Adjusting to video conferencing ... and its hiccups

Linkat

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2020 07:02 am
As those working from home adjust to connecting with each other remotely, video conference hiccups abound. And one such video conference issue became internet gold. My boss turned herself into a potato on our Microsoft teams meeting and can’t figure out how to turn the setting off, so she was just stuck like this the entire meeting.

https://imagevars.gulfnews.com/2020/04/01/Potato-filter_17134d6c0c9_medium.jpg

https://time.com/5813683/boss-turns-herself-into-a-potato/

engineer

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2020 07:06 am
@Linkat,
I saw that on the Internet! You were part of history! How did everyone keep a straight face?
Linkat

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2020 07:10 am
@engineer,
Oh its not me; I was just copying from the article the good parts -- however, that is something that would happen to me. I don't know how many times I clicked on something and some weird thing has happened - and I don't know how or how to fix it. I then need to yell to my kids to fix it.

They always have a good laugh at my lack of skills on these things.
engineer

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2020 07:12 am
@Linkat,
Well, your boss is Internet famous and can still walk down the street without being recognized.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2020 08:17 am

be aware when using this particular software...

A Feature on Zoom Secretly Displayed Data From People’s LinkedIn Profiles
Linkat

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2020 08:24 am
@Region Philbis,
Ah we don't use zoom at work - my kids use it for school and for virtual workouts with their sports performance training.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2020 09:01 am
I don't see why video is necessary for work. Why do you need to dress well and check your appearance to discuss something that could be discussed via audio-only?

Textual communication works best because you don't have to wait while someone puts their thoughts together and edits them; just read the final product.
jespah

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2020 09:17 am
@livinglava,
Video is used for screen sharing so you can better describe what you're doing/teach people how to do something. It's got a huge place in work.

And BTW, I've been working at home for years. I don't dress up for it. I suspect most companies will stop doing that soon, if they haven't already. Getting all dolled up with the work mullet (e.g. suit on top, sweats on the bottom) is silly when people can't get haircuts and their kids and pets are running in and out of the frame.
livinglava

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2020 09:24 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Video is used for screen sharing so you can better describe what you're doing/teach people how to do something. It's got a huge place in work.

Fine, but that doesn't require any face-to-face video.

Quote:
And BTW, I've been working at home for years. I don't dress up for it. I suspect most companies will stop doing that soon, if they haven't already. Getting all dolled up with the work mullet (e.g. suit on top, sweats on the bottom) is silly when people can't get haircuts and their kids and pets are running in and out of the frame.

Exactly. Video is a distraction. We dress up for work to avoid being distracted by appearances so it doesn't make sense to have video conference when audio or text would suffice.
jespah

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2020 09:59 am
@livinglava,
I disagree.

Working from home for a considerable length of time is exceptionally isolating. Seeing actual humans is helpful for mental health. That means faces, not just someone dragging a mouse across a screen.
http://www.workplacementalhealth.org/Employer-Resources/Working-Remotely-During-COVID-19

Long-term remote working means videoconferencing becomes your water cooler. My team likes and wants to see each other. Staying connected is vital. And it's truly important to be doing something which isn't work at times. We work incredibly hard, all of us. 15 minutes of finding out how people's kids are or how they are coping is a vital lifeline. And like I said, we don't dress up.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/mar/25/extreme-loneliness-or-the-perfect-balance-how-to-work-from-home-and-stay-healthy
livinglava

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2020 10:17 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

I disagree.

Working from home for a considerable length of time is exceptionally isolating. Seeing actual humans is helpful for mental health. That means faces, not just someone dragging a mouse across a screen.
http://www.workplacementalhealth.org/Employer-Resources/Working-Remotely-During-COVID-19

Long-term remote working means videoconferencing becomes your water cooler. My team likes and wants to see each other. Staying connected is vital. And it's truly important to be doing something which isn't work at times. We work incredibly hard, all of us. 15 minutes of finding out how people's kids are or how they are coping is a vital lifeline. And like I said, we don't dress up.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/mar/25/extreme-loneliness-or-the-perfect-balance-how-to-work-from-home-and-stay-healthy

Nothing stops you from video-chatting or otherwise socializing with colleagues voluntarily, but why should it be a work-requirement?

