Fear of the coronavirus?

Grifit

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 06:53 am
I understand that it is not a lethal virus, only that there are many uninformed people who are alarmed or that is what I think now, but is it really not so lethal?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 939 • Replies: 39

oralloy

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 07:14 am
It is expected to kill half a million people in the US.
BillRM

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 09:36 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

It is expected to kill half a million people in the US.

I just love to see you link to such a silly claim. Once more this seems not to be as deadly as a normal flu season let alone the Spanish flu of 1918.
oralloy

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 10:52 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
https://i.insider.com/5e62a449fee23d58c83a9e62
https://www.businessinsider.com/presentation-us-hospitals-preparing-for-millions-of-hospitalizations-2020-3
BillRM

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 12:55 pm
@oralloy,

So you are not going by the cdc or other such experts but some nonsense in some business mag!!!!!!
Sturgis

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 03:16 pm
@Grifit,
Quote:
...not a lethal virus...

Tell this to the thousands who have perished from it, already.

...oh, wait ✋, you can't, seeing as how they're dead. So it was lethal for them.

Anyways, in the words of the late President, Frankie Roosevelt, "There is nothing to fear but fear itself". Seriously. If you begin to worry, your immune system may be challenged and that could cause you harm.

As Alfred E. Neuman asked, What, me worry?

Just watch what's going on around you, avoid coughing and sneezing folks and wash your hands regularly.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 03:21 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
...silly claim...
...seems not to be...

SEEMS being the key word.

It's just getting started. So far it is multiplying faster than hotcakes at an always open diner!

0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 04:36 pm
@oralloy,
Triple or quadruple that number counting the old people that will avoid hospitals like the plague even when they do seriously need one. Ad some more in damned if you do, damned if you don't regarding avoiding panic and global recession.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 06:00 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
So you are not going by the cdc or other such experts but some nonsense in some business mag!!!!!!

The slide was produced by such an expert. The fact that it was leaked to a magazine does not change that.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 07:06 pm
@BillRM,
the sources in the diagram aren't hacks

not a huge fan of business insider, but their sources are generally verifiable
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 07:08 pm
@BillRM,
https://netec.org/blog/

https://www.aha.org

https://www.aha.org/2020-01-22-updates-and-resources-novel-coronavirus-2019-cov

Quote:
AHA Resources and Special Communications
Coronavirus Update: CMS Issues Information on Payment and Coverage Related to COVID-19
Mar 6, 2020
AHA Urges HHS to Take Regulatory Actions to Help Hospitals Respond to COVID-19
Mar 5, 2020
Coronavirus Update: Hospital Funding in Spending Package; Updated CDC Guidance for Health Care Workers
Mar 5, 2020
Coronavirus Update: Congress Reaches Deal on $8.3 Billion Coronavirus Spending Package
Mar 4, 2020
Coronavirus Update: CDC Releases Updated COVID-19 Guidance and Resources for Hospitals and Health Systems
Mar 3, 2020
Talking Points: Hospitals and Health Systems – COVID-19 Response
Mar 3, 2020
Press Release: AHA, ANA Urge Congress to Quickly Fund Health Care Readiness for Coronavirus
Feb 27, 2020
AHA, ANA Urge Congress to Quickly Fund Health Care Readiness for Coronavirus
Feb 27, 2020
More AHA Resources
AHA News
COVID-19 Update: News on coverage, tests and N95 respirators
Mar 6, 2020
Perspective: Teaming Up to Respond to Coronavirus
Mar 6, 2020
Coronavirus latest: Updates from Congress, CDC and CMS
Mar 5, 2020
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 08:00 am
@BillRM,
a2% lethality was what CDC was originally talking about. Now its at about 0.5% .Theyve been able to get a better handle from other countries.

BillRM

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 08:56 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

a2% lethality was what CDC was originally talking about. Now its at about 0.5% .Theyve been able to get a better handle from other countries.

The survive rate seem to depend on age and health conditions in other word it is death itself for old people with existing health problems such as myself an a minor problem for most people.

Nursing homes population will be wipe out but after visiting such even top of the line homes I would prefer to have a virus end my life.
farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 09:59 am
@BillRM,
make sure yer will is all in order. I too am of the age of concern.

The Spanish the 1919 Spanish flu was 180 different. The target population was the young , whose immune systems were fighting against themselves
farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 10:04 am
@farmerman,
since this is a retrovirus, it eveolves all sorts of new tricks to assure its survival and multiplication. Most fluse will reorder themselves and lethality drops since the flu's habit of killing its hosts is against its own prime directive to live and multiply. So weve already seen that immunity afforded by survival allows the damn thing to evolve and strike again and again. Also we see that some places have shown human to animal transmission.

This could be interesting observation-wise.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 05:21 pm
My question is are we going to shut the nation down for every flu season with a similar death total of coronavirus?
oralloy

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2020 05:23 pm
@BillRM,
Yes.

A flu season that is predicted to kill hundreds of thousands of Americans would also be justification for shutting down the nation.
BillRM

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 12:27 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Yes.

A flu season that is predicted to kill hundreds of thousands of Americans would also be justification for shutting down the nation.

Given the average yearly death rate from the flu then you are for shutting down the nation every year during flu season?

Take a look at the average repeat average yearly death numbers in the US due to the Flu that can be found on the CDC website.
farmerman

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 12:43 pm
@BillRM,
You forget the transmissibility of corona v seasonal rhinoviri and flus. This stuff is amazingly transmissible. I think they estimated at least 3.5 X transmissable over seasonal flu + the increased initial lthality.

You seem to still be caught up in denial .
Setanta

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2020 12:50 pm
I just voted up all of Oralloy's posts in this thread. Never in all time I've seen him here have I done something like that. I've also voted down all of Bill's posts--but that's nothing unusual. I normally don't vote down posts, but Bill richly deserves it in this thread.

1. Forums
  2. » Fear of the coronavirus?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 10:34:35