Etiquete of galring errors

Noddy24

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 06:25 am
We're all imperfect. Anyone's fingers may slip on a keyboard. Anyone's eyes may be temporarily blinded to misspellings.

I'm not a natural born speller myself, but when I see glaring errors--particularly in the subject line of a post--I'm sorely tempted to suggest correction.

On the other hand, A2K is not an English class.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,328 • Replies: 57
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 06:51 am
I think that people judge you on how you speak and in this case how you write. If you want to be taken seriously and want to post something serious you need to take the time to spellcheck your post. It bugs the hell out of me to see horrible grammar. A mistake here and there is normal and I can handle it. But no punctuation (or in the wrong place), run on sentences and terrible spelling tells me you don't care enough about your position to bother making it readable, so why should I care about it?

On the other hand, you are right. This isn't an English class and we all have our slang and bad days when we couldn't care less if we use proper punctuation and spelling. But you will also notice that many of the respected members of A2K use decent grammar and use spellcheck. Coincidence? I think not. :wink:
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:36 am
Pretty clever title thread there, Noddy! Smile

I mess up all the time. But it is mostly when I am in a hurry or have a million things on my mind. Most of the time I know exactly what errors I have made in spelling and will go back and correct them and I always use spell checker for the ones I really overlooked.

As far as perfect punctuation and grammar go, I mostly wing it there and hope for the best. I don't mind if my errors are pointed out to me as long as it is constructive criticism. To flame just for the sake of flaming, especially openly, is rather rude in my opinion. I don't see rude flaming happening here on A2K.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:37 am
Anyone may make a typo or a simple grammatical mistake. I do get annoyed when folks use words incorrectly. (Mute instead of moot, are instead of our, etc.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:57 am
I have a terrible time with this. I recently succumbed, a particular title was driving me absolutely insane and since it was a thread asking for writing help, I went ahead. I usually am able to control myself, since I don't think it's very nice and usually doesn't serve any particular purpose. A member of a forum I used to frequent would always use apostrophes with her plural's, and after like a year of low-level annoyance I said something about it. She was nice but I think I made her feel bad and she didn't really change her habits after that, either.

So, I'd choose the last option I think, unless feedback is specifically being requested.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:02 am
My experience after several years online is that it is bad form to take notice of people's errors, with a few exceptions. One exception is when the error is such that meaning is obscured--it is then acceptable to ask for the author to clarify her remarks. Another exception is when dealing with someone who is not a native speaker of the language, and one feels reasonably certain that the correction will be taken with good will. Yet another exception arises when one knows one is dealing with someone who is quite young, and feels that the error can be pointed out to their benefit without offending them. Such errors would fall into Drew Dad's category--but the effort is usually futile, as when i've told Constitutional Girl that "of coarse" ought to be written "of course," but she presists in the former.

Finally, i take notice of errors at times for sheer ridicule--i'm a bad man, what can i say.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:08 am
For me it's like the pot calling the kettle black.

rubbing eyes to see about clearing up my dsylexia
If you know what I mean Embarrassed

Common Signs of Dyslexia: Adults
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:19 am
I have voted for MYOB - but for myself I would rather someone told me.

Thay grate on me terribly - but I shut up, generally - unless I am teasing someone - or occasionally when I am really angry with somebody.

Sigh.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:30 am
I guess I am the only one who doesn't mind being a meanie. Hm. I have been told I am too honest sometimes.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:42 am
i nevr ever make mistakes...
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 09:17 am
Feel free to point out any of my errors (PM in the thread email or other)... I could use the help.

What I hate are intentional errors. Stupid online dialog like gud (How freaking hard is it to type 2 o's instead of 1 u?) or wud or ant of that stupid abbreviation crap... drives me crazy.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 09:57 am
I usually ignore typos and grammar errors in the content of a post, particularly when it's fairly obvious what is intended. As for my own posts, if I re-read them and notice errors that make my meaning unclear, I usually edit. But I don't always re-read them and I appreciate that people let me slide on those.

Subject lines, though, hmmm. Sometimes the errors are very humorous and I have a hard time not poking fun. However, maybe people don't know that they can edit the title after it's posted. That might be the best way to go about it -- "you know you can edit your original post and correct the thread title..."
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 09:58 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Feel free to point out any of my errors (PM in the thread email or other)... I could use the help.

What I hate are intentional errors. Stupid online dialog like gud (How freaking hard is it to type 2 o's instead of 1 u?) or wud or ant of that stupid abbreviation crap... drives me crazy.

Then you will LOVE this thread....

help!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 09:59 am
FreeDuck wrote:
But I don't always re-read them and I appreciate that people let me slide on those.

I have never read a post that irritated me. You don't make the mistakes that drive me nuts. See link to post above...that makes me CRAZY!!!!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 10:06 am
Oh god. I couldn't get past the first two words. I feel better already.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 10:13 am
Bella Dea wrote:

Then you will LOVE this thread....

help!

It was a good thing I was sitting down because my blood pressure just shot through the roof.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 10:38 am
We're certainly united in our horror.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 10:45 am
Great tilte

I try not to correct although Lord El posted such a clunker in his thread headline that I nudged him about it. He was a good sport as I knew he would be.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 10:46 am
For the most part, I'm in the MYOB camp.

If I can't figure out what the poster is trying to say/ask, I'll either ask for clarification or wander off.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 11:30 am
I've just read the "help" thread, before finding this topic. What a coincidence.

I was tempted, sorely tempted, but tried to respond in such a way as to express my feelings, without going overboard.

It is age of the txt msg . gr8, eh?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Etiquete of galring errors
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/07/2024 at 08:51:31