Allons enfants de la patrie . . .

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 04:01 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Chirac.....dont get me started on him!

Well, we've learnt by now that the French problems with NATO started with haggis, the only thing the English have ever done for European agriculture is mad cow ... "You can't trust people who cook as badly as that." :wink:
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 04:03 pm
As I am in England at the moment, (at the Trafalgar celebrations) Festival of the sea.
I have the following advisory for travelers heading for France, which was compiled from information provided by the U.S. State Department, the Central Intelligence Agency, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the Food and Drug Administration, the Center for Disease Control and some very expensive spy satellites that the French don't know about.

It is intended as a guide for travelers only and no guarantee of accuracy is ensured or intended. :wink:

General Overview

France is a medium-sized foreign country situated on the continent of Europe, and is for all intent and purposes freekin useless.

It is an important member of the world community, although not nearly as important as it thinks. It is bounded by Germany, Spain, Switzerland and some smaller nations of no particular consequence or shopping opportunities.

France is a very old country with many treasures such as the Louvre and EuroDisney. Among its contributions to Western civilization are champagne, Camembert cheese, and the guillotine.

One continuing exasperation for English speaking visitors is that the people willfully persist in speaking French, although many will speak English if shouted at repeatedly. Generally they profess a lack of understanding if you try to speak French to them.

The People

France has a population of 54 million people, most of whom drink and smoke a great deal, drive like lunatics, are dangerously over sexed and have no concept of standing patiently in a line.

The French people are generally gloomy, temperamental, proud, arrogant, aloof and undisciplined; those are their good points. Most French citizens are Roman Catholic, although you'd hardly guess it from their behavior. Many people are Communists and topless sunbathing is common.

Men sometimes have girls' names like Marie and Francis, they kiss each other when they hand out medals. All French women don't shave their armpits or their legs.

Safety

In general, France is a safe destination, although travelers are advised that France is occasionally invaded by Germany.

By tradition, the French surrender more or less at once and, apart from a temporary shortage of Scotch whisky and increased difficulty in getting baseball scores and stock market prices, life for the visitors generally goes on much as before.

A tunnel connecting France to Britain beneath the English Channel has been opened in recent years to make it easier for the French government to flee to London.

Government

The French form of government is democratic but noisy. Elections are held more or less continuously and always result in a runoff. For administrative purposes, the country is divided into regions, departments, districts, municipalities, cantons, communes, villages, cafes, booths and floor tiles.

Parliament consists of two chambers, the Upper and Lower (although, confusingly, they are both on the ground floor), whose members are either Gaullists or communists, neither of whom can be trusted.

Parliament's principal pre occupations are setting off atomic bombs in the South Pacific and acting indignant when anyone complains. According to the most current State Department intelligence, the current President is someone named Jacques. Further information is not available at this time.

Culture

The French pride themselves on their culture, although it is not easy to see why. All of their songs sound the same and they have hardly ever made a movie that you want to watch for anything except the nude scenes.

Cuisine

Let's face it, no matter how much garlic you put on it, a snail is just a slug with a shell on its back. Croissants, on the other hand, are excellent although it is impossible for most non french to pronounce this word.

American travelers are therefore advised to stick to cheeseburgers at McDonald's or the restaurants at the leading hotels such as Sheraton or Holiday Inn. Bring your own beer, as the domestic varieties are nothing but a poor excuse for such.

Economy

France has a large and diversified economy, second only to Germany's economy in Europe, which is surprising since people hardly ever work at all. If they are not spending four hours dawdling over lunch, they are on strike and blocking the roads with their trucks and tractors.

France's principal exports, in order of importance to the economy, are wine, nuclear weapons, perfume, guided missiles, champagne, high-caliber weaponry, grenade launchers, land mines, tanks, attack aircraft, miscellaneous armaments and cheese.

Conclusion

France enjoys a rich history, a picturesque and varied landscape and a temperate climate. In short, it would be a very nice country if French people didn't inhabit it, and it weren't still radioactive from all the nuclear tests they run.

Oh! and they just voted out the European constitution. The best thing that can be said for it is, that it is not Spain.

I hope this objective and impartial view will set the record straight. Viva Nelson. Laughing
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 04:09 pm
If it weren't for our French allies, all of us 'murkins would be speakin' English by now.

<now where did I leave my cheeseburger?>
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 04:10 pm
As a true Brit, I am thoroughly disgusted by the comments in the previous post by tryagain.

< chortle >
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 04:21 pm
dlowan wrote:

'Tweren't you, Ellpus - I spent a coupla years wiv the fella after that....

No, Silly! I didnt mean that I had carnival relations.

You see, I was at this Bastille party...blind drunk....then staggered off and crashed out on the floor in some god forsaken bedroom that was full with Quantas luggage.
Hotel just around the corner from L'arc de Triomphe, if I remember.

Suddenly, the door burst open and ..............
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 04:22 pm
Well, where is dys? He's the one who needs bashing so he ought to join the party.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 04:24 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Chirac.....dont get me started on him!

Well, we've learnt by now that the French problems with NATO started with haggis, the only thing the English have ever done for European agriculture is mad cow ... "You can't trust people who cook as badly as that." :wink:

Mad Cow? You leave Maggie Thatcher out of this.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 04:25 pm
Bonjour!

Ou sont les garcons?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 04:25 pm
I'll tell ya Lord Facetious is on a roll today . . . hotter'n a two dollar pistol . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 04:27 pm
OOOOOH Voila c'est ^ un garcon!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:04 pm
Salut, la Belle Fille, qu'est-ce que tu fait ce soir?

Tu es libre, pour faire . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:10 pm
Je cherch un garcon sans pantalons Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:11 pm
Bah . . . incroyable . . . c'est moi ! ! !
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:11 pm
Francis wrote:
Ma française elle est pas très bien non plus, littleK! :wink:

Mais, oui!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:15 pm
ah, we chased Francis off. but, it is midnight in his garden of good and evil. As for ellpus' greyhound.

Skinny little buggers. I'd rather have a whippet.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:24 pm
In Francis' garden of good and evil, would one find les fleurs du mal?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:32 pm
deadly night shade and foxglove, Setanta, but carefully interspersed with lavender and butterflys.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:33 pm
Do you know the poetic reference there, Miss Lettybettyhettygettymarycustislee?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:41 pm
and which reference would that be, ars poetica?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:47 pm
Les Fleurs du mal, Charles Beaudelaire
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 04:13:34