Why do Feminist Movies Flop? Get Woke, Go Broke? Is this a thing?

Mon 9 Mar, 2020 11:02 pm
Do "feminist" movies fail because they push current feminism?

From what I've read, that seems to be what the general consensus is among the internet.

Are men truly afraid of a women's intellect?

glitterbag

Mon 9 Mar, 2020 11:17 pm
@Ben Makes Things,
there is no "consensus among the internet".....The internet is huge so your comment sounds kind of stupid. Maybe you should rephrase your question so that other people will comprehend what you are trying to learn.

maxdancona

Mon 9 Mar, 2020 11:33 pm
@Ben Makes Things,
I am a little curious about what a "feminist" movie is. Can you give some examples?

Was Wonder Woman a feminist movie?
0 Replies

snood

Tue 10 Mar, 2020 04:51 am
Was Bridesmaids a feminist movie?
izzythepush

Tue 10 Mar, 2020 06:23 am
@glitterbag,
It's nonsense, films have different messages, Feminism isn't a genre, like Action, Comedy, or Horror.

Whether or not something is classed as Feminist seems to depend on who's watching it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Tue 10 Mar, 2020 06:51 am
Okay so if I were to consider what I might categorize as a feminist movie - there are many that were not flops:

Thelma and Louise
Hidden Figures
A League of Their Own
Alien
Mulan
Norma Rae

And those are just the ones that popped into my head - what I considered Feminist I just picture a strong female(s) role.
maxdancona

Tue 10 Mar, 2020 07:24 am
@Linkat,
If I were a feminist I would be offended by the idea that any movie featuring women is a "feminist" movie. I am an anti-feminist.

I greatly enjoyed Hidden Figures which I saw as a movie about brilliant mathematicians overcoming prejudice. I thought it was a great movie.

I also enjoyed the Alien movies (the first 2 at least). The protagonist was a badass.

Mulan? Really?

Linkat

Tue 10 Mar, 2020 08:02 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Mulan? Really?

For a Disney movie --- yeah - she kicked butt! My girls love Mulan.

I agree on the calling a movie Feminist - why I kinda said this is more about movies with strong female characters - I really do not use feminist in my vocabulary - I don't know I just consider it a stupid word - just pointing out what I consider movies that did well in the box office and that I liked that had strong female roles.

I only saw the first Alien movie.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Wed 11 Mar, 2020 11:19 am
@snood,
Quote:
From what I've read, that seems to be what the general consensus is among the internet.

There's no such thing on a global wide stage that's "the internet."

Ben Makes Things wrote:

This is an oversimplification on why certain movies (seen as pushing an agenda) fail at the box office.

You failing to take into account the given set of movies [it's direct competitors box office wise] also released at a given time; how much money a given studio is willing to pay for the questioned movie's marketing budget; the very subjective nature that's the quality of a given film - and quality can reflect not on the filmmakers but sometimes how much a studio interferes with the production and marketing of said project; on what constitutes a financial success for a given project; etc.... Does a film have to break a $ billion? Some people even try to wield The Rise of Skywalker's $1.07B box office as a failure because it didn't come close to The Force Awakens $2.07B box office record breaker. Some movies just need to break even (covering production and marketing budgets). Do you consider them flops.

How do you define "feminist movie"? That's a slippery definition with a thousand different interpretations held by a thousand different individuals.

snood wrote:

Was Bridesmaids a feminist movie?

Good question. Is Bridesmaids a feminist movie? It made $288M on a $32.5M budget. That's not a flop.

maxdancona wrote:

Was Wonder Woman a feminist movie?

Good question. Was Wonder Woman a feminist movie? It made $821M on a $150M budget. It may not have that high of a profit return as Bridesmaids. But that's not a flop.

Was Captain Marvel a feminist movie? On a $175M budget, it made $1.128B.

I suspect you (the OP) have some hidden (if not necessarily sinister) agenda. Care to share what you think of this general consensus and what makes a feminist movie?
Linkat

Wed 11 Mar, 2020 11:43 am
@tsarstepan,
Looks like this person may be another "one hit wonder"
0 Replies

Real Music

Wed 11 Mar, 2020 11:55 am
@Ben Makes Things,
Quote:

1. What is your definition of a "feminist" movie?
2. Can you provide some your own examples?

Quote:

1. Where did you read this?
2. Can you provide some links to some of your sources?
0 Replies

snood

Wed 11 Mar, 2020 12:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
You quoted me saying something about consensus on the internet that I did not say.
tsarstepan

Wed 11 Mar, 2020 01:48 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

You quoted me saying something about consensus on the internet that I did not say.

I didn't quote you. That's a direct quote from the OP. You've been posting here for years. Just because someone hits the post button off of the last post (like I did) doesn't mean jack crap about the previous post. Your name isn't in that quote claiming you written it. It's not that difficult to follow (posting wise). Don't project.
glitterbag

Wed 11 Mar, 2020 01:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
That's not a symptom of poor reading skill, that's a failure on your part to communicate clearly. I noticed that flub right away and also wondered why you used that phrase under 'snood' as if you were quoting him.

That being said I've made that very same mistake when I was in a hurry, and have pissed off a few people. Certainly not on purpose, but I did acknowledge my mistake and apologized or at least explained. You shouldn't snap at people when they ask for clarification or disagree with your take on things. Snood didn't make the mistake, you did. I don't think you did it on purpose, but it is your mistake to fix...don't blame everyone else for not reading your mind.
Linkat

Wed 11 Mar, 2020 02:57 pm
@glitterbag,
Guilty as well - since the Quote option does not include the name of the person being quoted - it can make that appearance when you simply and quickly hit the most convenient reply button.

Just saying oops didn't mean it that way - can rectify the issue.
snood

Wed 11 Mar, 2020 03:20 pm
@Linkat,
I’ve done something similar, even recently... getting all mad and defensive rather than admit a simple error. It’s not a good look.
tsarstepan

Wed 11 Mar, 2020 03:54 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

That's not a symptom of poor reading skill, that's a failure on your part to communicate clearly. I noticed that flub right away and also wondered why you used that phrase under 'snood' as if you were quoting him.

Both of your ARE NOT NEW TO A2K. FFS. You should have learned how able2know works (commenting hierarchy wise). The impetus is on the sore jackasses who don't know how this site tiers its replies. You both are insanely wrong. And you can't admit it.
tsarstepan

Wed 11 Mar, 2020 03:56 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

I’ve done something similar, even recently... getting all mad and defensive rather than admit a simple error. It’s not a good look.

You're the one getting upset about allegedly being misquoted when your name wasn't involved in the quote and can easily be rectified by doing a simple text search to find out where the text came from. It's basic internet browsing 101. Or are you too old to not know what Control F is (for text searches)? The function has been around for literal decades. You should learn it. It's useful.
snood

Wed 11 Mar, 2020 04:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
Hey man, it was just a simple misunderstanding. There was definitely no call to get all personal - intimating that I’m old and stupid.
I don’t think I did anything to warrant that. If you didn’t quote me wrongly, that’s my mistake and I apologize.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 11 Mar, 2020 04:27 pm
A thread about feminist movies has turned into a bunch of nagging and petty bickering between people with no point to make.

Somehow this seems right.

1. Forums
  2. » Why do Feminist Movies Flop? Get Woke, Go Broke? Is this a thing?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 08:07:04