The importance of wearing #masks.

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 04:52 pm
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:

I'm sure if enough people crowd-funded it, they could get as many masks as they want.

we're finding it best to just get on with making them. a local sewing army has donated close to 5000 masks and caps in a bit less than a week. the hospital asked for 1000. the sewists and helpers are continuing.

3000 canadian businesses are retooling to make PPE's

https://globalnews.ca/news/6755958/coronavirus-canadian-companies-now-manufacturing-ventilators-surgical-masks/

it can apparently be done on a dime when the matter is urgent

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 04:57 pm
https://www.maskssavelives.org/

Quote:
Let's promote mask-wearing culture to lower COVID-19 infections.

Anything that prevents aerosolized viruses from being transmitted person-to-person will lower COVID-19's infection rate 5.

Wear a mask when outside of your home to avoid lingering aerosolized virus droplets3.

N95 masks are better than surgical masks, but anything that prevents breathing in moisture particles with viruses helps. 4

lots of links, starting with one fromLancet
BillRM

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 05:08 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

https://www.maskssavelives.org/

Quote:
Let's promote mask-wearing culture to lower COVID-19 infections.

Anything that prevents aerosolized viruses from being transmitted person-to-person will lower COVID-19's infection rate 5.

Wear a mask when outside of your home to avoid lingering aerosolized virus droplets3.

N95 masks are better than surgical masks, but anything that prevents breathing in moisture particles with viruses helps. 4

lots of links, starting with one fromLancet

Lovely made more demands on the supply of masks when the health care people can not get enough masks to protect themselves while working with virus patients.
Lash

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 05:10 pm
@BillRM,
No. Individuals are making them. It's going to be a bit of a new industry for a while.
livinglava

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 05:16 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

No. Individuals are making them. It's going to be a bit of a new industry for a while.

If surgical masks are being rejected as inferior to the N95s, why would home-made masks be any better?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 05:24 pm
@BillRM,
Glad you're concerned.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 05:30 pm
@BillRM,
N-95s are for med folks only. '

The Sewing Army is making and donating plenty for other people to use. Masks/caps/gowns/hairbands to keep straps off ears. Just got a call for isolation gowns for midwives as they are wearing garbage bags to protect their uniforms.

The thought of making money off this is a bit ... ick. Manufacturers are donating fabric, elastic, twill, thread. Some designers have put their laid-off sewists on the project.

My fav is a local guy who is a kilt-maker by trade. He is pumping out beautiful masks at an amazing pace.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 05:33 pm
@livinglava,
Our hospital (and others) and local public health unit has requested them. A local designer worked with a doc on fine-tuning design.

I did hear there were some problems in the UK. That a trade standards group shut down a group of sewists. Idiotic.

The evidence is that all other things being equal, any mask/face cover is better than none. Good masks best. Proper gear best. Lockdown best.

Stay home. Social distance. Wear a mask.
livinglava

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 05:45 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Our hospital (and others) and local public health unit has requested them. A local designer worked with a doc on fine-tuning design.

I did hear there were some problems in the UK. That a trade standards group shut down a group of sewists. Idiotic.

The evidence is that all other things being equal, any mask/face cover is better than none. Good masks best. Proper gear best. Lockdown best.

Stay home. Social distance. Wear a mask.

Things are going to get strange the moment any robberies are committed by people with masks on or if masked people start shoplifting.

It would be great if criminals wouldn't take advantage of something like masks becoming normal in public, but I suspect at least some will.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 05:56 pm
@livinglava,
Given how they are limiting people in stores - staff monitoring each aisle for distancing, security at the one entrance remaining open in stores here + security cameras ... those thefts aren't going to be easy. there's no crowd for them to mix in with /// also - can't bring in shopping bags.. you'd have to carry the stuff you're planning to shoplift out in your bare hands or gloved hands actually
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 06:09 pm
@livinglava,
Think about it. Doctors and nurses are in close proximity to people who are actively suffering and spewing droplets like crazy. They require better facewear...

I just want to go to the damn grocery store.

Those situations require different coverage.
roger

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 06:21 pm
@Lash,
Indeed they do.

Now, if masks become mandatory (I heard of the possibility) where the heck will we get them. Last time I looked, the supermarket was still out of toilet paper, and toilet paper isn't even mandatory.
Lash

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 06:31 pm
@roger,
Right?! I'm going to have to buy some nutty Japanese Hello Kitty masks.
I guess I could use a bandanna like Jesse James' crew.

Roger, I think that would be a good look for you.

I'm going to need a pic, Rog.
roger

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 06:44 pm
@Lash,
So, how does it feel to need something that you know you ain't gonna get?
Lash

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 06:53 pm
@roger,
But, but... c'mon, Rog.

I need to see you in a black bandanna with those epic eyebrows profiling a wry, knowing expression.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 07:07 pm
@roger,
no old bandannas or handkerchiefs in your house?

bandanna mask topped with propeller beanie

it's a thing

or at least it will be
Lash

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 07:13 pm
You're being coy, Roger. Coy! Trying to get women to beg... Player!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 07:34 pm
@ehBeth,
No, but back around 2004, I showed up at the first Cocoa Beach gathering wearing an A2K beanie with a propeller on top. I believe I gave it to Letty before departing,
ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 09:04 pm
@roger,
I may still have a photo of that in the archives.
roger

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 09:38 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeah? I don't recall our meeting there,
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 02:27:27