lot out of it on different levels.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2020 09:35 am
@tsarstepan,
Oh **** tsar.

I just watched as much as I could stomach of both those videos.

That was really clumsy of you saying "challenges that TikTock users love"

As if every person loves and is promoting these stupid and dangerous things.

Get real.

These 2 idiots were going for the Darwin Award. Might as well blame A2K for goldmans failure to be a transcriptionist, or voice actor, or having no sucess in finding a new $100 car.

Rolling Eyes

Don't worry, now that old farts have taken over TT, these kids will find another outlet in which to show themselves killing themselves.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2020 06:08 pm
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2020 09:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
TikTok: Even A Temporary Ban Could Make 90% Of Users Quit The App
Quote:
In a new court filing, TikTok leaders make clear just how much is at stake in a prolonged battle with the Trump administration: If TikTok were banned for two months, up to half of its users in America would never come back. If the ban persisted for six months, 90% of TikTok users would be gone forever, according to a top TikTok executive.

Quote:
President Trump's crusade to ban the popular video-sharing app in the U.S. has already cost TikTok millions of dollars in advertising revenue, made it more difficult to recruit new employees and, unless a federal court blocks Trump's ban from taking effect this weekend, TikTok is facing "catastrophic economic loss," Pappas said.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 08:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
Judge gives Trump administration until Friday to defend or delay TikTok ban
Quote:
The Trump administration has until Friday to either delay an order banning Chinese-owned TikTok from US app stores or file legal papers defending the ban, a district court judge ruled Thursday.

The US Commerce Department's order banning new downloads of the popular short form video app is set to take effect Sunday. The government must file a response to TikTok's request for a temporary injunction or delay it by 11:30 a.m. PT, US District Judge Carl Nichols said.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2020 03:35 pm
@tsarstepan,
TikTok users are shaving down their teeth with nail files. Dentists say it could cause permanent damage.
https://imgur.com/KVbmMm3.jpg
chai2

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2020 05:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
Really tsar?

I don't understand this hard on you have for tiktok.

These kids didn't file their teeth because of tiktok. They did it then showed it there, and well as I'm confident showing it on insta, snapchat, etc

In the last 48 hours or so, I've sat in on, and contributed to several Lives going on there.
They were, in no particular order, the Ace community, a surviving spouses grieving group, a regular live hosted by a forensic pychologist, a nurse who currently works in the ICU, and an astromony group. I was on with each group anywhere from half and hour to 2 hours.

The truth is, about 50% of the people on TT are over 35, and another 25% are between 25 and 34.

It's fine if you want to pick out dumb ass kids who most adults block from their fyp. But don't act as if that's all it is.

For every kid who's stuffing a grapefruit down the toilet, there's 3 more showing how to make the Starbucks lemon pound cake (I did this weekend, using almond flour and monk fruit to make it keto. It was deslish), educating about various mental disorders, showing cute pet tricks, showing their work at a wild animal rehab project, etc. There is also some hysterically funny & creative stuff on their too. Not just one offs. There is so much talent out there.

To be fair, most of the youngest on TT aren't filing their teeth either. Before I block their content, I see a lot of it involes putting on makeup, video games, talking about how "old people" suck

BTW I had seen on a news page the thing about filing teeth. Sounds like the parents who allow this **** are pretty stupid too.
However, I don't think even halfway intelligent parents are jumping on this bandwagon, neither are young adults.

Serious question. Have you ever actually spent time yourself on TT, and developed even the beginning of your own algorithm?

If not, it's no different than if I came on here criticizing anime.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2020 09:12 pm
@chai2,
I'll make you a promise. A very keepable one at that. I'll thumb down my own posts on principle and never post here again. I won't beat a social media horse that doesn't deserve the beating.
0 Replies