The importance of wearing #masks.

lucs

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2020 07:29 pm
The importance of wearing #masks. The education strategies must adapt immediately in #Europe and #USA.

#covid19 #coronavirus #pandemic #publichealth #herdimmunity

“Why face mask use, proven effective, is not being promoted in general use.? Because the government failed to stockpile and had no plan for how to ramp up production, and chose to shame the public into not buying masks instead of being honest. “ #peakprosperity

“50% compliance in donning the device resulted in a significant (at least 50% prevalence and 20% cumulative incidence) reduction in risk for fitted and unfitted N95 respirators, high-filtration surgical masks, and both low-filtration and high-filtration pediatric masks. An 80% compliance rate essentially eliminated the influenza outbreak. The results of the present study, as well as the application of the model to related influenza scenarios, are potentially useful to public health officials in decisions involving resource allocation or education strategies.”

maxdancona

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2020 08:03 pm
@lucs,
I am skeptical of this claim.

Can you provide a link?
livinglava

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2020 09:23 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Can you provide a link?

To what, the mask supplier they are working for and/or own stock in?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 01:32 am
@lucs,
Seem on it face more complete nonsense the internet is known for an by a poster with zero repeat zero history on this website other then his or her mask post.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 09:42 am
@lucs,
lucs wrote:

The importance of wearing #masks. The education strategies must adapt immediately in #Europe and #USA.

“Why face mask use, proven effective, is not being promoted in general use.? Because the government failed to stockpile and had no plan for how to ramp up production, and chose to shame the public into not buying masks instead of being honest. “ #peakprosperity

“50% compliance in donning the device resulted in a significant (at least 50% prevalence and 20% cumulative incidence) reduction in risk for fitted and unfitted N95 respirators, high-filtration surgical masks, and both low-filtration and high-filtration pediatric masks. An 80% compliance rate essentially eliminated the influenza outbreak. The results of the present study, as well as the application of the model to related influenza scenarios, are potentially useful to public health officials in decisions involving resource allocation or education strategies.”

Goofbucket? Do you think this is Facebook or Twitter or Instagram? #Hashtags don't work here. And as others have (and will) requested. Cite your bloody sources.

There's a reason why there is a dangerous deficit and run on the market for these masks. Fearmongering idiots like you (who likely have an equally dangerous agenda to push). I suspect that you are or want to be a coronavirus profiteer.
livinglava

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 09:52 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

lucs wrote:

Goofbucket? Do you think this is Facebook or Twitter or Instagram? #Hashtags don't work here. And as others have (and will) requested. Cite your bloody sources.

There's a reason why there is a dangerous deficit and run on the market for these masks. Fearmongering idiots like you (who likely have an equally dangerous agenda to push). I suspect that you are or want to be a coronavirus profiteer.

#copypaste same text multiple platforms, #quantify views, #get paid?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 10:32 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Can you provide a link?

I am changing my mind on this one. I did a little poking around and found the study that the OP quoted from. I also looked at other scientific research.

It seems that yes, there is valid scientific evidence wearing a face mask in public does reduce your risk of getting a respiratory virus.

The CDC is making a rather weird argument. They are kind of saying that wearing a mask doesn't protect you (a claim that is not backed by scientific research) and yet they are saying that masks are required by health care professionals.

It is probably valid for the CDC to claim that masks may provide some protection... but not enough to justify the cost particularly considering the shortage. This is a difficult message for the public to digest... the simple statement "masks won't help you" makes a better campaign.

The American public has difficulty with nuanced messages. In a case like this were effecting people's behavior in a specific way is important to overall health, I don't know what the correct answer is.

Here is the link to the study quoted in the OP.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/risa.13181
livinglava

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 10:59 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

It seems that yes, there is valid scientific evidence wearing a face mask in public does reduce your risk of getting a respiratory virus.

And wearing a helmet would reduce the risk of head and face injuries when riding in a motor-vehicle or even walking.

Yet people don't wear helmets whenever they're in transit. Why do you supposed that is?

Could it be they dismiss risks when they see others dismissing the same risks?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 11:02 am
@livinglava,
You are making a reasonable argument Lava.

The interesting question is that the CDC needs the public to stop hoarding masks. How do they craft a message that is both scientifically accurate, but will get the public to react in the proper way.

When people are scared, they don't always act rationally.
BillRM

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 11:03 am
@livinglava,
School buses the last I look do not have seat belts either.
livinglava

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 11:21 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

You are making a reasonable argument Lava.

