Allons enfants de la patrie . . .

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 09:02 am
Well, we've done Canada Day and the Fourth of July, let's get a good running start, and warm up for Bastille Day.

All the right wingnuts can come along and do their French-bashing worst and get it over with.

And the Sassenach can throw in their bit of "Froggie" slighting as well . . .

À tous nos amis français, je vous assure de mes sentiments les plus respectueux . . .
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,819 • Replies: 218
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 09:06 am
I have long had a thing for the French, because many of my favorite writers and some performers were expatriates there during the 20th Century. Aside from that, I think they are just people, same as anywhere.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 09:09 am
"I think they are just people, same as anywhere."
oh come on Edgar, you cant possibly mean that. Cant you try to be just a little bit controversial?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 09:11 am
Well, they do talk kind of funny. I can't twist my tongue around the sounds they make.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 09:21 am
just go here Edgar, sure they can help.

http://www.consulfrance-houston.org/
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 09:40 am
Meanwhile back in England, patriotism or any form of outward nationalistic display is illegal.

There is no national English day. Nor British Day. Patron Saint St George has been hijacked by the fascists. We cant admit to be proud English for fear of upsetting the Scots Welsh or Irish. The national anthem is a homage to a German family who got the throne because there was no one else. We want Jerusalem (blake] as our anthem, but it doesnt mention the aforementioned other countries. So it wont do. Trafalgar day is far too provocative. Same with Culloden day or Oliver Cromwell Day. They celebrate English Martyrs day (Pope burning] in Lewes. But the Italians and the RCs dont approve.

We have to make do with being honorary Jock Taff or Paddy on their respective days. However as being Jock Taff or Paddy is defined these days as specifically not English, that s difficult.

And you know what. I'm pleased. Patriotism, the last refuge of a scoundrel.

I am a citizen of the world. Born in Manchester England, and quite content with that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 10:53 am
Manchester, England, England
Across the Atlantic Sea
And I'm a genius, genius,
And I believe in God
And I believe that God
Believes in Claude,
That's me
That's me . . .
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 11:08 am
What about Guy Fawkes day Steve? We had quite a big celebration in the little village I live in last November. Big bonfires and fireworks and many figures burned in effigy while people ate hamburgers and drank beer. I enjoyed it - it was such a different experience watching fireworks on a cold, crisp autumn night instead of a warm, summer night - gave the whole experience kind of an interesting and really pleasant twist.
I was surprised at how subdued St. Patrick's day was over here compared to the massive parties that accompany it in the US. But I guess there's definitely more Irish pride in the US (especially recently as it's become more in vogue somehow to be Irish there) than here in England.
For Bastille Day - I"ll be in France with an American friend who is celebrating his birthday that day as well. He went to school in France when he was growing up and says he goes back every summer for his birthday - just because it is such a huge celebration and he always pretends it's all for him. I'm looking forward to experiencing it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 11:09 am
Just me and a friend roamin' around
Him a magician I was a clown
Playin' the streets for a dollar a day
Waitin' for the right time and a sign to lead the way
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 11:20 am
Oh yeah Edgar - and French, when spoken correctly - is the most beautiful language, in my opinion. It is my aspiration to be able speak it fluently without feeling I am murdering it- maybe someday.

But as Steve said - when you live over here - in such close proximity to Europe -you are able to feel so much more a citizen of the world (or at least I do) and it's a nice feeling. I love being able to experience all of these varying cultural mores - gives one a totally different context.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 11:26 am
At about age eighteen I bought a record set with books to help me speak French. I had a hell of a time just remembering things and my brother told me that when I spoke to mimic the recording, there was no resemblance at all. Discouraged, I opted to remain mono lingual.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 02:13 pm
cultural mores eh aidan

you mean like given a beer or two we all kick the cr** out of each other Smile
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 02:14 pm
Edgar

Things have moved on

find the switch marked Stereo

and try 45 rpm
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 02:21 pm
Still waiting for the bashing, Set...
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 02:24 pm
Set is far too gentlemanly to bash anyone Francis

especially our friends on this their special Bastille minus 10 day
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 02:24 pm
Francis, relax - Set is a francophile!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 02:25 pm
I guess them conservative types is all out eating hot dogs, spare ribes, corn on the cob, and thoughtlessly handing out powerful fire works to small children. We better give 'em a chance to come up to speed.

J'espère que tout va de plus en plus bien chez cette république si cher à l'histoire du monde . . .
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 02:26 pm
No, Steve, it's not from Set I'm expecting the bashing but he started this thread for me...

Seems we are not having success...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 02:26 pm
Moi, ausiie, j'adore france. Mais, ma francaise is tres mal pace que je ne l'utilise.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 02:29 pm
Ma française elle est pas très bien non plus, littleK! :wink:
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Allons enfants de la patrie . . .
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 06:23:33