Scientific American Mind - A magazine I highly recommend.

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 11:08 pm
Have any of you read this magazine before. I find it absolutely fascinating.

Here's an interesting article from there that may pique your interest. It's on lying, why we do it, not just to other but to ourselves. Some brilliant theories they touch on about self deception include the very strong evidence that we are not even aware of most of the thinking we do. Our subconcious brain anaylizes the situation and makes a decision, then sends this decision to our concious brain. So we don't even realize much of the actual thought that goes into making a decision, except for the highlights. This is what allows us to deceive ourselves about things such as how we look and such. And those that are poor at self deception are also very prone to becoming clincally depressed. But this is all just a fraction of the insights this article and magazine provides.

http://www.sciammind.com/article.cfm?articleID=0007B7A0-49D6-128A-89D683414B7F0000
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 862 • Replies: 7
No top replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 12:36 am
thanks for mentioning this publication, one i wasn't aware of previously. however, i'm not overly impressed by the article you provided a link to; it seems like mostly untested conjecture to me, and it only presents one model of deception, based on principles of evolutionary psychology. and while suggesting that self-deception allows humans to deceive others undetected, it also acknowledges the many telltale signs that give away liars, thus weakening its own case.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 03:45 pm
There's plenty of others on the site that aren't so much pop culture science as cutting edge science.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 05:41 am
I checked the link and it's broken down. Site under maintenance it said.

If they can't keep their site going I'm not going to put too much credence in their ideas about what our brains are doing.

It's entertainment.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 06:07 pm
what i'd like to understand is what Centroles was doing in the more than 2 years that elapsed between my comment on his post, and his reply to my comment. Confused
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 06:10 pm
Having a good time if he has any sense.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 06:55 pm
maybe he was traveling near lightspeed & we'll hear from him in another 2+ years.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 02:04 am
This is my most favorite publication in the universe. Devour every issue. Highly recommended.

I was going to post something like this thread soon, too. Thanks Centroles.
0 Replies