DACA Wins! SCOTUS defends the Dreamers!

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 09:27 am
The Supreme Court has ended Trumps attempt to end DACA. The Dreamers keep their protection. America is a little better this morning.

For me this is a personal win; someone I care about very much is currently on DACA. This news really makes a difference.

To be honest, I was worried about this one.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/18/829858289/supreme-court-upholds-daca-in-blow-to-trump-administration?utm_term=nprnews&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_source=twitter.com

oralloy

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 04:07 pm
You've received a bit of a reprieve, but they have not ended all attempts to do away with DACA. They've only ended this particular attempt.

I suggest that you would be wise to try to start working with Republicans to try to make a permanent fix to DACA.
BillRM

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 04:53 pm
@oralloy,
Kind of similar to Jews working with the Nazis party.
oralloy

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 04:57 pm
@BillRM,
When DACA is eventually eliminated, you will be as much to blame as Max is.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 05:29 pm
@oralloy,
Polling suggests that 75% of Republicans (and 85% of all Americans) support DACA. I don't mind working with moderate Republicans on this issue.

The crazy right-wing is losing this issue.
oralloy

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 06:14 pm
@maxdancona,
When did you change your mind?

You cheered when Mr. Obama undermined moderate Republican senators who wanted to work with him on immigration reform.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 06:27 pm
@oralloy,
I don't know what your definition of moderate Republicans senator is.

Obviously I have a definite position on this political issue. And so do you.

I thought back then that my side made the correct strategic choice. I still feel that way. Political fights are not balanced, sometimes the political battlefield favors one side or the other. When the political reality favors your side, you don't take a deal without concessions. The Republicans do the same.

On the issue of DACA, there is solid political support across both parties for my side.

We will wait for a deal, a make the Republicans pay politically for stalling it.
oralloy

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 07:57 pm
@maxdancona,
When DACA is destroyed it will be all your fault.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 10:17 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

When DACA is destroyed it will be all your fault.

I single-handedly destroyed Obamacare, abortion rights, and same-sex marriage... I suppose I might as well destroy DACA too.
oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2020 05:43 pm
@maxdancona,
Yes. You might as well.

Trump says he will renew effort to end DACA protections
https://apnews.com/230d0b51f9f27dc072b454a81bf0874a
maxdancona

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2020 05:47 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Yes. You might as well.

Trump says he will renew effort to end DACA protections
https://apnews.com/230d0b51f9f27dc072b454a81bf0874a

Now I am confused... I thought you were saying the president Trump should work together with Democratic senators.
oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2020 05:57 pm
@maxdancona,
President Trump is not the person who is refusing to work with the other side.

You are the person who is refusing to work with the other side.

If Mr. Trump successfully abolishes DACA, it will not be his fault. It will be your fault.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2020 06:20 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
If Mr. Trump successfully abolishes DACA, it will not be his fault. It will be your fault.

I get the principle. If the hostages die it isn't the fault of of the person who killed them. I should have paid the ransom.

If you are going to just let the hostages go when you don't get what you want... then there was no point in taking hostages in the first place.

oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2020 10:07 pm
@maxdancona,
No hostage taking. You turned immigration reform into a weapon to attack Republicans.

The Republicans are perfectly reasonable to try to eliminate DACA in order to protect themselves from these attacks.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2020 06:57 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

No hostage taking. You turned immigration reform into a weapon to attack Republicans.

The Republicans are perfectly reasonable to try to eliminate DACA in order to protect themselves from these attacks.

You are changing your story Oralloy,

A few posts ago, you were saying that Trump was using DACA as a way to get his precious wall. That is called hostage-taking.

oralloy

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2020 02:58 pm
@maxdancona,
That is incorrect. That is called getting things done in Washington.

One side has something they want. And the other side has something that they want too.

Working together, both sides get what they want.

If you refuse to work with the other side, it's your own fault when you don't get what you want.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2020 03:08 pm
@oralloy,
Do you know what Democracy means?

- The majority of Americans (85%) and the majority of Republicans want DACA to succeed.

- The majority of Americans (66%) of American oppose the border wall. Even more American oppose the wall when you ask if Congress should appropriate money for the wall.

The reason that the Democrats have the advantage in both cases is because that is what the American people want. The Republicans are on the losing side of both of these issues... except that many of them don't want to really be seen as opposing DACA because it makes them look like assholes to their own voters.

Voters matter. That is how democracy is supposed to work.

The voters solidly support the Democrats on this issues. That is why they will get what "they want".

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2020 03:11 pm
Basic rule of politics....

You don't have to negotiate with an opponent who is crashing and burning. And if you choose to negotiate anyway, you do so on your terms.
oralloy

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2020 03:16 pm
@maxdancona,
If DACA is eliminated it will be entirely all your fault.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2020 03:46 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

If DACA is eliminated it will be entirely all your fault.

Do I get the same credit if it succeeds?

1. Forums
  2. » DACA Wins! SCOTUS defends the Dreamers!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:25:30