Finding Songs for my iPod?

cjhsa

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 11:46 am
How come the Apple online store asks for a credit card number to download their "Free song of the week"? That's a crock.

What site(s) do you use to find tunes for your iPod/MP3 player?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,473 • Replies: 12
No top replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 11:59 am
cj, i'd give iTunes a pass on that one. it's probably not worth it for Apple to write separate download code for the free tunes, so instead they charge you $0.00 on your card. i haven't downloaded a freebie from them, but i'll try it if you like, just to make sure you won't be charged.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 12:06 pm
So where do you get music?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 12:17 pm
a few things from iTunes, but mostly CDs from bmgmusic.com. they have a pretty good selection, and it's price competive when they have sales. an entire album download for iTunes costs $9.99 by comparison. bmg can beat that, when they have a sale, plus you get an actual cd, with artwork, etc., and after you transfer the tunes to your pc, you could always take it to a used cd place and get credit, etc. sometimes you get closeout stuff at amazing low prices there and at columbiahouse. if i'm really desperate for something, i'll look at amazon for used stuff.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 01:33 pm
OK, I just tried to transfer the Jet CD to iTunes and it has the (wrong) album name where the name of the songs should go. The song names are in the "Artist" column, and the artist is in the "Album" column (which happens to be correct, but only because it is Jet-Jet). WTF?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 01:48 pm
well, you can correct them and submit the corrections! i forgot how to do that, however. afaik, many of these tune listings were provided by iTunes users in this manner, so there's no accuracy guarantee.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 02:12 pm
I figured out how to "correct" them by right clicking on each song and changing the info. But you'd think, seeing as how Jet was one of the bands they used in the iPod advertisements, that they'd get this one right.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 02:26 pm
what fun would that be? iPods even freeze now & then, so PC users like me can feel at home. ;-)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 12:40 am
OK, I spent a good portion of my day at work fiddling with this thing, got a couple albums worth of music transferred onto it, came home, plugged it into my home XP PC, and iTunes deleted the entire contents of my iPod....

WTF is that about? I'd expect this thing to sync like a Palm Pilot, not like a stupid drone. Why would it do that??? A portable MP3 player has to be usable on more than one computer - what is the point otherwise?

At first I tried telling it not to "replace contents with local library", but then it wouldn't let me work with it, not even play a song off the iPod on the computer.

I have hated Apple stuff for years - this only confirms that feeling.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 12:46 am
easy, just buy 2! one for home, one for work. Rolling Eyes seriously, that's what you get for fiddling with it on your employer's time. no, i'm kidding, but i have no insight on this problem since i only attach mine to my home pc.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 12:51 am
The behaviour makes no sense. It is classic Apple.

I always find it ironic, after their 1984 commercial for the Mac, that Apple stuff only works if you use it exactly as designed. Any deviation and you're f----d. Once something breaks, you can't fix it.

Does anybody here use an MP3 player with Linux?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 10:53 am
So, how do you manage your iPod if you can only successfully connect it to one computer?

ARGH !@#$%^&
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 11:38 am
cjhsa... if you still need help with this let me know, I can probably help you out.
0 Replies