Etiquete of galring errors

mac11

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 11:34 am
I decided to give that kid the answer to his question, but couldn't resist pointing out that his post wasn't easily deciphered. <sigh>
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 11:36 am
panzade wrote:
Great tilte

I try not to correct although Lord El posted such a clunker in his thread headline that I nudged him about it. He was a good sport as I knew he would be.

OOPS! I thought you'd forgotten about that one. Over enthusiasm of the left digit, I'm afraid.

My wife used to teach typing some years back, and whenever she sees me wrestling with the keyboard, she is always reminded of a phrase that they used for my particular technique.

"Hunting and Pecking".
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 11:38 am
Oh my gosh! You guys are creaping me up! Lil speling drives you nutz?
LOL :wink:

Liken to push a button and pullen a chain!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 11:52 am
Here is a classic example of this dilemma.

A 16 year old English (I'm ashamed to say) girl, is taking her life in her hands by entering the Lions den of the Politics Forum.

Her grammar is awful, her spelling even worse, but she is clearly making a serious attempt, in a 16 year old way, to debate the qualities of Messrs Blair and Bush.

Now....what would you do?

Possibly the PM approach? Even then, how would you approach it?

Personally, I blame the teachers, and will severely reprimand my wife when she gets home.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/about54974.html
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 12:17 pm
Never mind....Panzade and Kicky have hijacked the thread, and are now having a "spitball" competition.

I'm tempted to join in, but my aims not that good.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 12:21 pm
Interesting thread, Noddy. I don't do polls, but I did PM someone once about barbarisms.

And, 'ellpus, I blame the teachers sometimes, but please include in that the principals; supervisors; parents; culture, etc.

In demonstrating psychological space, I once called a kid up front and slowly moved toward him. He, of course, moved backwards. I thought I had succeeded in making my point, when out of the blue, the young man said:

Mrs. Letty, what would you have did if I'd of retched up and kissed you?

There is no way I was gonna touch that. It could not have been said better.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 12:21 pm
The panzade comment and then kicky's wet thwaaap caused me to almost make a comment about mushrooming which really, REALLY wouldn't have helped. (Blame Slappy.)

In that case I'll MYOB unless I feel like people are being downright rude to her -- but I think it can be instructive for the thread author to see what kind of response something overgeneral and poorly written gets.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 12:33 pm
chuckle
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 12:45 pm
Poor thing is not even aware of what just happened! chuckle x a couple
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 01:03 pm
I'm a snob and when I see a post that has to be deciphered, I just hop on my high horse and gallop on by leaving the illiterates/trendies behind.

The errors that gall my aristocratic sensibilities are the ones in the Subject Lines of the thread--particularly when I see them two or three or four times a day.

Life is not kind to those of us afflicted with quivering sensitivities.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 02:11 pm
UhOh, Noddy. Do you know the etymology of snob? Razz
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 02:12 pm
Laughing is good medicine - I've gotten plenty here today!
You guys cannot be all that serious can you?? Question
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 02:23 pm
It is wierd how many people make mistakes you'd think they're spelling skills would be better you know because they did go to school and what not and took english classes and should know to read and write.

Guess what, asshats? It's spelled W-E-I-R-D! Take your stupid little "I before E" rule and shove it up your mudhut. And "they're" refers to "they are." "Their" signifies possession.

And that ends class for the day, retards.

I like people. I really do.

But on a cereal note, someone told me spelling ability doesn't follow along with intelligence...spelling is more of a visual thing, meaning you remember how the word looks when spelled correctly. Thoughts?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 02:37 pm
Cerial Slappy.

That's a bit creepy.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 02:54 pm
Letty--

Dare I ask about the linguistic roots of "snob"?

Yes, I dare.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 03:08 pm
I don't mind when I'm corrected. English isn't my native
tongue, so I'm always second guessing myself anyway.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 03:19 pm
Wow! C.J. You mean that your native language is German? Shocked

Noddy, originally, snob came from sine noblesse meaning without rank. The Romans gave that term to the aspiring middle class. I know that to be true, but the only thing that I could find on the web had to do with the lower class. I'll check again.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 03:22 pm
Yes Miss Letty! German is my first language. Why does
this shock you?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 03:24 pm
Yes, C.J. it does. Fantastic!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 03:29 pm
Hey, Noddy. This is all that I could find to substantiate my claim:

snob
1781, "a shoemaker, a shoemaker's apprentice," of unknown origin. It came to be used in Cambridge University slang c.1796 for "townsman, local merchant," and by 1831 it was being used for "person of the ordinary or lower classes." Meaning "person who vulgarly apes his social superiors" arose 1843, popularized 1848 by William Thackeray's "Book of Snobs." The meaning later broadened to include those who insist on their gentility, in addition to those who merely aspire to it, and by 1911 had its main modern sense of "one who despises those considered inferior in rank, attainment, or taste."
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/07/2024 at 11:36:11