Yes! I am giving hate speech the protection of free speech.

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 11:34 am
I am responding to this on a new thread because it is a tangent... albeit an important one.

Quote:
When you say free speech what you mean is giving hate speech the protection of free speech.

You mean making lies every bit as important as the truth.

It's not free speech in the traditional sense, and you 've already confirmed that your hypothetical loss of being legally allowed to spread hate about minorities means the same as one of their lives.

You don't see their lives as important as your own.

The answer is yes.

There is no way to have free speech with out giving protections to hate speech.

1. Does this mean I will stand up for the free speech right of Nazis? Yes, it does. I believe in free and I have no problem standing up for it. Free speech for Nazis. Free speech for feminists. Free speech for atheists, buddhists, anarchists and philatelists, everyoe.

2. Does this mean sacrificing the lives of minorities? No, it doesn't, in fact historically free speech for unpopular ideas (like freeing slaves or same-sex marriage) has been very good for minorities.

I don't accept the idea that we need to give up one basic human right to defend another.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 242 • Replies: 3
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 12:23 pm
@maxdancona,
Izzy wrote:
Time and time again you’ve been asked to find serious problems with countries that do not allow hate speech to be afforded protection of free speech.

All we’ve had are vague warnings and nothing substantial.

You wish to spread hate and lies and believe there’s something good about that.

If addressing you on this thread. I’m not starting to run around the houses with you.

There are two options.

1. Free speech... where the government allows any speech to take place no matter how offensive or unpopular.

2. Not Free speech... where the government makes a distinction between acceptable speech and unacceptable speech and then regulates or restricts the latter.

Any government can say "you can have free speech as long as we don't think it is offensive". That isn't free speech by definition. Once you start saying "this speech is OK, but this speech is unacceptable" then you have taken away free speech.

The real question Izzy is asking is whether taking away free speech has ever caused harm. Of course, harm is subjective, some people don't think that banning rights for LGBT individuals is harm.

It isn't that long ago in Izzy's country that you couldn't publicly defend the rights of two men or two women to love each other.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 01:55 pm
Would you kindly supply a link to whichever thread you are referencing?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2020 02:02 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Would you kindly supply a link to whichever thread you are referencing?

Sure... it is from the Post-Trump thread.

https://able2know.org/topic/549243-3#post-7024043
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Yes! I am giving hate speech the protection of free speech.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 12:46:07