Bologna sandwiches and tomato soup?

jcboy

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 03:49 pm
One of Antonio’s friends told him his mother makes him a bologna sandwich and tomato soup for lunch so of course he wanted to try it. I don’t buy canned soup so I searched for a recipe to make my own.

But really a bologna sandwich?

Quote:
Like hot dogs and SPAM, bologna is often regarded as something of a mystery meat. Regardless of your feelings about this much-maligned cold cut, bologna is a familiar presence in supermarkets, school cafeterias, and maybe even your own fridge. But what exactly is it?
Similar to the a handful of other curious foods, the answer really depends on the deli or manufacturer. The meat can be made from cured beef, chicken, or pork—or some combination of the three. Some varieties are made from premium cuts of meat, while others are made from ground-up organs, trimmings, and other unmentionables. However, products containing the latter are usually labeled as having "byproducts" or "variety meats," and they're (thankfully) hard to find in grocery stores nowadays, according to The Takeout.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 21 • Views: 2,067 • Replies: 36

Linkat

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 03:55 pm
@jcboy,
Sounds like it is comes from someone without much money. Cheap lunch ... so it is either the mom can’t afford much or at one time when he was they could not so he had it growing up and now it is comfort food.

I remember eating bologna sandwiches when I was young. Tomato soup too but I haven’t eaten either in decades.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 04:19 pm
@jcboy,
If you don't want to get the archetype bologna why not get a higher quality German bologna from a reputable deli in lieu of that obvious Oscar Mayer garbage or something cheaper?

Quote:
But really a bologna sandwich?

This comes from the same lazy argument against hot dogs as if there isn't a super huge spectrum of quality in hot dogs. Of course, like higher quality hot dogs, you're going to pay a much higher per-serving price. But isn't "all things in moderation" still a valid dietary and financial reasoning to splurge once and awhile?
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 04:30 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
I remember eating bologna sandwiches when I was young.
yup... brown bag school lunch.
baloney on wonder bread... with mayo.
from age five to seven, roughly...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 04:35 pm
I guess coming from humble beginnings, and also having lived as a homeless person for almost a year - maybe these things make my attitude about things like cheap foods a little more forgiving.

I cringe when someone calls food that is less than gourmand-level "garbage".
I can afford better now, but I still wouldn't turn my nose up at a bologna sandwich with lettuce tomato and mayo on white bread. Or a good hot bowl of canned tomato soup. I hate snobs - food snobs too.

America's hunters hunt on full stomachs, with fancy hunting gear and high powered rifles, and call it "sport". Americans waste about a pound of food per person per day, with those who eat the healthiest wasting the most.

Damn, did I write all that out? I badly digress.

Yeah - German, butcher shop bologna is definitely better tasting. And I bet if you make tomato soup from scratch, that's a lot better too. Get the good stuff, if you can... absolutely.

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 04:52 pm
Bologna sausage originated in Italy, and is named after the city it comes from. I'm sure they have some high quality product there. You can find high quality product here as well.

A bologna sandwich is a simple pleasure in life.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 04:55 pm
@snood,
I won't turn down a free Oscar Mayer bologna sammich but I wouldn' go out of my way to buy a large pack of the meat. I would be in a far worse economic position if I had to buy that kind of cheap luncheon meat.

Admittedly, garbage is a bit of hyperbole to put the deli German bologna in proper perspective on the spectrum of lunch meats.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 05:23 pm
@Linkat,
It never occurred to me they didn’t have much money considering where they live but like most people that live in expensive homes in Orange County live beyond their means are in debt. .

I followed this recipe for the tomato soup, easy to make and very tasty.

Classic Tomato Soup Recipe

Quote:
1 Tbs. unsalted butter
1 large white onion, finely chopped
1 large clove garlic, smashed and peeled
2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
3 cups lower-salt chicken broth
28-oz. can whole peeled plum tomatoes, puréed (include the juice)
1-1/2 tsp. sugar
1 sprig fresh thyme
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbs. thinly sliced fresh basil, chives, or dill, or a mixture of all three (omit if using one of the garnishes below)
Joeblow

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 05:37 pm
@jcboy,
Yum! The soup sounds like the star. Grilled cheese, please.

Growing up, we used to eat thick cut fried bologna sandwiches with mustard. Really, so good.
Linkat

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 05:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

If you don't want to get the archetype bologna why not get a higher quality German bologna from a reputable deli in lieu of that obvious Oscar Mayer garbage or something cheaper?

Great point I did this when my daughter (after being at my parents house) asked me to get bologna when she was young and also the few times we get hot dogs we get the best quality at the butchers deli.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 06:36 pm
@jcboy,
We've been looking for a tomato soup recipe, thanks!
0 Replies

knaivete

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 07:23 pm
To save time just smear the baloney with tomato ketchup and roll it up.

0 Replies

NealNealNeal

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 08:54 pm
@jcboy,
Peanut butter sandwich and ketchup in hot water was a good meal.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 09:50 pm
@snood,
My mother would make us bologna sandwiches with mustard to take to school, and the local deli would wrap fried bologna around a crunchy Kosher hotdog (it was wonderful). She would also make grilled cheese sandwiches and Tomato soup (which we also loved). Every so often mr. g'bag and I have grilled cheese and tomato bisque soup for dinner, but it doesn't take a lot of imagination to jazz up them up a little. Neither one of us is ravenous at dinnertime anymore, so we keep it simple most days and live it up on other days.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 09:58 pm
Tomato soup calls for peanut butter sandwiches. That, or grilled cheese. Both are good for dunking in the soup.
farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 10:37 pm
@roger,
never liked tomato soups , but I do love bean and bacon with tomato chunks . That calls for a Sweet -Lebanon baloney sammich with Ohio Swiss Cheese in thick cut slabs. Horseradish mustard please.
Favorite "Field sammiches" were always shrimp Po Boys or Muffelattas. When I was flying between rigs We had a chopper whose service had neat fridges in their chopper tunnels. So I had maybe two days worth of sammiches that Id have made at a great sammich place in the Quarter. Id always get a couple extra for my geologists stationed on the rigs, and they would have shrimp from "buy boats". These were kind of like the oyter buying boats of the Chesapeake eacept they plied the rig network of the inner Gulf, and were more like 90 foot "grocery stores" . Rig cooks were always gtting people on and off therigs so often they couldnt keep up and the buy boats would have the makings for anything from aNAWLINS feast to an humble chowder .
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2020 02:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

German bologna, never heard of it but will look for it next time I'm at the market Razz
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2020 02:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
I wonder if this stuff is any good? Razz

https://i.ibb.co/V3h0pqH/Screen-Shot-2020-06-30-at-4-55-26-PM.png
snood

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2020 06:02 pm
@jcboy,
Had liverwurst before? Same thing basically.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2020 06:35 pm
@jcboy,
Braunschweiger is a milder and sweeter form of Liverwurst. I really despise Liverwurst, Its very strong and salty, whereas Braunschweiger is livery but has a smoky sweet meaty taste that goes well with onion and mayo on rye or toasted whole wheat.

Rosenfeld's Deli (down In the Delaware Beach area) has several styles of classic liverwurst and/or Braunschweiger sammiches.

1. Forums
  2. » Bologna sandwiches and tomato soup?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/17/2024 at 07:23:53