Yo, experts!

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:11 pm
#9 LCD advantages

Brighter (~450 candelas per square meter vs ~100 candelas per square meter for plasma); better contrast ratio; no susceptible to burn-in like plasmas are; longer lifespan; use less power.

#10 Plasma advantages

Color saturation; screen size (up to 60 inches); faster response time.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:13 pm
I'm gonna pause again. The ones I'm least sure of as of now:

#1. ("What's the difference between the laser in a CD-ROM drive and the laser in a DVD player?")

#4. (". What is the most common interface for transferring digital video from a camcorder to a computer?")

(Thanks for the guess, FreeDuck, makes sense.)

#14. ("How much full-screen, full-quality video will fit on a Video CD?")

#19. (" In your opinion, what is the most impressive development in consumer video in the last 5 years, and why? 50 words or less, please.")
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:16 pm
More info on #14:

Quote:
Video data is demanding in terms of storage capacity; it requires approximately 5 MB of storage per second of video, which would translate to about two minutes of video on a 680 MB CD. In order to store video information on a CD in a practical fashion, the data must be compressed for storage and then decompressed for replay in real time. MPEG-1 compresses data at ratios of up to 200:1. MPEG is an international standard, and can be used by any manufacturer to create hardware for use with MPEG video. MPEG video can also be recorded on any CD. VCD formatting removes unnecessary information from MPEG-1 data, and adds specialized video authoring capabilities through inclusion of a CD-i (CD- Interactive) runtime application.

http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid5_gci507081,00.html
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:54 pm
Soz, this is cheating, and I won't stand for it. You're no better than the kids coming here looking for people to solve their math homework problems.

Actually, I don't know any of the answers off the top of my head.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:11 pm
Aw, you got my hopes up!

I know, I know, I feel sheepish, but this IS an ask-an-expert site...

(Meanwhile, did you notice I've found almost all the answers myself? How many math homework teenagers do that? Huh?)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:24 pm
#10. You can buy a bigger plasma than you can an LCD. Plasma can suffer from burn in. At the 42" size that is so popular, plasma is currently less expensive than flat panel LCD.

#16. AVI MOV and MPG

#17. I don't know but it looks great. One thing I do know, real HD is 100% digital from lens to set.

#18. Letterbox images refer to films that were produced in widescreen formats wider and shorter than a 16:9 HDTV. So there are black bars at top and bottom, and there's not a lot you can do about it.

#19. HD and HD Tivo, no question.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:33 pm
Thanks cjhsa!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:36 pm
#1. The laser in the DVD player has a shorter wavelength. This allows a higher information density on the media, because of the increased resolution.

(Got that one from E.G.)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 06:47 pm
sozobe wrote:
#3: Changing. Typically 4.7 GB. An 8.5 GB dual layer version by Pioneer appeared this year.

Not changing though.

Dual layer DVDs predated them, for example, when you rent or buy a DVD movie, it is dual layer.

There are anti-piracy reasons that recordable media is half the size or expensive.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 07:14 pm
Thanks!

So correct answer is 4.7 GB?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 03:49 pm
Yup
0 Replies

danimal

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:57 pm
13. A 32-bit video file contains three 8-bit channels, one for each of the three primary colors. What is the remaining 8-bit channel used for?

i'd guess that it's for the alpha channel(aka transparency).
0 Replies