Can olive oil+honey+essential oils applied to the scalp damage my follicles?

Elysium

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2020 10:01 am
Hey guys,

I am a guy with short hair (1 inch or so). I have thinning hair and I thought I would give my hair a boost of beneficial things in the form of virgin olive oil+honey+rosemary essential oil.

Now, I apply this mixture to my scalp and I gently massage it into my scalp and hair. Could this damage the follicles? I am badly trying to do the opposite.

I am asking simply because I was told that conditioners should go on the hair (not on the scalp). My mixture is a totally natural one which should help me revitalise the follicles.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 551 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2020 10:54 am
@Elysium,
Waiting for it...
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2020 11:00 am
@Elysium,
Keeping your hair and scalp clean is the only thing that is PROVEN helpful. Nothing (other than Monoxidil with very poor side effects) can stimulate regrowth of the of hair follicles.

Otherwise stick with habits of lots of sunlight, no pollution/ good healthful lifestyle and clean hair and scalp.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2020 11:11 am
@Elysium,
Raw essential oils should never be applied to the skin, they will burn.

You need to dilute them with almond or olive oil.
farmerman

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2020 01:08 pm
@izzythepush,
we use tea tree oil on insect bites and poison ivy .It works but there is usually a bit of discomfort at the site of application. How do we even cut the essentil oil without losing its effectiveness??
I nver heard of not using the raw oils.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2020 01:55 pm
@farmerman,
My late wife got into essential oils before she died, so this is second hand information. I think there are a couple of essential oils than can be used neat, and I think tea tree oil is one of them, but we’re talking about two or three at the most.

All other oils need to be diluted with a carrier oil, usually almond, otherwise it burns, it’s caustic.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2020 01:58 pm
@izzythepush,
I’m on an iPad and can’t post links, but don’t take my word. Google diluting essential oils to see for yourself.

We don’t get poison ivy over here, we get nettles. For those we use dock leaves.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2020 02:18 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

we use tea tree oil on insect bites and poison ivy .It works but there is usually a bit of discomfort at the site of application. How do we even cut the essentil oil without losing its effectiveness??
I nver heard of not using the raw oils.

Best, as I heard it, is to cut the tea tree oil with about 25% with grape seed oil. It's a very thin seed oil and doesn't lie on the surface. Notice that I haven't tried it.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2020 02:28 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Minoxidil...

Which also gets prescribed for hypertension.

Another medication which supposedly stimulates hair growth is Proscar. It's meant to aid men with an enlarged prostate gland. For hair growth it is tinkered with and marketed as Propecia.

Proscar does something to the hair, at least it did for me. It also gave me severe nose bleeds.

Another thing about Proscar...women who are pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant, should not touch Proscar with an ungloved hand.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2020 02:53 pm
@izzythepush,
When my significant other, Marvelous Maxine, wanted some soothing bath oils I recall researching essential oils. It recommending diluting the oils as they can be powerful (meaning skin irritation).

I think I was looking up lavender oils but found others recommended diluting them too. One second while I pull it up:

There is no need to dilute lavender essential oil with other liquids but you may use water or your favorite oil if that’s your choice (expensive).

OTOH, Tea tree oil can be a little irritating on the scalp but is excellent at cleaning the scalp and is considered helpful for dandruff prevention.
0 Replies