'I can't breathe' meme will lead to more deaths

justaguy2

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 04:35 am
@livinglava,
Quote:
You're confused about something I'm saying, because your response is talking about something completely different. You're saying "most live to tell the tale" of being arrested, as if I am talking about lots of being dying by suffocation. I'm not. I'm talking about those few rare instances where someone is in a situation where they really can't breathe and they are asking for mercy from an officer. What you have to understand is that there are people trying police officers all the time because of an anti-authoritarian culture.

Actually I'm not confused about what you're trying to imply at all, and knew exactly what you were implying from the start...

You're basically saying that because of a "protest meme", some police officers are going to assume that anyone who says "I can't breathe" are just "trying it on", and are therefore lying until proven otherwise. At best that link is very tenuous, at worst, that link doesn't exist at all AFAICS. And the same as there has always been people that will flat out lie to the cops, there has also ALWAYS been people that will take advantage of past incidents and "try it on". The same as there as there has ALWAYS been police officers that become jaded and frustrated due to the pressures of the job and assume everyone must be lying to them and "trying it on" - what you're suggesting is no different - as much as you'd like it to be. So for the final time, I disagree, and no amount of bamboozling by yourself, or downvoting of my posts by yourself and you're little gang of trolls is going to change that or anything else.

As far as "anti-authoritarian culture" is concerned; that has always existed in not only your country, but also in mine and many other western countries in some form or another. But yes, you may well have a point that it's become much more prominent since trump's election, driven at least in part by the fact trump himself seems to get along quite well with authoritarian regimes, and acting like a dictator rather than an actual "president" himself.

Quote:
The sad thing is that they're allowing protestors to infect each other with COVID19. You're hurting yourself and each other worse than the police would hurt you.

And the above statement of your's just goes to show how little understanding you have when it come to the "covid crisis" in Australia...

In the state I live in;

- no are no current active covid19 cases left in the state, even with extra testing no new cases were discovered.
- the last active case was someone from the UK I believe that ALREADY HAD covid19 BEFORE they entered the state - the health department "missed" the email alerting them to that according to them.
- unlike your country, government's in Australia didn't play politics with it, and not only done what needed to be done, they treated it as a health issue from the start.
- most restrictions have either been eased or lifted altogether, with more restrictions set to be eased within the next week or so.

...so there was very little risk of protesters "giving each other covid19" to begin with. The same police commissioner has refused the grant another exemption citing "fairness", in that, if others are expected to follow the restrictions, the protesters should as well, and they have made their point loud and clear. He's also threatened to fine or arrest anyone breaking any covid restrictions.

Quote:
I've just read a headline that the two had met each other before. It might turn out that there was some history between them that played some role in what happened. I'm not saying anything about Floyd's situation with this thread, though. What I'm talking about is a meme culture that desensitizes the public and police to a sentence that should not be subject to desensitization in this way, i.e. because someone in the future needs to be able to say that sentence and not just sound like he's reciting a meme to make a political statement.

I also remember reading something about them working security at the same club, but I don't know of any past incidents between them that may have played a role. So I guess we'll have to wait and see if anything comes out about that.

I think you have it the wrong way around in relation to what you say about "desensitization", but again, I don't agree with your view about the subject. But that said, there really is no point in continuing to argue the point with you since clearly no amount of discussion is going to change your mind about the issue.

Quote:
I'm looking at it from the practical point of view of meme culture and the story of the boy who cried wolf. I hope you are familiar with that story where the boy keeps crying that there's a wolf when there's not, and eventually there really is a wolf but no one thinks to take the boy seriously because they are so accustomed to the boy just shouting, "wolf! wolf!" without there actually being a wolf.

No you're not, you're once again looking at it through a political lens, and therefore, and for as long as you do that, you'll be blind to the truth of the matter. You're last statement about the democrats confirms this, so clearly it IS all about politics to you - which is all the more reason why there is really no point in trying the have an objective and honest discussion about it with you. So I'm out, bye.

livinglava

Thu 11 Jun, 2020 06:27 am
@justaguy2,
justaguy2 wrote:

Actually I'm not confused about what you're trying to imply at all, and knew exactly what you were implying from the start...

You're basically saying that because of a "protest meme", some police officers are going to assume that anyone who says "I can't breathe" are just "trying it on", and are therefore lying until proven otherwise. At best that link is very tenuous, at worst, that link doesn't exist at all AFAICS. And the same as there has always been people that will flat out lie to the cops, there has also ALWAYS been people that will take advantage of past incidents and "try it on". The same as there as there has ALWAYS been police officers that become jaded and frustrated due to the pressures of the job and assume everyone must be lying to them and "trying it on" - what you're suggesting is no different - as much as you'd like it to be. So for the final time, I disagree, and no amount of bamboozling by yourself, or downvoting of my posts by yourself and you're little gang of trolls is going to change that or anything else.

