Race, Policy and Covid-19

Reply Sat 9 May, 2020 12:40 pm
There were two headlines last week

1. African Americans and Latinos are testing positive for covid-19 at a rate much higher than White Americans.

2. African Americans and Latinos are being stopped for breaking social distancing rules at a rate much higher than White Americans.

Somehow these two facts go together logically. The news articles are painting this as a story about racial inequity rather than a story about social behavior and policy. I would to see a policy both...

- Addresses the statistical facts.
- Is sensitive to the needs of diverse communities, including minority communities.

It seems like the politics get in the way of a sensible policy, and nobody can suggest that urban communities with high minority populations are having a greater issue with social distancing for fear of being "racist".

Maybe we should stop enforcement of social distancing rules. Maybe we should address additional programs to communities with lower compliance to social distancing rules.

These stories of political outrage seem both dishonest and counterproductive.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 May, 2020 01:13 pm
I saw a headline on a story that read that once Trump saw who mostly was dying, he more or less gave up the cause. I didn't read it, but it sounds about right.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 10 May, 2020 07:41 pm
In my experience the left just reflexively falsely accuses everyone of racism.

I stopped paying attention to their false accusations a long time ago. The world would be a better place if everyone else joined me in this.

Off topic, but the same applies to ignoring feminist nutcases and their silly yammering about how everyone is always raping them.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 10 May, 2020 08:00 pm
@oralloy,
You aren't being logical Oralloy. You are just taking the opposite extreme. Your reflexive response is just as irrational as theirs.

Clearly there are real examples of racism. There are rational policies that we should consider to make our society more equitable.

I believe we should judge each policy based on the facts. I have no problem accepting when conservatives have a valid point, likewise I have no problem accepting when liberal have a point. If you are going to be "reflexively" partisan, then what is the point of a discussion. I know the talking points of each side by heart at this point.

In this case, I feel the stated political policy is nonsensical. In this case it is the liberals calling for greater enforcement to protect communities, and then complaining about the impact of said enforcement on communities. That is ridiculous.

oralloy

Reply Sun 10 May, 2020 08:41 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
You aren't being logical Oralloy. You are just taking the opposite extreme. Your reflexive response is just as irrational as theirs.

I think it is both logical and rational to not pay attention to accusations of racism from people who falsely accuse everyone of racism.

maxdancona wrote:
Clearly there are real examples of racism.

Perhaps, but that doesn't mean I should pay any attention to people who make endless false accusations of racism.

maxdancona wrote:
There are rational policies that we should consider to make our society more equitable.
I believe we should judge each policy based on the facts.

Fine with me. Good luck in your efforts to achieve this.

maxdancona wrote:
In this case, I feel the stated political policy is nonsensical. In this case it is the liberals calling for greater enforcement to protect communities, and then complaining about the impact of said enforcement on communities. That is ridiculous.

Progressives do such ridiculous things pretty regularly. Progressives tend to be their own victims though.

Since progressives viciously attack me for trying to come up with solutions to inner city problems, and since inner city problems aren't my problem, I usually just roll my eyes and let them stew in their own self-imposed misery. I have better things to do than try to help people who attack me for trying to help them out.

Like I said above, good luck in your efforts, but when you get tired of being attacked by the very people who you are trying to help, feel free to come join me in not caring about inner city problems.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 14 May, 2020 09:15 pm
@oralloy,
You are basically bragging about ad hominem arguments.

If a statement is correct, it doesn't matter if it comes from the NRA or BLM or Sarah Palin or Gloria Steinem. I do not respect when people care more about partisan politics than about facts or sane policy.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Race, Policy and Covid-19
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 03:01:28