What do you do when a family member passes during COVID 19?

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 10:29 am
Just got news - a family member (in his 40s) was found in his home dead. Very unexpected.

What does one do? In normal circumstances we would have packed our bags and been there.

jespah

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 10:47 am
@Linkat,
First off, I am sorry for your loss.

I would say to take your lead from whomever is making the arrangements. Arrangements most likely mean either just 1 person at the burial or may be put off for weeks or months.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 12:18 pm
@Linkat,
Sorry to read this.

It is very dependent on jurisdiction.

A friend in Buffalo, NY just went to funeral home as her grandmoter died. 10 people were allowed in to see the coffin, 1 at a time. No visitation. No public service. No burial to attend. They will do celebration of life later.

Locally, no visitation. no burial to attend. can have a service if less than 4 people plus officiant. social distancing has to be observed for people not from same home.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 02:21 pm
Well I found out no service - from what I heard this particular man would prefer it that way.

My husband though feels he needs to go -this is a family in which he is sort of the adopted son. So this man is his brother - I am not completely happy about it that he plans to fly across country but I understand.

I just went out and was got a mask from a friend that makes them. Trying to keep him as safe as I can.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 02:35 pm
@Linkat,
Not sure how it is where he is going but here he would be required to declare his 14 day self-isolation plan when he lands - on both ends of the trip. If you don't declare your plan/don't have a plan they can monitor, you are mmm put into care by the provincial government. Have your husband check it out for the state he will be travelling to.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 02:41 pm
@Linkat,
Make sure your husband has a few masks. If he will have access to laundry facilities, he can go with 2 a day and wash/dry both each evening.

Can he be isolated within your home on his return? a friend just got out of her 14 day self-isolation at home after travel. She was on second floor of house, husband and cat on first floor. Best was the day he climbed a tree to talk to her through an upstairs window. the pictures of that were sweet. facetime just wasn't enough
Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 03:04 pm
@ehBeth,
There is none in place where he is traveling as far as you need to stay in quarantine. It does state stay at home other than essential travel - which we have in our state - no one stops you.

Coming home - I already warned him - is a self-quarantine for 14 days. Now I do not think they monitor it - but I told him he is going to have to stay in for 14 days when he gets back.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 03:07 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Make sure your husband has a few masks. If he will have access to laundry facilities, he can go with 2 a day and wash/dry both each evening.

Can he be isolated within your home on his return? a friend just got out of her 14 day self-isolation at home after travel. She was on second floor of house, husband and cat on first floor. Best was the day he climbed a tree to talk to her through an upstairs window. the pictures of that were sweet. facetime just wasn't enough

Funny I did tell the kids I was going to make him stay in our bedroom for 14 days. It would be tough we only have a half bath on the first floor - I doubt he could go without a shower or bath for two weeks.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 03:10 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Funny I did tell the kids I was going to make him stay in our bedroom for 14 days. It would be tough we only have a half bath on the first floor - I doubt he could go without a shower or bath for two weeks.

where would you stay if he was in your bedroom? seriously.

one of my best friends had to tell her son he was not welcome to come to her home for 21 days after his return if he insisted on going on a trip he thought was important. thank goodness, his pastor talked him out of the trip.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 03:19 pm
@Linkat,
I am really sorry. This is a horrible situation, I think.

There is a balancing act here.

You could assume that the risk of your husband coming back infected is pretty low (not zero... but low). Could you accept the risk to yourself and your kids? The risk is low, and even if you do get sick, it would likely be OK.

In this scenario, he could quarantine in house (as normal) to flatten the curve.. but be considered part of your family group. I would find this to be an acceptable risk (if my spouse were traveling for a funeral), I realize that people analyze risk differently.

The other option would be for him to find a local hotel for 2 weeks after he gets back. I would far prefer this to being locked in my bedroom. The "locked in my bedroom" option sounds like hell to me.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2020 04:04 pm
@ehBeth,
I would stay in the rest of the house.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What do you do when a family member passes during COVID 19?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.49 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 09:52:41