U.S. Says Russian Hackers Are Trying To Steal Coronavirus Vaccine Research

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2020 02:48 pm
Chief Vaccine Scientist Will Not Be Forced to Disclose Pharmaceutical Stocks

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/15/us/politics/vaccine-Slaoui-coronavirus-trump.html?fbclid=IwAR3lwUWIE8dkr_VIjqwPT_CQynpG_R0hfRatHXPzlp5qcGiD6BQRPDPmYds

The $1 contract, the groups said, appears “designed primarily to allow Slaoui to maintain an extensive web of conflicting financial interests without the need to divest of, recuse from or disclose those conflicting interests” and “provides Slaoui with the opportunity to enrich himself, his colleagues and his employers.”

In its reply to the groups, an official in the inspector general’s office said that Dr. Slaoui’s appointment is expected to stretch beyond 200 days, well past what it said was the “applicable statutory time limit” for a special government employee.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2020 03:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
For what it's worth, I absolutely agree that this is bad. High level government employees should absolutely be forced to disclose possible conflicts of interest.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2020 05:47 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

There are two separate issues here....

1) How to set up an economic system that incentivizes the best scientists and organization to do the work needed to find a vaccine.

2) How to set up an economic system that incentivizes sharing of information.

The problem is that the simplest way to accomplish #2 screws up the economic incentives needed for #1. If people can steal your work, it makes it harder for you to get paid for your successes.

Put yourself in the shoes of a research scientists. How would you want to be
compensated?

I've taken a vow of poverty, Max...so it doesn't make sense for me to answer that.

Besides, you are convinced that allowing the search for a cure to take longer because of profit motives is moral, reasonable, and ethical...so there is no "other" for you to seriously consider.

In any case, we are the most capitalistic nation on the planet...and we are handling the pandemic just great under this system, so why bother to even think about alternatives.

roger

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2020 05:56 pm
@Frank Apisa,

Frank Apisa wrote:

In any case, we are the most capitalistic nation on the planet...and we are handling the pandemic just great under this system, so why bother to even think about alternatives.

Frank, it's getting darn hard to separate your sarcasm from your opinion.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2020 06:25 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
you are convinced that allowing the search for a cure to take longer because of profit motives is moral, reasonable, and ethical...so there is no "other" for you to seriously consider.

That is not what I said at all. In fact, I am saying the opposite. The cure will be much faster because of profit motives. The more we value a cure, the more money we will be willing to pay for a cure and the more people will work on a cure. I think that allowing the search for a cure to take longer because of some ideological worship of a doctrine of poverty is immoral.

I am not a big fan of poverty. I have taken a vow of wealth.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2020 06:31 pm
@maxdancona,
Just to make it clear...

1. I agree with you that having people share their work may be helpful.

2. The way to do this is to economically incentivize people to share data. That way you can have people share their work without taking away the incentive to do the work in the first place.

If you tell people that they have to do their work without any expectation of financial compensation... they will tell you to **** off, and they will go do something that will allow them to earn money. Most people reading this would do the same.

Is anyone here working on a vaccine?

oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2020 12:11 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Of course, the problem with tax-funded research and development is that it replaces the profit motive with a politically-correct motive.

If the goal is to make a big profit, you are going to be incentivised choose the scientists and research projects that are most likely to be successful. In this case, the people who are making the decisions have a financial stake in getting it right. It is not a perfect system... but it has clearly been successful.

If the tax-payer money is coming in, the people who are making the decisions can be motivated by all kinds of things. They may choose what fits their politics, or the people they like or any number of things. They no longer have a financial stake in the decisions they make.

Government bureaucracy works for some types of problems. The British healthcare system is a perfect example of system that relies on doctors pretty much all doing the same thing within a regulated system.

Scientific research isn't that... we want the best people with competing ideas taking risks until someone reaches the goal post.

I agree with that.

But on the other hand, if a group of countries choose to get together and contribute government funds to an international research effort that will donate its results to the world, I'm all for that too.

But let's leave the US out of it. We can just grab up the free results when they donate their findings to the world.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2020 05:44 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Frank, it's getting darn hard to separate your sarcasm from your opinion.

It shouldn't. My sarcasm is as sarcastic as I can make it. I forgot about the "font colour" button. So let me try this again.

If I remember correctly, green font used to be used to denote sarcasm.

I have been VERY sarcastic during this recent exchange.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2020 05:57 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
you are convinced that allowing the search for a cure to take longer because of profit motives is moral, reasonable, and ethical...so there is no "other" for you to seriously consider.

That is not what I said at all. In fact, I am saying the opposite. The cure will be much faster because of profit motives. The more we value a cure, the more money we will be willing to pay for a cure and the more people will work on a cure. I think that allowing the search for a cure to take longer because of some ideological worship of a doctrine of poverty is immoral.

Bullshit. Hiding research from other researchers will almost certainly slow discovery.
But, as I suggested, your need to suppose that is blinding you to alternatives...so...whatever.

Quote:
I am not a big fan of poverty. I have taken a vow of wealth.

