realjohnboy's Obituary -- RIP

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2020 06:00 am
This is Jim, realjohnboy's younger brother. I am aware that he been inactive on your forum since sometime in 2019.

John was found deceased in his Charlottesville cottage, the Friday before last. His health had declined in the last few years, following a fall and a stroke, which I believe that many of you read about here.

I know that, when he was still able to keep up with A2k, he highly enjoyed your group, and referred to you all as his "computer buddies". He may even have traveled to an in-person meeting once? I don't remember any details.

Not sure if the rules allow for the use of full names here, in the case of a death, but below is John's obituary. If the moderator(s) need to edit out personal identifying information, please feel free to do so.

realjohnboy has a Facebook page, under "John Allan Bartelt Memorial Page", on which you are welcome to post any public remembrances.

Regards to you all, and be well.

----------------------------------------------------

John Allan Bartelt passed away suddenly at his Albemarle County home on June 26, 2020.

John was born in Washington, DC on May 31, 1946 and graduated from Lane High School in 1964, where he was president of the Band and played Percussion under renowned director Mr. Sharon Hoose. He completed a Bachelor's in Accounting at William and Mary in 1968, gained his CPA license, and worked for (now) KPMG in their Atlanta office, where his bachelor apartment neighbor was debut NBA star “Pistol Pete” Maravich of the Hawks.

John was drafted and served with the Army's 101st Airborne Division near Hue, South Vietnam and earned the Bronze Star and Army Commendation Medals.

He then spent several years traveling and working throughout Europe and Africa, where he formed many interesting multinational friendships and experiences. Returning to Charlottesville in 1974, he earned an MBA from U.Va.'s Darden School and occupied subsequent decades as an owner and principal of Sycamore House/Studio Art Shop, a longtime fixture on West Main Street. With his late father and mother, he presided over a period of dramatic growth in that business, comprising numerous successful expansions, remodelings, and the opening of branch stores in Harrisonburg and Winchester.

Johnny enjoyed music and community theatre, participating over the years with the Charlottesville Municipal Band, Four County Players, and ACT I. He loved tennis and handball, his dogs, online conversations about economics, politics, climate, and NFL football, and was active in property development near the University and along Rio Road West.

John Bartelt was preceded in death by his parents, Allan and Rita, and his older brother Richard. Survivors include his younger brother Jim of San Antonio, Texas, whom he inspired toward a professional career in Percussion; sister-in-law Alice Bartelt of Portland, Oregon; nieces Barbara Damon (Greg) and Sandy Meyers (Daryle) of Oregon and California respectively; nephew Christopher Bartelt of Albuquerque, New Mexico; and grand-nephews Hayden and Scott Meyers of California.

A canopied gathering of remembrance, including light snacks, will be held under John’s beloved giant oak trees at 590 Rio Road West (Charlottesville), on Sunday July 12th, with open arrival between 4 and 6 pm. The event will be small, informal, and socially-distanced, with a short online greeting at 4 pm via Facebook Live, on the John Allan Bartelt Memorial page.

Memorial gifts may be sent to the John Allan Bartelt Trust at Charlottesville Area Community Foundation, www.cacfonline.org.

Teague Funeral Service has charge of arrangements. Condolences may be sent to the family at www.teaguefuneralservice.com.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 19 • Views: 2,853 • Replies: 23

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2020 06:20 am
May he rest in peace. He was one of the good guys in life.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2020 06:22 am
@realjohnboy,

sorry for your loss, Jim... condolences.

thank you for letting us know of RJB's passing...

RIP
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2020 06:27 am
@realjohnboy,
My condolences to you and your family. I think the write-up is some of the finest and well thought out writing I’ve seen in a long time. You did a wonderful job.

May he Rest In Peace.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2020 06:40 am
@realjohnboy,
Of course we don't mind, Jim. Thank you so much for sharing the details. My husband (he goes by Region Philbis) and I met him several years ago in Boston for a gathering. It was maybe 2008 or 2009? Something like that.

I remember him being sweet and funny and smiling a lot. He was smart and wrote so well, always gentlemanly even when he disagreed. He will be missed.

Our condolences to you and yours.

FYI: https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/charlottesville-va/john-bartelt-9246785
https://www.dailyprogress.com/obituaries/bartelt-john-allan/article_be9b4503-251c-560c-bb20-2b30efb0275f.html
George

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2020 06:58 am
I was also at the that Boston gathering. I had the pleasure of driving him
there. John was the founder of the long-running A2K NFL Pick-um Game
and the author of a steady stream of funny commentary and good-natured
trash talk there.

Rest in peace, my friend.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2020 07:24 am
@jespah,
Thank you, jespah.

Yes, I remember it now -- Boston.

John had literally not traveled ANYWHERE outside Charlottesville in over 30 years, but did so three times in the 2000s -- Boston, our brother's funeral in Oregon, and to a bit of a family reunion held in San Antonio around the same time.

I truly appreciate the thoughts from all of you.

Jim
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2020 07:29 am
John was one of my favorite characters on A2K. We mutually enjoyed a good-natured ribbing of one another, from time to time, usually involving fantasy baseball or football, in which we both participated on A2K for the last 15 years or so. I never met him in person, but was able to chat with him on the telephone on one occasion. As Edgar said, he was one of the good guys.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2020 07:32 am
This is sad. I believe John also came to our first Chicago gathering and I visited him twice at his Charlottesville store when I traveled there. He was a kind, thoughtful man. My condolences on your loss, Jim. May he rest in peace.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2020 07:59 am
@JPB,
Boston and Chicago.

Yes, I recall seeing most of your online names.

Jim
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2020 08:09 am
I'm sad to read this. I've met John in Chicago as well. (I think, he told me that he had the idea to fly to Germany .)

John was an amazing and unique person, I'm thankful to have met him.
Rest in peace, John!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2020 08:45 am
@realjohnboy,
John was also in Albuquerque, maybe a decade ago. It was a pleasure meeting him.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2020 08:48 am
John and I were pretty good friends on a2k as we shared some common distinctions.
We both grew up in the Wash DC area and attended UVA in Charlottesville.
We started the NFL Pick Um game on a2k and a thread on each hurricane season.
What a great sense of humor he .had
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2020 09:50 am
@realjohnboy,
John was a great sports fan that made many years of watching sports more fun. He always seemed to be quick with a joke and easy to get along with.

I will miss him.

RIP Johnny
Joeblow

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2020 09:57 am
@realjohnboy,
Your brother was alway such a thoughtful member here, Jim. He was funny, well informed, and well considered. He will be missed.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2020 10:54 am
Very sad news.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2020 01:44 pm
RIP realjohnboy.

This was wonderful for Jim to write to us about it. We've had several people who just disappeared...and we've not been able to determine what has happened.

I was thinking of Spendius just a few days ago...and wondering what happened to him.
farmerman

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2020 03:25 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I cant add anything to whats been said. I recall once we tried to get together In Bltimore or Philly but something prevented him from making it .
Like so many, I never met him in person but always found his wit and warmth severely "catching"

My sincere condolences.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2020 03:00 am
@realjohnboy,
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us this sad news

He is missed
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2020 10:25 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
John was a great sports fan that made many years of watching sports more fun. He always seemed to be quick with a joke and easy to get along with.

I will miss him.

RIP Johnny

Ditto.

1. Forums
  2. » realjohnboy's Obituary -- RIP
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 11:36:02