The interesting question is that the CDC needs the public to stop hoarding masks. How do they craft a message that is both scientifically accurate, but will get the public to react in the proper way.

When people are scared, they don't always act rationally.

Do you mean the goal of the CDC isn't to drive mask demand to the point of scarcity as a fiscal stimulus strategy?

Are you claiming the CDC works for the people and not the medical supply industries?

Well what if the people's goal is to generate scarcity as fiscal stimulus?

How should the CDC stop them if that's their goal? Freeze their credit?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 11:28 am
@livinglava,
I do not believe that the CDC is controlled by the Extraterrestrial Lizard People (which is what it seems like you are suggesting).
livinglava

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 11:34 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I do not believe that the CDC is controlled by the Extraterrestrial Lizard People (which is what it seems like you are suggesting).

For someone who uses sarcasm so much, you don't recognize irony very well.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 12:26 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

You've been out of the loop. Many modern school buses (can't say all school districts) do have them.

Are Seatbelts Required on School Buses?

Quote:
Seatbelts are required in some cases, but not all. Smaller school buses — weighing 10,000 pounds or less — are required to have lap-shoulder belts under federal motor vehicle safety standards.

Larger buses may also be required to have seatbelts, depending on where you live. Eight states — Arkansas, California, Florida, Louisiana, Nevada, New Jersey, New York and Texas — have passed legislation requiring that seatbelts be installed on school buses, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. But in some cases, it is required only if funding is provided by the state or school districts. There are two kinds of seatbelts on school buses: the older lap belts and the newer lap-shoulder belts that are generally considered safer.
BillRM

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 02:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

BillRM wrote:

You've been out of the loop. Many modern school buses (can't say all school districts) do have them.

Are Seatbelts Required on School Buses?

Quote:
Seatbelts are required in some cases, but not all. Smaller school buses — weighing 10,000 pounds or less — are required to have lap-shoulder belts under federal motor vehicle safety standards.

Larger buses may also be required to have seatbelts, depending on where you live. Eight states — Arkansas, California, Florida, Louisiana, Nevada, New Jersey, New York and Texas — have passed legislation requiring that seatbelts be installed on school buses, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. But in some cases, it is required only if funding is provided by the state or school districts. There are two kinds of seatbelts on school buses: the older lap belts and the newer lap-shoulder belts that are generally considered safer.

Quote:

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local-news/i-team-investigates/fl-school-districts-not-taking-feds-advice-on-school-bus-seat-belt-safety

While Florida requires seatbelts on school buses built since 2001, it does not require students wear them, nor does it mandate what kind of seatbelts need to be provided other than lap belts.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 02:46 pm
@maxdancona,
Procter and Gamble (the Charmin Division) announced that it can provide 2 million msks a week. Yesterday PBS stated that one of the stats where there was a stockpile of stuff for such catastrophes had located upward of 35 MILLION masks.

I was wondering where all the stuff stored in Cheyenne Mountain Got to.
livinglava

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 03:30 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Procter and Gamble (the Charmin Division) announced that it can provide 2 million msks a week. Yesterday PBS stated that one of the stats where there was a stockpile of stuff for such catastrophes had located upward of 35 MILLION masks.

I was wondering where all the stuff stored in Cheyenne Mountain Got to.

I'm sure if enough people crowd-funded it, they could get as many masks as they want.
farmerman

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 08:51 am
@maxdancona,
The physician in charge of S Koreas covid program (epidemiologist who had successfully beaten te SARs epidemic and learned dfrom MERS 9or was it the other way round/)
He was asked the question about having protection offered by using masks. He said"Of course" mask wearing was integral to Korea's handling of Covid and he gave several examples of it in transmission and wearer protection.

I go shopping wearing a mask now and rubbr glovs (surfaces and aerosols)

Dr Fauci has taken a reversal on masks also. (heard on CBC). Im wonering about the paucity of mask info through our "leaders"
Lash

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 04:28 pm
@farmerman,
I hate to tell you. It's being down[played because there aren't enough and 'powers that be' don't want people to panic.

Nurses and doctors are being fired for not taking them off when they aren't working directly with patients. When the news reports it, they're hired back most of the time.

People need masks. I'm trying to get my kids to start making them and selling them online.

I'll see if I can find one of these stories.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 04:33 pm
@farmerman,
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/health/hospitals-and-coronavirus.html

Here it is.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The importance of wearing #masks.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:45:29