Quarantine the baddies.

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2020 03:20 pm
Had a conversation with my brother-in-law just now, and he was proposing an idea that may have some merit.

Each of the police forces knows who the baddies are...who the guys prone to using too much force too quickly.

Maybe the thing to do is to just get those people out of the picture. Firing them is difficult...but isolating them to **** jobs might be the way to go. Filing in dark basements can do a lot to improve conduct.

Not an easy thing to do at all.But it may be a way to get the ones who seem to delight in using unnecessary force out of the picture.

The cops who are not unnecessarily violent have a vested interest in getting them out. There are three cops who have been fired because they did not want to intrude on what a fellow cop was doing.

The cops who know who the true psychos are...could help to marginalize them.

mesquite

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2020 04:28 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
There are three cops who have been fired because they did not want to intrude on what a fellow cop was doing.

In one of the videos (admittedly of poor quality) it appeared that two of them were actively participating with their knees on him.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 05:41 am
@mesquite,
Whether they participated or not is still in question.

But they did not do what they should have done.

Getting rid of the baddies may be a good way to handle this.

What we cannot do is what we have been doing for decades: We cannot just kick the can down the street and pretend we are going to something about it at some point.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 05:57 am
@Frank Apisa,
They didn’t stop their colleague from killing an unarmed man who was pleading for his life. That makes them complicit.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 06:36 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

They didn’t stop their colleague from killing an unarmed man who was pleading for his life. That makes them complicit.

That's what I said, Izzy.

And that is one of the reasons many cops will endorse the idea of getting the baddies off the street, because they do not want to be put in the position of having to argue with a fellow officer.

I wish everyone had the spine to do that, but your career and job may be on the line if you do.
hightor

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 06:56 am
Might be a good time to watch Serpico again.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 07:29 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Might be a good time to watch Serpico again.

Very true. Some of the people being too strong about what "the others" should have done, might learn some lessons from that movie.

(I've been mistaken twice in NYC for Serpico...once by a NY police lieutenant. I corrected things as quickly as I could.)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 07:48 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I wish everyone had the spine to do that, but your career and job may be on the line if you do.

They’ve lost their jobs, and that might not be the end of it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2020 07:51 am
@Frank Apisa,
I have not workl in police work at all so it is hard to know what can and cannot be done, but it seems that the cultural has to change.

If you change the cultural like you note below then I could see some potential.

Now I don't know if this is true or not - but it seems that police almost have a brotherhood (and/or sisterhood). Understandable from the danger of their job. My husband who was in the Marines - that is what is like - you have each others back. So are they protecting those officers that are "baddies" because of this brotherhood? Is it you protect a fellow officer no matter what? So the cultural is such if you stop/report a baddie you are looked at poorly?

Assuming the above is true - I wonder if this brotherhood of having each others back has to change a little - like you refer to - the "baddies" are not really brothers or sisters - so you should not have their backs. You need to have the backs of only those that are true brothers/sisters and those that are officers that are in it to truly serve and protect. You protect your true brothers and sisters not those that are hurting the brotherhood and society.

But like I said I do not work in police work nor have any close that does - so I cannot say.

But I see what you are saying and yes if it is true then certainly that would help.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Quarantine the baddies.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 02:12:34