There have always been people who are less comfortable with their appearance, more introverted, less interested in dressing up, accessorizing, etc. who would rather contribute to a positive workplace atmosphere without presenting their visual appearance to others.

I think remote work is a great opportunity for those who prefer to avoid visual contact. If identity-verification is needed, audio contact suffices for that.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2020 10:19 am
@jespah,
I agree with jespah on this. Even video conferencing is not as good as face to face in person but it is better than just a voice without a face.

It is harder to know what a person is reacting to something you say if you do not see their reaction. Often times say you are training someone - you cannot see their face - it is hard to know if they really are understanding - it is easier if you see their reaction. Yes - you can ask - but often times they will just say yeah.

One experience I had - I was managing a team that was half way across the country. Some I interviewed over the phone and never saw them in person before. We would have video conferencing with the team often times and I still felt that was a bit strained with those that I never met. There were a couple that had worked in my office and then moved to the new location - I had good relationships with them - but I felt a strained relationship on the others - like they held back or I couldn't get a read on them.

I did travel down there - and did so more often afterwards - once I traveled and met them in person I could tell the relationship was much more different. They responded better to me and were more open when asking questions.

I am not a psychologist but there was a huge difference when I was in person than when I called. And afterwards as well - there is just much more you do not realize that comes into play when working with others than just words and text.

And as far as dressing up - I work in the financial industry so unless I am meeting with a client and they are formal - we dress business casual - there are fee that get dressed up any more.

My current client is several hour flight away so even when I went to visit their offices - it was business casual. I did dress a little nicer than I do in the office - no suit, just nicer slacks/shirk and shirt, they were all dressed casual.
livinglava

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2020 10:46 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I agree with jespah on this. Even video conferencing is not as good as face to face in person but it is better than just a voice without a face.

It is harder to know what a person is reacting to something you say if you do not see their reaction. Often times say you are training someone - you cannot see their face - it is hard to know if they really are understanding - it is easier if you see their reaction. Yes - you can ask - but often times they will just say yeah.

One experience I had - I was managing a team that was half way across the country. Some I interviewed over the phone and never saw them in person before. We would have video conferencing with the team often times and I still felt that was a bit strained with those that I never met. There were a couple that had worked in my office and then moved to the new location - I had good relationships with them - but I felt a strained relationship on the others - like they held back or I couldn't get a read on them.

I did travel down there - and did so more often afterwards - once I traveled and met them in person I could tell the relationship was much more different. They responded better to me and were more open when asking questions.

I am not a psychologist but there was a huge difference when I was in person than when I called. And afterwards as well - there is just much more you do not realize that comes into play when working with others than just words and text.

And as far as dressing up - I work in the financial industry so unless I am meeting with a client and they are formal - we dress business casual - there are fee that get dressed up any more.

My current client is several hour flight away so even when I went to visit their offices - it was business casual. I did dress a little nicer than I do in the office - no suit, just nicer slacks/shirk and shirt, they were all dressed casual.

What you are concerned with is people just not being forthright.

People may hold back in video as well as audio conferencing because they are uncomfortable with their communication being recorded and circulated through a corporate network without their knowledge.

It's easier to talk to an individual when you don't have the feeling what you say is going to be recorded and viewed by strangers.

You can get forthright attitudes in written form more so than audio and definitely video, especially when someone feels more comfortable with what they have to say/write than how they look or sound.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2020 12:50 pm
@jespah,
Don't you find the video component horribly distracting in a discussion?

I have to cover the screen so I can follow the voices/tones. It's much like live news - I have to listen to it on the radio, can't watch it on television as I get distracted/put off by all the weird human tics.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Adjusting to video conferencing ... and its hiccups
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 08:46:29