I'm not a big fan of poverty either. Not sure when I took that vow, but obviously I did, because I am almost 84, and I am damn near the soul of poverty.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2020 05:58 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Just to make it clear...

1. I agree with you that having people share their work may be helpful.

2. The way to do this is to economically incentivize people to share data. That way you can have people share their work without taking away the incentive to do the work in the first place.

If you tell people that they have to do their work without any expectation of financial compensation... they will tell you to **** off, and they will go do something that will allow them to earn money. Most people reading this would do the same.

Is anyone here working on a vaccine?

I am.

I am working on a vaccine for bullshit.

Not trying to make a dime on it.

Not having much success either.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2020 09:16 am
To change the discussion a little (and hopefully elevate it)-- I want to discuss the Open Software model. I am a software engineer... in my industry there is a big movement to share information (and software). This movement was called "Free Software" is now a big part of even professional software development. It was started by Richard Stallman who is one of the rare people who actually changed the world (you are benefitting from Richard Stallman when you use Able2know).

However, companies still need to make money, so we have a mix. Some software is shared. Some software is keep secret.

Free Software works because it allows corporations like Google, and Apple and Amazon to share ideas while making obscene amounts of money. These corporations exist to make profits. If they can do that while working together and sharing technology... the world benefits. I work for a corporation and I get paid well. I am legally prohibited from sharing much of my work as part of my contract (and believe me it is very well spelled out). I am allowed to share other parts of my work and actually encouraged to "give back" to the free software community.

I imagine we could do something equivalent with Vaccine Research (I don't know; medical research isn't my field). But profits are a fact of life.

If we want great results, we need to make them economically profitable. That is just reality. It is certainly possible that they can figure out a way to share information. But it has to be economically profitable.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2020 09:23 am
@maxdancona,
I should clarify, the term "Free Software" shows a problem with the English language. As Stallman said "It is free as in speech, not free as in beer". You are allowed to charge for free software (it is free as long as the source code can be viewed and shared openly).

I imagine you could pay research groups for making their data freely available. Again, this isn't my industry so I don't know how this kind of thing works.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2020 10:27 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

To change the discussion a little (and hopefully elevate it)-- I want to discuss the Open Software model. I am a software engineer... in my industry there is a big movement to share information (and software). This movement was called "Free Software" is now a big part of even professional software development. It was started by Richard Stallman who is one of the rare people who actually changed the world (you are benefitting from Richard Stallman when you use Able2know).

However, companies still need to make money, so we have a mix. Some software is shared. Some software is keep secret.

Free Software works because it allows corporations like Google, and Apple and Amazon to share ideas while making obscene amounts of money. These corporations exist to make profits. If they can do that while working together and sharing technology... the world benefits. I work for a corporation and I get paid well. I am legally prohibited from sharing much of my work as part of my contract (and believe me it is very well spelled out). I am allowed to share other parts of my work and actually encouraged to "give back" to the free software community.

I imagine we could do something equivalent with Vaccine Research (I don't know; medical research isn't my field). But profits are a fact of life.

If we want great results, we need to make them economically profitable. That is just reality. It is certainly possible that they can figure out a way to share information. But it has to be economically profitable.

Once again, I agree. We probably would save a lot of time and lives if everyone worked together and shared all the information garnered...but then people would not make as much money...and not gain as much fame.

**** the people and their suffering...and the deaths. The money and fame is much more important.

(To those wondering if my comments to Max on this issue are sarcasm...well... Embarrassed

...yer onta me.)
maxdancona

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2020 11:57 am
@Frank Apisa,
I know you don't think vaccine research should involve money.... but indulge me for a moment and let's say that it does. Let's assume for the sake of argument that developing a vaccine for covid (and ending all the "suffering" and "deaths") does require money... and a lot of money.

Do you still think we should do it?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2020 12:06 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I know you don't think vaccine research should involve money.... but indulge me for a moment and let's say that it does. Let's assume for the sake of argument that developing a vaccine for covid (and ending all the "suffering" and "deaths") does require money... and a lot of money.

Do I think we should do WHAT?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2020 12:36 pm
Thinking two posters may have made an agreement to troll my threads. Of course the mods will never call them on it.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2020 12:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
What exactly do you want the moderators to do?

(And I will point out that if this counts as "trashing" your thread... it is you that started throwing trash.)

0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2020 10:11 pm
The entire Russian cold war philosophy is developing ways to make people sick. They and their KGB emperor delve into how to rot a society from the inside out.

Russia makes media meant for children aimed at foreign adversaries filled with hopeless propaganda so the children exposed to this media grow up to be sickly and dysfunctional in society.

The idea of healing the sick is a foreign idea to Russian scientists and researchers...

Their aim is to feed Americans with enough lies and they will grow up (or down) to be republicans.

Finding a cure for something is pointless when they can just steal that kind of stuff.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2020 10:23 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
maxdancona wrote:

Do I think we should do WHAT?

Do you think we should develop a vaccine against the virus that causes Covid-19 (given the circumstances that Max described)?
0 Replies

theprofessor

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 02:04 am
@edgarblythe,
hey edgar long time Smile much love friend
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:05:40