How can you say you disagree when you acknowledge that there have always been people "trying on" lies and police who have gotten burned out to the point they miss it when someone is trying to tell the truth? You are proving my point. It seems what you're disagreeing with is your assumption that I am legitimating letting a suspect die because the cop is burned out. That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that it will happen regardless of the fact that it's not legitimate. Basically, burn out is like a mental-health disorder, but not every burned out cop is going to notice in time, the same way not every depressed person notices before they commit suicide.

So all I'm trying to say is that a meme like, "I can't breathe," and the culture of lying to police (or as you say, "trying it on," is going to contribute to police burn out and, as much as we would like to discover burn-out before anything comes of it, that just isn't going to happen in all cases. Also, think about it: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. You are basically legitimating all the "trying it on" that causes police burnout instead of agreeing with me that preventing police burnout would save lives in the long run.

Quote:
As far as "anti-authoritarian culture" is concerned; that has always existed in not only your country, but also in mine and many other western countries in some form or another. But yes, you may well have a point that it's become much more prominent since trump's election, driven at least in part by the fact trump himself seems to get along quite well with authoritarian regimes, and acting like a dictator rather than an actual "president" himself.

I don't think Trump is the cause but rather the provocation. I think there was an authoritarian culture that preceded Trump, and it was the same one that went crazy when George W Bush was in office. It is an authoritarian culture that hates the Republican party because the Republican party interferes with patterns of economics that include crime and other redistribution mechanics that move money around globally, so there are a lot of people that get their toes stepped on when Republicans start cutting certain government programs and increasing law-enforcement for drug offenses that Democrats usually ignore as 'non-violent.'

Quote:
Quote:
The sad thing is that they're allowing protestors to infect each other with COVID19. You're hurting yourself and each other worse than the police would hurt you.

And the above statement of your's just goes to show how little understanding you have when it come to the "covid crisis" in Australia...

In the state I live in;

- no are no current active covid19 cases left in the state, even with extra testing no new cases were discovered.
- the last active case was someone from the UK I believe that ALREADY HAD covid19 BEFORE they entered the state - the health department "missed" the email alerting them to that according to them.
- unlike your country, government's in Australia didn't play politics with it, and not only done what needed to be done, they treated it as a health issue from the start.
- most restrictions have either been eased or lifted altogether, with more restrictions set to be eased within the next week or so.

...so there was very little risk of protesters "giving each other covid19" to begin with. The same police commissioner has refused the grant another exemption citing "fairness", in that, if others are expected to follow the restrictions, the protesters should as well, and they have made their point loud and clear. He's also threatened to fine or arrest anyone breaking any covid restrictions.

I don't understand why you have to put me in conflict with Australia here. It's like you're trying to assert the independent autonomy of Australia with regards to Covid19 in a thread about a meme causing police burnout. If you want to discuss Australian covid19 policies, why not do it in a covid19 thread?

I understand you were responding to what I said about protesters spreading the virus, but you have to admit that generally covid19 has been a global problem, so it doesn't make sense for people to be gathering in crowds when they are supposed to be avoiding social contact as much as possible and social-distancing when they can't avoid it.

Quote:

I also remember reading something about them working security at the same club, but I don't know of any past incidents between them that may have played a role. So I guess we'll have to wait and see if anything comes out about that.

Even if it never comes to light, that doesn't mean it wasn't a factor. Sometimes there are causes for things that we never know about, but that doesn't make them any less causal.

Quote:
I think you have it the wrong way around in relation to what you say about "desensitization", but again, I don't agree with your view about the subject. But that said, there really is no point in continuing to argue the point with you since clearly no amount of discussion is going to change your mind about the issue.

What? You think that if "I can't breathe" keeps being said as a political meme that it will cause police to take it more seriously when a suspect says it? I think that will happen at first, but as time goes on I think they will get numb to it and it will even cause annoyance because they get so used to hearing punks saying it as part of overall aggressive/defiant behavior done for the sake of provoking the officers. You see, there's a difference between when someone just naturally behaves in an annoying way and when they are doing it intentionally as part of a hostile/aggressive attitude. When it's natural, it's not that hard to deal with; but when it's intentional, it's the aggression/hostility that dominates your awareness.

Quote:
Quote:
I'm looking at it from the practical point of view of meme culture and the story of the boy who cried wolf. I hope you are familiar with that story where the boy keeps crying that there's a wolf when there's not, and eventually there really is a wolf but no one thinks to take the boy seriously because they are so accustomed to the boy just shouting, "wolf! wolf!" without there actually being a wolf.

No you're not, you're once again looking at it through a political lens, and therefore, and for as long as you do that, you'll be blind to the truth of the matter. You're last statement about the democrats confirms this, so clearly it IS all about politics to you - which is all the more reason why there is really no point in trying the have an objective and honest discussion about it with you. So I'm out, bye.

You don't understand that I can have both a political POV and a practical POV and that they are separate. In short, I don't have to be a Democrat to care about preventing people/suspects from dying unnecessarily.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 11:20:58