The Either/Or mentality of the political extremes.

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 09:54 am
One side is telling me that if I support Black Lives Matter, then I don't support police. I don't accept that (especially since my son is a police officer).

I believe that then anger behind the Black Lives matter movement represents legitimate problems with the way African-American men are affected by how we do policing. I believe that we need to have a real discussion that leads to police reform. I also believe that this is an important part of a bigger discussion we need to have about racism that still exists in our society.

Does supporting Black Lives Matter mean that I support violence? Of course not. I don't support violence. This is not that difficult to understand; I support the policy aims and the strong message of anger from the Black Lives matter movement. I don't support the acts of violence that have been done by some people associated by the Black Lives Matter movement.

There is no contradiction... it isn't an either or choice.

1. I want police to be safe and to be able to do their jobs with respect and the support of the community.
2. I want reforms to address the injustice of police violence particularly faced by African American men.
3. I support peaceful protests... even angry protests if they are peaceful.
4. I denounce and oppose violence.

izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 09:57 am
@maxdancona,
Nonsense.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 10:01 am
@maxdancona,
The political left does the same trick... pushing people in to false either/or choice.

Is it possible to support Trump without being a racist (or a fascist). Of course it is?

Someone can believe that hate speech should be protected as free speech (even for Nazis) without support Naziism. Or, believe in due process for people accused of rape without supporting rape.

Our dialog has become so divided everyone goes to the extremes. The discussion here on Able2know (which maybe reflects society in general) involves attaching a label to someone and then attacking them based on simplistic stereotypes.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 10:15 am
@maxdancona,
Complete bollocks, this crap is just in your head.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 10:20 am
Max should change his name to Pavlov. He rings and Izzy drools in response.

It's truly spectacular.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 12:31 pm
@maxdancona,
If the Democrat party was left wing, let alone extreme, a right winger like Joe Biden would not have got the nomination.

There’s no left wing party in America with any hope of gaining power.

There’s a right wing party, Democrats, and a far right party, Republicans.

As always Max is pulling “facts” out of his arse.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 01:05 pm
@izzythepush,
This thread isn't about the Democrat party or the Republican party. This isn't about political parties at all. It is about the Either/Or mentality of political discussion. For example

- I support woman's rights, including reforms in ending workplace harrassment.
- I disagree with the claims of "rape culture", for example the idea that offensive jokes are part of a general hostile culture towards woman.

You have the right to disagree with me on either one of these points. The problem is when people make the claim that it is impossible to hold both of these beliefs.

The political extreme will say "If you don't accept our ideas about 'rape culture' then you can't support 'workplace reforms'". It is all of nothing, if you aren't in complete agreement than you are a misogynist (or racist, or fascist...)

The issue is the inability to have any sort of discussion. As soon as someone fails any checkbox on the "litmus test" of political correctness... the discussion turns to insults.

(... and what I think you are about to see here will prove my point).

izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 01:17 pm
@maxdancona,
Who has been making that claim?

The only person I can see making a similar claim is you.

Have you considered that political ideology has nothing to do with whether or not people believe you support women’s rights.

Nobody is saying it’s impossible for an individual to hold such beliefs, they just doubt you do.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 01:19 pm
@izzythepush,
Good. We are in agreement then.

That was easy.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 01:20 pm
@maxdancona,
Because it was never an issue in the first place, just something you pulled out of your arse.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 01:29 pm
@izzythepush,
There are lots of examples here...

- Conservatives are saying that any questioning of Israel is anti-semitism.

- Some people here are literally say that supporting Black Live Matters means you want police to get shot.

- People raising questions about the #MeToo movement were attacked for "hating women" (and those exact words were used).

- People here claim that opposing abortion means you "don't want women to get health care".

My point is that you can support funding and advancing women's health care and oppose the legal right to abortion. You can question Israel's actions in the occupied territories and support the rights of the practice of Judaism along with other religions in a multicultural society.

When the personal attacks start, the discussion stops.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 01:47 pm
@maxdancona,
No specific examples, just vague references to “people.”

There have always been people with extreme positions.

I can’t see how anything has changed.

You’ve offered no evidence that mainstream politics, Trump excepting, has become more extreme.

It’s something you keep saying, and only you.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 01:52 pm
@izzythepush,
Ok... If you are going to agree with me on this thread, I am OK with that.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 01:54 pm
@maxdancona,
I’m not agreeing with you.

I’m saying you’re making **** up.

You really are delusional.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 01:56 pm
@izzythepush,
Weren't you saying that anyone that supports Trump is a racist?
NealNealNeal

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 01:58 pm
@maxdancona,
It is obvious that you are a man of great intelligence. You make good points in most, if not all of your posts.
Unfortunately, people tend to hate what you say. It is "painful" truth which they don't want to face.
God bless you.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 02:01 pm
@McGentrix,
I remember you saying that sexually assaulting young girls is alpha male behaviour.

I accept your claim not to be overtly racist, yet you support Trump despite being fully aware of how racist he is.

Your commitment to equality has limits.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 02:12 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I remember you saying that sexually assaulting young girls is alpha male behaviour.

No, that is your not being able to understand written English. But, I suppose that is what you get from some one that shoots babies.

izzythepush wrote:
I accept your claim not to be overtly racist, yet you support Trump despite being fully aware of how racist he is.

Your commitment to equality has limits.

Someday, you will understand that words mean things. Until that time though it is best that people just point and laugh at you for entertaining them.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 02:16 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

No, that is your not being able to understand written English

At any other time Max would be saying how he loves irony.

0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)

1. Forums
  2. » The Either/Or mentality of the political extremes.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 12:54:59