How come all these well known people are positive for COVID-19?

Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 11:35 am
Has everyone else been reading so and so has tested positive for COVID-19, but how many average every day people do you that have tested positive?

Is this because if you are well-known you are more likely to get a test? I know of only one person that was tested. He was tested because he had to go to the ER (for non-related COVID-19) and has a suppressed immune system - he fortunately was not positive.

I have also heard of several people that were told they could not be tested and even were told it was ok to go to work at a sandwich shop even though they were in close contact with someone that is being tested (no result yet on that one).

We chose not to go there to get lunch.

maxdancona

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 12:10 pm
@Linkat,
I suspect there are two things going on.

1) If you are rich and famous, you can get a test. Wealth has its privelege.
2) The goal is to get normal people to take this seriously. There is an advantage to having famous people disclose that they have the virus.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 01:07 pm
@Linkat,
#1 reason is fame. Entire basketball teams have been tested. If you are well known, you can get a test. Heck, maybe even a few tests (a weekly thing).

#2 repulsive reason is, as pointed out by maxamilius, WEALTH. Wave money in front of someone and you howdy, they make it happen. Screw the old Hippocratic Oath, money across the palm is much better.

Stories throughout the news of people trying to get tested and being turned away. Often told they're okay and it's not possibly the Covid-19. Quite a few have gone on to land in a hospital, some attached to ventilators and a few, sadly, have died.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 03:07 pm
Even when they don’t have the virus, we are forced to be victims of their narcissistic drama. Hence, Madonna in the rose petal strewn bath.

The Kardashians are next. At least the youngest one is already telling kids to stay home.
Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2020 03:14 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Even when they don’t have the virus, we are forced to be victims of their narcissistic drama. Hence, Madonna in the rose petal strewn bath.

The Kardashians are next. At least the youngest one is already telling kids to stay home.

Ya gotta love these people saying stay in -- while they have these huge mansions and do not need to work. They probably have indoor gyms or at least it is large enough they can move around.

Instead there are 4 of us at the same time trying to remote in for work/school, sharing a land line phone because the cell reception is crap. Cramped into a small house - well we did spread out - the kids in bedrooms, me in the living room and hubby in MY office. Gyms are closed so our kids are doing their virtual workouts at home in small spaces.

And this is not a complaint about us being cooped in - it could be worse - but more a complaint that this self adsorbed as you described (and I agree) narcissistics try to convince us to just stay inside - like they are giving up alot.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 04:59 am

Prince Charles has it...
Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 06:00 am
@Region Philbis,
That's a shame. At his age, it could be a death sentence.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 09:32 pm
Health care workers seem to get priority, as well. A pharmacist where I work got symptoms and got tested the next day.
snood

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 09:35 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

PUNKEY wrote:

Ya gotta love these people saying stay in -- while they have these huge mansions and do not need to work. They probably have indoor gyms or at least it is large enough they can move around.

Instead there are 4 of us at the same time trying to remote in for work/school, sharing a land line phone because the cell reception is crap. Cramped into a small house - well we did spread out - the kids in bedrooms, me in the living room and hubby in MY office. Gyms are closed so our kids are doing their virtual workouts at home in small spaces.

And this is not a complaint about us being cooped in - it could be worse - but more a complaint that this self adsorbed as you described (and I agree) narcissistics try to convince us to just stay inside - like they are giving up alot.

Even more offensive are the rich guys like Glen Beck saying that people his age should be willing to die for the sake of the economy. Like he’d risk a single hair on his fat head.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2020 07:02 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Health care workers seem to get priority, as well. A pharmacist where I work got symptoms and got tested the next day.

Yes but that makes sense. If something happens to them - then who will take care of the ill? We all need them and they are working tirelessly to keep us safe and healthy.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2020 07:13 am
@Linkat,
The health workers who are putting their lives on the line to fight the virus should be first to get testing and treatment. I don't think Snood was saying otherwise.
Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2020 07:16 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The health workers who are putting their lives on the line to fight the virus should be first to get testing and treatment. I don't think Snood was saying otherwise.

True - he did just state the fact. I could have mis-read his intention.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2020 07:51 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Correct. Was just stating a fact I learned.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 08:03 am
So it was not just me - saw this article this weekend

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/28/nation/how-do-you-qualify-coronavirus-test-how-long-should-results-take-it-depends/

Why does it seem the rich and famous get tested for coronavirus while others don’t? It’s complicated
Some celebs and politicians have received tests and results within hours, while others have coughed and stressed for over a week

Dennis Magnasco, a 32-year-old Harvard University graduate student from Somerville, was tested for COVID-19 on March 18 as he battled a hacking cough, high fever, and shortness of breath. Eleven days later, he was still waiting for the results.

Meantime, he watched others, including Harvard’s president, Lawrence S. Bacow, US Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley, Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart, and state health commissioner Dr. Monica Bharel receive tests and results in a mere fraction of the time. Smart had no symptoms, Pressley was feverish, Bacow and his wife had fevers and chills, and Bharel described her illness as mild.

Some celebrities, politicians, and top athletes, many with mild infections or no symptoms at all, have seemingly received tests and results in hours, while others have coughed and stressed for over a week. Discussion of this divide has bounced around virtual meeting rooms and burned across social media: Just how does a person qualify for a test and how long should they have to wait for results?

Power and prestige certainly help: Witness the Boston Celtics enlisting a private company to conduct testing in mid-March when tests were hard to come by for just about any other Massachusetts resident.

But across the state, there remains wide disparities in who gets tested and how fast they get results.

A 60-year-old emergency room nurse at a hospital in Greater Boston said he couldn’t get a test, despite having had a sore throat, cough, and headache for days, in addition to his diabetes and related nerve damage. The nurse said the hospital he works for requires a temperature of 100.4 to qualify for a COVID-19 test. His is 99.1.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How come all these well known people are positive for COVID-19?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 11:03:38