One Two Three Four... I declare a thumb war.

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 09:01 pm
I am going on an upthumb spree. A positive spree. Any post I see that has a thumb rating of less than 1 gets an upthumb from me.

Why is such a positive, affirming and kind measure necessary?

There is a group of people who are down thumbing innocuous posts as a group. This is a violation of the TOS... and you can tell this is happening as a group because.

1. Completely inoffensive posts are being thumbed out of visibility.
2. The down thumbs are given based on animus against a person, rather than on content. I have experimented with this... it is easy to prove.
3. There are a lot of posts with scores of -6 to -9. There are far fewer posts with scores of -1 to -5. This suggests an intentional effort to knock out posts, users.

This downthumbing hurts us as a community. It matters because it collapses posts. It discourages discussion. It is just nasty. Who wants to see a page of posts that are all hidden? And it makes things worse. If you post gets downthumbed into invisibility you will post your idea again. It blows up arguments into endless posts.

The solution is easy. Every post gets an upthumb (with very few exceptions for actually racism or personal attacks). I will upthumb conservatives. I will upthumb liberals. I will upthumb people I disagree with. I will upthumb people I think are being silly. I will upthumb animal lovers, games enthusiasts and even people posting bad science.

Let's fight back against the nastiness with something positive. Thumbs up for a diversity of opinion and for becoming a more welcoming community.

Whis is with me?

neptuneblue

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 10:30 pm
@maxdancona,
Take your thumb anywhere you please.

I'll do the same. Although I'll be a little bit more choosy about what constitutes a "welcoming" opinion.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 10:41 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Why is...necessary?

It's not.
Sure, a long while back, it mildly concerned me when a post of mine would be thumbed off into oblivion. There was even, if I remember correctly, a thread begun by me about it. Eventually,it registered in my insanely brilliant mind, that the entire thing is only of as much value as certain vainglorious dullards desired it to be. Whether it was/is an up-thumb or a down-drop thumb.

...and to show how magnificently and magnanimously kind I am, just today I up-thumbed 2 of your posts. Of course, that still left them in the hole by 11 thumbs. But I tried.

In the words of Sean Connery...or maybe Alan Hale (Sr. or Jr., your option), 'Is a seven truly a seven if it's upside down?'.

(although that may not be eligible for entry into your ideological "bubble")

So, in an innocuous closing maximillius, Let it go!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 10:49 pm
One thumb two thumb red thumb blue thumb
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 11:01 pm
I am mounting a little rebellion. If it is just me thumbing up everyone... then so be it.

But I don't think I am the only one feeling this way. Join me in up thumb rebellion if you want. If not, that's fine too.
neptuneblue

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 11:16 pm
@maxdancona,
That's ok, use your thumb.

I'll use a middle finger and wave it at all those posts that I deem necessary.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 May, 2020 10:56 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

There is a group of people who are down thumbing innocuous posts as a group.

I don’t know about anyone else but I’ve only got one thumb and I’ve not spoken to anyone else about thumbing.

I did notice that when Freedomilove started posting his posts automatically attracted a +5 or 6 as did his fellow travellers, while every opposing post was voted right down.

That tends to be the case when I come on in the morning.

Clearly something was going on because it’s quite strange that someone who has been away for so long would suddenly attract such a high vote.

I think people responded accordingly, not as a group but as individuals.

I know your ego makes sure you can’t even entertain such a notion, but have you ever thought that lots of individuals have grown tired of your constant whining, your need to tell everyone what to do, and your general creepiness and decided to vote you down.

Of course that would mean there’s no plot, no conspiracy, no sockpuppets, just that you get on loads of people’s tits.

Instead of thumbing up and telling people what to do, just stop whinging and telling people what to do. Or you could just carry one being frightfully tedious and sanctimonious.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 18 May, 2020 10:59 am
@izzythepush,
I just upthumbed Izzy, so you know I am serious Wink !
izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 May, 2020 11:28 am
@maxdancona,
The delusional are some of the most serious of all.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » One Two Three Four... I declare a thumb war.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 12:03:29