Etiquete of galring errors

Chai

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 03:47 pm
hmmm
I'm not sure if I fall into the bad speller/grammer catagory or not..

I tend to let my brains lead my fingers and not look back.
Then - I'll submit and see errors - my biggie is typing you instead of your, or leaving off "s's" but I figure that by the sentence it can be figured out.

BTW - why is it why one uses spell check here, it suggest Iamb whenever "I'm" is typed.
Wouldn't that be recognized as a common word?

I can pretty much tell when someone is fooling around and misspelling on porpoise.
But my gripe is to, two, too and their, there, they're.
personally, I embarrass myself by typing out a word that really pinpoints my meaning - only to realize half way through that I'm not sure how to spell it.
But I just plow on.
also - I'm not that big on capitalization at the beginning on sentences while posting - I don't mind it in others also, since for me it gives me more of a feeling of being comfortable enough with the gang to take my shoes off, so to speak.
0 Replies

bsingh5

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 04:08 pm
Oh dear Noddy I now know that you take pretentiously (not necessarly with out reason so don't read too much into that) to my generations spelling I will try a lot harder Embarrassed ....I think I fall into the category of one who knows fairly enough to spell well but not enough to get through the standards that are set for me (such as you noble veterans who "know your stuff") Confused

However i blame no one but the "students" themselves....we put so much of bs blame on the outside world instead of taking a look at the world that our children have created for themselves that we are blindsided by the fact that if students now-a-days had half the sense that the older generation did then the world would be far better off.

How much do you want to bet that if some hafway decent kid thought that "hey may be instead of playing video games, i should read" they would glean far more knowledge than the "normal" kids....

I am 17 so I am ashamed to say that I too indulge in the "fad" typing of my X generation some times, but most of the times i am so fed up with the slang that I think "Am I more sophisticated or just too stupid to pick it up?"
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 04:08 pm
One of my favorite threads ever happened because I typed "wold" instead of "world" and Miss Mind Her Own Business eBeth linked us up to Catswold on Wold and before you knew it the Canadian Knitters Association were all sipping tea and hitting each other with oars.
0 Replies

bsingh5

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 04:14 pm
lol
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 05:19 pm
boomerang wrote:
One of my favorite threads ever happened because I typed "wold" instead of "world" and Miss Mind Her Own Business eBeth linked us up to Catswold on Wold and before you knew it the Canadian Knitters Association were all sipping tea and hitting each other with oars.

hehehehehehehe

I think that was my first public word association experience. Fantastic thread. I think that may also have been the thread where I really learned to google.
You've forced me to learn a lot over the years, boomer.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 05:23 pm
This pot is not going to call any kettle black.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 05:27 pm
I dunno, I think it's ok to correct people - I don't mind when people correct me (I am a lazy typer!).
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 05:37 pm
In this environment I often don't read what I have written, just shoot from the hip. I do try to be clear if not correct.

I do sometimes see errors like using "to" instead of 'too" or "your" instead of "you're", and I wonder if it's a mistake due to quick typing or the person truly does not know the difference. If I was grading a paper I would take off points, but here I don't give it much thought.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 06:32 pm
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:02 pm
Quote:
BTW - why is it why one uses spell check here, it suggest Iamb whenever "I'm" is typed.

Yeah. What's up with that?

Joe(Somebody ask Craven.)Nation
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:43 pm
As Freeduck mentioned, when i re-read my posts and find errors, i go in to edit them. I'll do it days or even weeks later. There's nothing wrong with that--it is almost always a typo, occassionally a word omitted.

We had a thread at AFUZZ about five years ago on standard English. I pointed out there that for whatever claims the young may make about spelling or grammar tyranny, they do themselves a disservice in life by not adhering to standard English. There are at least tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions, of Chinese who diligently study standard English, and wish to get it letter perfect. You can see them at this site. World-wide there are easily hundreds of millions of people who work hard to learn standard English. Any yop here in the New Nited States who wants to write text-messaging all their lives will probably be free to do so, as i understand that pizza delivery is not an intellectually challenging profession. Call centers went overseas to India not simply for economic reasons, but because nearly sixty years after the end of the Raj, the people of the subcontinent still learn to read, write and speak standard English. They've got a powerful advantage over any American who hasn't the good sense to do the same.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:52 pm
Can I just say that this title is driving me absolutely batty every time I see it?!!!

I'm in the right profession, aren't I? Indulge my grammar-bully tendencies and get paid for it.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:55 pm
far to serious here.................
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:18 pm
ehBeth wrote:

You've forced me to learn a lot over the years, boomer.

Right back at'cha my dear.

And you've made it fun.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:55 pm
sozobe wrote:
Can I just say that this title is driving me absolutely batty every time I see it?!!!

Yes, everytime I see it I try to decide what a gal-ring might be.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 09:55 pm
littlek wrote:
I dunno, I think it's ok to correct people - I don't mind when people correct me (I am a lazy typer!).

<Heads off to check littlek's last 50 posts to see if any galring errors can be found.>
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 01:42 am
Galring:- A circle of females dancing around a pile of handbags at a Disco.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 01:53 am
Thought at first, this was about the etiquette in a callgirl ring and misread 'Lord Ellpus' for 'Lord Archer' ...
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/07/2024 at 09:00:22