Rantings of a mulch snob and other issues of bad taste.

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 08:02 pm
At the risk of hurting other people's feeling I am going to state that I consider the use of bright red mulch tacky. Unless you are selling hamburgers or pumping gas, no landscape should contain it. White rocks (or pebbles) are a close second. If a client requests that I use either I tell them I am booked for the season. I would rather wear a lime green polyester pants suit than throw down dyed red mulch on my gardens. I am a professional, I am allowed to whine about this issue. Thank you for hearing me out.

Anyone else have a tacky or bad taste pet peeve?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,266 • Replies: 48
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 08:05 pm
I'm right there with ya! When I redid the plantings on my apartment's property this spring, one of the land owners asked for the dark red cedar mulch at the nursery we bought our plants at. This was NOT the dyed orage stuff (shudder), but still I wanted to go with the more subtle pine/spruce mulch because the bed was shady and we were putting in deep dark evergreens. She finally agreed and told me weeks later that it had been a wise decision.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 08:08 pm
I'm with ya on red mulch.

I have a fierce aversion to lawns, or anything that needs watering. I'm a definite snob in that area. Annuals <sniff>.

Native perennials, as much as is practicable/affordable, are preferred, thank you very much. Peonies, lilacs and hollyhocks are my huuuuuuge <sentimental> exceptions to that rule.

Urns. Unless you live in Virginia, Maryland or Delaware.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 08:08 pm
How about that funky, foul-smelling coconut crap that people use?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 08:09 pm
Hmmm, gus, do you mean those little bits of dark husks?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 08:12 pm
Yeah, that stuff.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 08:13 pm
I like the way it looks, know it doesn't stick around in a good breeze - but, I didn't know it smelled badly.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 08:15 pm
LittleK may be thinking of buckwheat hulls. They are small, the size of a hollyhock seed. Gus might be thinking of the shredded coconut hulls that compost slowly and get a mildew odor.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 08:16 pm
Ah, that'd make sense!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 08:17 pm
They seem to be good for only one season, GW. The smell at first is overpowering, it eventually fades, then the damn stuff disappears. Thankfully.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 08:19 pm
Yup, fast compost once it get wet. Not worth the money.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 10:09 pm
You can get coconut hull mulch near your swamp, Gus? That must mean you're in at least a subtropical location. Hmm. Aren't those overalls a bit heavy for the weather?

<trying to figure out where Gus is>
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:35 am
Anything that is not natural - especially some of the "art" that people put in their yards. Now hopefully (besides perhaps Gus) none of you like this stuff. Those shadows - you know them they are like black tin stuff that supposed to look like a shadow. I think one of the more popular ones is the cowboy leaning against a tree with a butt hanging out of his mouth. Now why in the world do people put stuff like that out on their lawns?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 02:02 pm
I agree Linkat - there was a plague of those cowboys in my area about 5 years ago. My neighborhood is actually on the upswing taste wise as more gay male couples buy up the real estate (they tell me the Catskills is the new Hamptons). The cowboys have been traded in for classic urns over flowing with unusual annuals.

One of my neighbors has a gnome that is going pee pee in her flower bed. I can never decide if it is kitschy (sp?) enough to be OK or if I should steal it one night and bury it in a field.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 02:10 pm
I suggest burial in a shallow grave ASAP...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 02:40 pm
Get rid of the gnome!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 02:41 pm
Personally, I would not want anything peeing in my yard - alive or otherwise.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 02:47 pm
Linkat wrote:
Now hopefully (besides perhaps Gus) none of you like this stuff. Those shadows - you know them they are like black tin stuff that supposed to look like a shadow.

like a silhouette perhaps?

http://able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=465499#465499

Shocked
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 03:14 pm
Not sure if it is the same. Just a coincidence that I mentioned Gus and he posted something that sounds similar.

Here is the cowboy:

http://www.woodcraftplans.com/Woodworking_Project_Plan_Full_/Yard_Shadow_Silhouettes/cwslim.jpg
0 Replies

Rose

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 07:36 pm
Interesting topic, Green Witch

My peeve is artificial "life" on a lawn, such as your 'gnome thing'.
Especially Pink flamingoes (deliver me) artificial dogs/rabbits/ little farmer people etc. and for sure, those that are painted.

Occasionally, I see a stone statue, or masonry depiction that looks ok, but mostly they are very tacky in a lawn setting. I do not even like 'gazing balls'. UGH.
0 Replies