The Either/Or mentality of the political extremes.

izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 02:38 pm
@maxdancona,
McGentrix has made it pretty clear he supports Trump so you can stop the sanctimonious hand wringing now.

You can’t show respect without showing honesty and you’re the most dishonest, and sneaky, poster on A2K.

You don’t respect yourself enough to show your true face.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 02:52 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
When the personal attacks start,the discussion stops.

Then why are you so often found in these threads attacking. Is it perhaps your discomfort with open discussion?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 04:24 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Quote:
When the personal attacks start,the discussion stops.

Then why are you so often found in these threads attacking. Is it perhaps your discomfort with open discussion?

I am very careful not to do the Either/Or thing. If I disagree with you on one issue, I am happy to agree with you on another. And if you tell me what you believe, I accept that you understand your own beliefs better than I do.

I respect people who can say; I agree with the left on these issues, and I think that the right makes valid points on these issues. Most people line up into ideological left and right with no room for substantial disagreement. I suppose this is fine.

What isn't fine is that when people try to break out of the ideological bubble, even to suggest that the other side might have a valid point... they take fire from both sides.

How many times has a conversation like this played out...

Me: I believe that women should be protected from harassment in the workplace
Them: No you don't, you hate women.
Me: I am pretty sure I know what I believe...
Them: No. You hate women. And you are a liar.

It is silly when one one person thinks they can dictate what another person believes. But if you put people into these ideological bubbles without allowing for the possibility that people might have a mixture of beliefs... then this type of mind reading is a natural result.

izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 04:38 pm
@maxdancona,
And as if by magic we have another poor Max thread.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Real Music

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2020 08:16 pm

McGentrix

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2020 10:43 pm
@Real Music,
Norm MacDonald is a funny guy.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 05:06 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
- Conservatives are saying that any questioning of Israel is anti-semitism.

Not all questioning. It depends on the questioning.

Falsely accusing Israel of a horrific atrocity and then questioning them for what you have falsely accused them of doing is what is antisemitism.

maxdancona wrote:
You can question Israel's actions in the occupied territories and support the rights of the practice of Judaism along with other religions in a multicultural society.

It is still antisemitism if you are questioning them for an atrocity that they have not committed.

Note also that Israel is a Jewish state. Muslims have no right to steal other people's religious sites.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 07:03 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
One side is telling me that if I support Black Lives Matter, then I don't support police.

Black Lives Matter is all about preventing police officers from defending themselves when black people murder them.

maxdancona wrote:
I don't accept that (especially since my son is a police officer).

Progressives have a long history of refusing to accept facts and reality.

maxdancona wrote:
I believe that then anger behind the Black Lives matter movement represents legitimate problems with the way African-American men are affected by how we do policing. I believe that we need to have a real discussion that leads to police reform. I also believe that this is an important part of a bigger discussion we need to have about racism that still exists in our society.

I believe that you will respond to any attempt at serious discussion by referring to facts and reality as silly and simplistic, and then walking away from the discussion.

maxdancona wrote:
Does supporting Black Lives Matter mean that I support violence? Of course not. I don't support violence. This is not that difficult to understand; I support the policy aims and the strong message of anger from the Black Lives matter movement.

The policy aim of the Black Lives Matter movement is to ensure that black people can rape and murder white people with impunity.

In furtherance of that goal they have an additional aim of ensuring that black people can murder police officers with impunity.

maxdancona wrote:
I don't support the acts of violence that have been done by some people associated by the Black Lives Matter movement.

What acts of violence are you referring to?

maxdancona wrote:
There is no contradiction... it isn't an either or choice.
1. I want police to be safe and to be able to do their jobs with respect and the support of the community.

Actually there is in fact a contradiction there.

Black Lives Matter demands that police officers be prevented from defending themselves whenever black people murder them.

maxdancona wrote:
2. I want reforms to address the injustice of police violence particularly faced by African American men.

What is unjust about a police officer defending himself from someone who is murdering him?

maxdancona wrote:
3. I support peaceful protests... even angry protests if they are peaceful.

How about protests that peacefully demand that police officers be prevented from defending themselves when black people murder them?

maxdancona wrote:
4. I denounce and oppose violence.

Note that murdering police officers counts as violence.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 10:22 am
@Real Music,
mark
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.62 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 09:07:01